What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAL Major SF L2 :: Sat :: Melbourne 4 Adelaide 0 @ Telstra (MEL progress to GF)

HAL Major SF result :: Melbourne vs Adelaide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jobdog

Live Update Team
hal_majorsf_l2_meladl.jpg

mvfc-home.jpg
VS
adl-utd-home.jpg

MELBOURNE VICTORY FC:

1.Michael THEOKLITOS (gk), 2.Kevin MUSCAT (Captain), 3.Michael THWAITE, 5.Sebastian RYALL, 7.Matthew KEMP, 8.Grant BREBNER, 9.Danny ALLSOPP, 10.Archie THOMPSON, 11.NEY FABIANO, 12.Rodrigo VARGAS, 13.Nathan ELASI, 14.Billy CELESKI, 15.Tom PONDELJAK, 16.Carlos HERNANDEZ, 17.Jose Luis LOPEZ, 18.Leigh BROXHAM, 19.Evan BERGER, 20.Mitchell LANGERAK (gk), 22.Nick WARD.*three to be omitted

In: Michael THWAITE (promoted), Nathan ELASI (promoted), Leigh BROXHAM (promoted)
Out: Nil
Others Unavailable: Nil​

ADELAIDE UNITED FC:

20.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 2.Robert CORNTHWAITE, 3.ALEMAO, 4.Angelo COSTANZO, 6.CASSIO, 7.Lucas PANTELIS, 9.Paul AGOSTINO, 10.CRISTIANO, 13.Travis DODD (capt.), 14.Scott JAMIESON, 15.Jonas SALLEY, 16.Daniel MULLEN, 18.Fabian BARBIERO, 19.Sasa OGNENOVSKI, 22. DIEGO, 24.Paul REID, 25.Robert YOUNIS, 27.Michael MARRONE, 28.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 30.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk). *four to be omitted

In: Robert CORNTHWAITE (returns from suspension), CASSIO (returns from injury), Angelo COSTANZO (promoted), Jonas SALLEY (promoted), Robert YOUNIS (promoted), DIEGO (returns from injury).
Out: Kristian SARKIES (ankle - 3 weeks), Michael VALKANIS (calf – 2 weeks).
Others Unavailable: Daniel BELTRAME (gk) (knee – season), Jason SPAGNUOLO (long term injury).​

REFEREE:

Matthew Breeze​

Last edited:

griffo346

First Grade
it will be unlikely that the reds come back so melbourne will hold on here IMO

but im praying for a victory to us 2-0 would be nice :) then extra time :)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Adelaide United are aiming to halt a four match losing streak against the Melbourne Victory. No current Hyundai A-League club has lost more than five consecutive matches against another club before, the current record of five consecutive losses against another club held by Perth Glory against the Queensland Roar.
LINK

melbourne look the goods but adelaide will be ready so it should be a top game

i don't think adelaide will care too much since they have another crack and another week to play football might do them better than having another week off after just having one and disrupting the rhythm

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
4-0... 6-0 on aggregate. Sounds familiar :sarcasm:

Into the final ten minutes.

QLD will take them to the cleaners.

Timmah

Staff member
4-0 Fulltime.

Melbourne Grand Finalists, Adelaide just biding their time til QLD put 5 or 6 on them.

Timmah

Staff member
Speaking of post match... Aurelio Vidmar went mental. Silently, not loudly... but he lashed out big time:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25056295-5000940,00.html

Adelaide United 'will never win anything', coach Aurelio Vidmar says

By Val Migliaccio
February 15, 2009
ADELAIDE United coach Aurelio Vidmar might have written his own death warrant when he blamed the Reds 4-0 loss to Melbourne Victory on "politics" then labelled Adelaide a "piss-ant town".
The A-League's coach of the year blamed certain individuals inside and outside the club for Adelaide's capitulation at the Telstra Dome before 35,000 fans.

Vidmar could also face fines and punishment from the Football Federation Australia for allegedly bringing the game into disrepute after he seemingly lost his cool.

Vidmar then stormed out of the post-match press conference and wouldn't allow captain Travis Dodd to answer any questions on why the club was riddled with "politics."

Vidmar's extraordinary outburst almost copy-cats the demise of ex-boss John Kosmina in 2007.

Kosmina was sacked four days after the 2007 grand final disaster when Adelaide lost 0-6 at the Telstra Dome.

"It's a disgrace," Vidmar said the 0-4 thrashing.

"We owe the world an apology, a performance like that was a disgrace.

"Politics, that's what I put it down to.

"There's too many people in this club with hidden agendas.

"That's the problem.

"That 4-0 result tonight was politics, nothing else.

"Whether you're involved directly or indirectly you have an effect.

"It has an effect on everyone.

"Because of a piss-ant town this club will never win anything, until you get rid of that crap."

But Vidmar refused to name the suspects accused in what he described as bringing the club to its knees last night.

Vidmar sad the demise of the club started three weeks ago.

"You should know, you can name them," Vidmar told the Sunday Mail.

"You name them, you should know.

"Everyone's involved mate, everyone, it's a disgrace.

"And you know, because you're (Sunday Mail) involved as well."

Vidmar said Adelaide was a happy environment until a few weeks ago.

He said that Monday was D-Day for the player's group.

"Things change very quickly," Vidmar said.

"Someone's not happy with something they'll do anything they can to fracture it.

"Jealously whatever it is, whether it's ego, it smacks of all that at our club at this time.

"It's the underlying things around the club.

"I'm not going to name, names."

Vidmar then alluded to not caring about his future.

"I could not give a damn," he said.

"I want to be the coach yes, to work in a happy environment.

"You can't tell me that they've forgotten to play football overnight.

"There's a lot of sh*t in your mind.

"You can't play football you can't do anything."

Vidmar said he can't stop the "politics" in the club.

"It's going to be a massive heart to heart (with the players) on Monday morning," he said.

Adelaide chairman Mel Patzwald didn't want to comment.

A FFA spokesperson said the games governing body was extremely disappointed with Vidmars comments.

"At the end of the day its 11 players against 11 players and not politics," the FFA spokesperson said.

"Were just looking forward to Saturday's preliminary final where Adelaide United meet Queensland Roar at Hindmarsh Stadium."

Vidmar made an incredible five changes to the starting XI which was convincingly beaten by Melbourne (0-2) at Hindmarsh last weekend.

Vidmar threw away the blueprint which earned United accolades throughout the A-League and AFC Champions League season by ditching match day stability out the loser's door.

Within an hour, the club released this:

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=26639

Official apology
Adelaide United FC Coach Aurelio Vidmar has released an apology regarding comments he made at the post match media conference following the Melbourne Victory match.
“In tonight’s press conference immediately after our Melbourne Victory match, I regrettably said some things in the heat of the moment.
I would like to apologise to the city and people of Adelaide for the discouraging comments I made. I grew up in Adelaide and I love the city and people. We have fantastic fans and support for the club and my comments were out of order for a club and city I care so much about.
I encourage all of our fantastic supporters to stick with us as we take on Queensland Roar in next Saturday’s Preliminary Final and we’ll do our best to get to the Grand Final in a fortnight against Melbourne, and hope to make the whole of South Australia and city of Adelaide proud of what we are trying to achieve for this great club.”

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I think he's entitled to be a little upset after being spanked 6-0 on aggregate :p

griffo346

First Grade
I dont understand this club always chokes in big finals

this yr alone

ACL 5-0 on aggregate
semi v melb 6-0

wtf we have had a decent year except them 2 games

i personally believe that we will group together and win against qld

Latest posts