What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gypsy - The weekly review

Country Dragon

Juniors
I would suggest that Inglis is a better fullback than Slater is at the moment. Yet come Origin time, Inglis is moved back to centre where he still performs out of his skin. Inglis performs in both positions and I don't see any reason why Dugan can't either.

Queensland don't pay Inglis's salary, I think the point was he is paid too much to play in the centres. There's no doubt he can handle the position.

Mr Red

First Grade
I would suggest that Inglis is a better fullback than Slater is at the moment. Yet come Origin time, Inglis is moved back to centre where he still performs out of his skin. Inglis performs in both positions and I don't see any reason why Dugan can't either.

so whats your point?
do you see Dugan as long term center or fullback at the DRAGONS?
if you are thinking center than as godzilla mentions its a mis-management of the salary cap.
you cant pay "spine" salaries for non spine players, its that simple.

Dezziedc

Juniors
so whats your point?
do you see Dugan as long term center or fullback at the DRAGONS?
if you are thinking center than as godzilla mentions its a mis-management of the salary cap.
you cant pay "spine" salaries for non spine players, its that simple.

What? Sections of the field have specific salary bands? Get real. You employ a player to do a job for you on the field. If that means moving a player around for the better of the team, then that's what you do.

It's not like we are paying both Dugan and Quinlan 700K a year to be in the team.

What's your point? You can't pay a quality centre the same money as Dugan? If they are worth the money and you can afford it, you pay them what they are worth. Will Hopoate is on 800K. Josh Morris is on 550K. Jennings is on 500K. So are you saying none of those players are worth that?

Or are you saying that if Quinlan becomes a long term fullback we need to pay him 700k a year?

You pay the player for his ability as a footballer. Irrespective of what position he plays in. It becomes mismanagement when you pay overs for players who aren't worth what you pay for them.

grouch

First Grade
I know you're trying to be sarcastic but yeah, sections of the field do essentially have salary bands. If you're overspending on areas outside the big 4 positions - with the exception of out-and-out superstars like SBW - you run the risk of having an imbalanced side. You run the risk of cheap, plodding, meagre-skilled players in highly important crucial positions. Like Mitch Rein for example. By playing Dugan in the centres we're forced to endure with Rein at hooker and a small, speedbump fullback with zero kick return metres like Quinlan at fullback

BennyV

Referee
And those 'valuable' return meters have made all the difference over the last few months. You can see how it has improved team performance and we have won so many games off the back of them.

But we haven't 'dislodged' him. He is still in the team at centre.

Moving him from his best position is dislodging him champ.

The lastt few weeks has seen a big change in the teams attitude, which is whats wining us games. And the change in the teams attitude has nothing to do with Quinlan being played at fullback. But it could definitely be helped with extra momentum from tackle 1.

Minh

First Grade
There is yet to be a reason to think that Dugan cannot excel at centre and until that point in time there is no need to panic. Dugan yes he is on spine money but it's no more than what Jennings is on give or take. There have been many many players over the years to have made a big impact at centre and turn out to be match winners, let's at least give him a chance to prove his worth there. He is still a vital clog in this team.

Minh

First Grade
With Dugans talent and strength as a ball runner and tackle buster, centre may be ideal for him as long as he develops the right defense in that position. He has an excellent mentor in Mc gregor.

Dezziedc

Juniors
I know you're trying to be sarcastic but yeah, sections of the field do essentially have salary bands. If you're overspending on areas outside the big 4 positions - with the exception of out-and-out superstars like SBW - you run the risk of having an imbalanced side. You run the risk of cheap, plodding, meagre-skilled players in highly important crucial positions. Like Mitch Rein for example. By playing Dugan in the centres we're forced to endure with Rein at hooker and a small, speedbump fullback with zero kick return metres like Quinlan at fullback

So what is the salary band for spine? What is the salary band for front row? Second Row? What is acceptable pricing for these positions?

Actually, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I'm genuinely surprised that people think there are salary bands on the field.

You got watmough on 900K, Glenn Stewart on 800K. James Graham on 700k, Fifita on 650k. Are they acceptable wages to pay for their positions? Seems to me you have to compensate for players no matter what position they are in. If they are good, you pay money for them.

Not sure how putting Dugan at centre means we have to endure Rein. If he is at fullback or centre, we are still paying Dugan the same amount - the position doesn't impact whether we can afford to replace Rein. We have 2 replacement Hookers that can take his place if he isn't performing - most likely on less money combined than what Rein is on.

Here's a question - we are paying Joel Thompson 400k. We are happy to interchange him between second row and centre. If we were paying him 700k, it wouldn't be appropriate to swap him to centre because that position doesn't command that sort of money? Even though he has had some experience in that position?

Last edited:

Dezziedc

Juniors
Moving him from his best position is dislodging him champ.

The lastt few weeks has seen a big change in the teams attitude, which is whats wining us games. And the change in the teams attitude has nothing to do with Quinlan being played at fullback. But it could definitely be helped with extra momentum from tackle 1.

Well obviously your view and even if Dugan excels in the position he needs to be restricted to fullback. He can't play any other position on the field. No problemos - champ.

grouch

First Grade
So what is the salary band for spine? What is the salary band for front row? Second Row? What is acceptable pricing for these positions?

Actually, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I'm genuinely surprised that people think there are salary bands on the field.

You got watmough on 900K, Glenn Stewart on 800K. James Graham on 700k, Fifita on 650k. Are they acceptable wages to pay for their positions? Seems to me you have to compensate for players no matter what position they are in. If they are good, you pay money for them.

Not sure how putting Dugan at centre means we have to endure Rein. If he is at fullback or centre, we are still paying Dugan the same amount - the position doesn't impact whether we can afford to replace Rein. We have 2 replacement Hookers that can take his place if he isn't performing - most likely on less money combined than what Rein is on.

