What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hacker's illegal rugby league website shutdown

Hacker's illegal rugby league website shutdown

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...legal-rl-website/story-e6freuzi-1226024299129

TWO hours before the NRL season kicked off, a young hacker was politely told to shut down his illegal website which had been streaming live matches - or face going to jail.

The NRLfixit.com.au website was started last season by a Rozelle youngster just out of high school.

In two days, "Liam" - as he wants to be known - had 6000 members and by the end of last season the number had grown to 12,000. He believed he would have tripled that this year.

Flushed with the success of his site, the young entrepreneur moved from amateur hacker to budding businessman and began looking for sponsors.

But NRL officials were not impressed.

"Organisations pay large sums of money for the rights to televise these matches," NRL spokesman John Brady said. "And, like any brand, we have to protect ourselves and our clients against piracy."

The NRL realised someone was streaming their games - but hunting down who, where and how was beyond their expertise. Enter private eye and cyber crime expert Ken Gamble.

What he found amazed him. The site was sourced back to the young hacker, a Wests Tigers supporter, in the heart of Balmain territory. "This was a smart kid with no formal training but an absolute computer genius," Mr Gamble said.

A team of cyber experts working for Mr Gamble tracked down 20-year-old Liam, living at home with his mum and dad at Rozelle.

Internet Fraud Watchdog and the International Association of Cybercrime Prevention will hold the 4th Regional Conference on Cybercrime and International Criminal Co-operation in Sydney on May 19 and 20.

TiggaPlease

Lol. "Hacker"? So if i plug my foxtel box into my PC and broadcast it on the net that would make me a hacker too?

The quality of journalism in that "newspaper" will never cease to amaze me

no name

Coach
'An absolute computer genius.'

I suppose Gamble needs future gigs tracking these people down.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the Telegraph need to understand the meaning of the word "hacker"

quality journalism

Chook Norris

First Grade
shame the site got cut off, many fans living overseas were probably dependant on that... as well as interstate fans who can't rely on channel 9 to broadcast at a decent time

Firey_Dragon

Coach
shame the site got cut off, many fans living overseas were probably dependant on that... as well as interstate fans who can't rely on channel 9 to broadcast at a decent time
I live in Canada, sometimes it was the only way to watch the action. It's no coincidence that the NRL launched livenrl.tv in the same week that nrlfix.com was shut down. It's now US$90 a year which is pretty reasonable and I'm happy to pay it, except livenrl.tv doesn't show 9 games live and it looks like it's already going to be unreliable with the Dragons v Sharks apparently not being broadcast on monday night.

It'd be great if the NRL wasn't run by geniuss and they realised the value of having a quality streaming service, but year after year they disappoint. Still it's better than last year when they charged US$6 per game through omnisport.tv and broadcast a 4:3 stream stretched to widescreen and didn't even show 50% of the games.

Last edited:

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Complete and utter bullsh*t article form the Telegraph as usual.

As for this Ken Gamble character. He has obviously spent so much time perving on cheating spouses that he has completely lost touch with reality.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Victorians, SA and WA residents all have access to Foxtel if they so desire.

It's up to the NRL to put a rocket up Channel 9 about Friday night football.

bomberman

Juniors
Victorians, SA and WA residents all have access to Foxtel if they so desire.

It's up to the NRL to put a rocket up Channel 9 about Friday night football.

But Foxtel doesnt show them live, the games are on at about 11:30 and the second is on at about 1am. Pay tv is no help at all for channel 9 games. You would think the NRL would have a online service in which you could even pay to watch those games.

applesauce

Bench
But NRL officials were not impressed.

"Organisations pay large sums of money for the rights to televise these matches," NRL spokesman John Brady said. "And, like any brand, we have to protect ourselves and our clients against piracy."

Maybe now they know how Melbourne fans feel forking out heaps of money to support the code and yet are treated like sh*t.

The NRL deserve everything it gets till they sell the media rights for correct worth and nationalise telecasts (at a decent hour at the least).

Latest posts