Here's a question - we are paying Joel Thompson 400k. We are happy to interchange him between second row and centre. If we were paying him 700k, it wouldn't be appropriate to swap him to centre because that position doesn't command that sort of money? Even though he has had some experience in that position?
You like making your argument with questions, I've noticed. It comes off as quite whiny. Thats just a note.

Anyway, your salary figures are either plucked from obscurity or your nephew Adam Quinlan has provided the inside goss. Either way, clearly there are exceptions and these must be managed correctly in accordance with the cap as a whole. Glenn Stewart has been forced out of Manly for example, paying Graham means the Dogs have no-names on the wing (and fullback atm) etc etc. These are decisions that are made to balance the squad. With Dugan in the centres we have an all-star back 5, which is nice, but you've got precious little left over for the players who is servicing and setting the platform for this backline

BennyV

Referee
There is yet to be a reason to think that Dugan cannot excel at centre and until that point in time there is no need to panic. Dugan yes he is on spine money but it's no more than what Jennings is on give or take. There have been many many players over the years to have made a big impact at centre and turn out to be match winners, let's at least give him a chance to prove his worth there. He is still a vital clog in this team.

Quite the contrary, I think Dugan would definitely make a good quality centre, but thats not the issue. The issue is that he is far better at fullback than he is at centre, and to move our best player frm his best position to accommodate a kid who is currently no more than a back up is madness. Better off using Quinlan as utility and letting Dugan shine in his best position.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Well obviously your view and even if Dugan excels in the position he needs to be restricted to fullback. He can't play any other position on the field. No problemos - champ.

Ive got no doubt that Dugan could make a good centre. If we had Slater, Inglis, Stewart etc, I'd be all for moving Dugan to accommodate them. But we dont. We are doing it for Quinlan, who (despite his support play) doesnt gain many metres frm fullback, is easily targetted under the high ball, poor positional play and poor as a last line of defense and doesnt break many tackles. These are fundamental abilities of a fullback, and we are moving a blok who excels in this regard for a bloke who has a lot of room for improvement.

Quinlans skills suit a utility, half or even hooker. He goes ok as a backup fullback. Theres no way to justify the second best fullback in NSW for him.

Dezziedc

Juniors
You like making your argument with questions, I've noticed. It comes off as quite whiny. Thats just a note.

Anyway, your salary figures are either plucked from obscurity or your nephew Adam Quinlan has provided the inside goss. Either way, clearly there are exceptions and these must be managed correctly in accordance with the cap as a whole. Glenn Stewart has been forced out of Manly for example, paying Graham means the Dogs have no-names on the wing (and fullback atm) etc etc. These are decisions that are made to balance the squad. With Dugan in the centres we have an all-star back 5, which is nice, but you've got precious little left over for the players who is servicing and setting the platform for this backline

I ask questions because I don't understand your reasoning. You say there are salary bands for positions without providing any proof. I'm asking you to provide that proof rather than personal opinion. If asking for proof sounds whiny, so be it. At this stage, salary bands in a team is just your opinion.

http://www.nospam9/nrl/rugby-league/players/highest-paid-players/

It is based off of only those salaries reported. I daresay there are more highly paid players (SBW being one) that aren't listed here that aren't part of a "spine".

And the fact you keep coming back with this relative jibe makes you look like you don't have answers to my questions - which you didn't answer. You're just deflecting it back at me to try to make me look stupid. That's just a note.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
I'm not sure why Quinlan is being written off as a fullback. I did not see the game last Saturday but it seemed like the majority of the 1,2,3's voting had Quinlan in there as having a blinder. Some of the best fullbacks make legendary transitions like Lockyer. Why shouldn't we have the one of the best ex-fullbacks in the game to possibly being the best centre in the game. Why can't it work...after one game I don't know how the calls can be made that it is not Dugan's position. As for Quinlan, he is small, yes but so was Preston Campbell and Billy Slater and I would say they are two of the best ever. Why does a fullback have to be huge? Isn't that for the wingers to be the Wendells and Folaus of first grade. You can say that being big makes a better tackler as the last line of defence, but again...Slater nails that one. I can see that once Quinaln gets his kick returns sorted, he too will be on that big payday...just watch.

If Quinlan is Dezzie's nephew then he is my cousin brother from another mother bullah.

Mr Red

First Grade

well said - thankyou
at least some people get it..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dugan seems to want to play centre and is enjoying it there at the moment. I feel he is doing so because he knows Hayne has a mortgage on the No.1 jersey and will do for a while. If Dugan wants to play rep football then he is probably challenging himself to play centre and make reps in that position. Dugan wants to play rep football so you can't blame him for that as all great footballers want to play at the highest level.

Hayne is simply untouchable at the moment and the best fullback by a mile. Duges has no chance of replacing a fully fit Hayne.

In saying that he can still play fullback for the Dragons like Inglis does for the Rabbits. I think he probably will end up fullback once he cements his centre spot for NSW. Time will tell. If he gets touched up in SOO2 he may move back to fullback quicker than we think. If he has a blinder he may stay longer and push JMoz out of the squad.

He may even move back to fullback once Dylan Farrell is back from injury. He may be doing this for the team which is not a bad thing at all.

Minh

First Grade
Quite the contrary, I think Dugan would definitely make a good quality centre, but thats not the issue. The issue is that he is far better at fullback than he is at centre, and to move our best player frm his best position to accommodate a kid who is currently no more than a back up is madness. Better off using Quinlan as utility and letting Dugan shine in his best position.

With all due respect BennyV, Dugan is still very much an unknown quantity at Centre. The ultimate guage for us is to tune in to origin tomorrow if he's playing centre. He's playing alongside and up against the best players n the world, should give quite a clear indication.