What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves for the future.

The Colonel

Immortal
That said, I think I'd give him $400k just for the chance to take that risk.

Glad you aren't in charge of recruitment then..... $400,000 is one thing but its unlikely he would be enticed on a one or two year deal for that sort of money and that sort of long term deal is too big a risk given the success starvation we are facing. It would be better to persevere with some young players like Sezer, Tuimavave or the like and hope they can come through in 2013 or earlier.....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yep. Of everyone available, Sandow's clearly the best option. He's a risk, but less of a risk than Quade Cooper (for example).

He doesn't have as much potential as Cooper (who's potentially as good as Lockyer in his prime), but Sandow is potentially as good as Scott Prince.

But how much would it take to sign Sandow? And how much would be too much?

To be honest, we have the forwards, we have good enough hookers, we have potential in the backs but maybe one classy centre short. What we lack is a half back, I would say as we have the cash and we will never win a comp unless we have a semi ok half I make him a offer he couldn't refuse which I would think is 250k to 300k. Which I now some will laugh at me but look at the dogs they paid I think around 750k for 3 years for Hodkingson. While Hodkingson has potential, he is not yet in the class of Sandow. You paid a player what they are worth to the side and at the moment we need a half back with some skill

Eels Dude

Coach
To be honest, we have the forwards, we have good enough hookers, we have potential in the backs but maybe one classy centre short. What we lack is a half back, I would say as we have the cash and we will never win a comp unless we have a semi ok half I make him a offer he couldn't refuse which I would think is 250k to 300k. Which I now some will laugh at me but look at the dogs they paid I think around 750k for 3 years for Hodkingson. While Hodkingson has potential, he is not yet in the class of Sandow. You paid a player what they are worth to the side and at the moment we need a half back with some skill

We'll be lucky to avoid the wooden spoon until this happens. I just hope Kearney's not in the Bellamy mode where he thinks you can turn any average player into a great player. If he thinks that the next 3 years could be a disaster.

Suitman

Post Whore
Pou Pou,

You're having a lend surely?

$400 k's for Sandow.
Seriously you are only up for an argument, and I'm not wasting my time - neither should anyone else.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
To be honest, we have the forwards, we have good enough hookers, we have potential in the backs but maybe one classy centre short.

We lack a class centre. We lack a wide running backrower and a ball playing lock. We certainly lack a hooker who can really take pressure of the halves. We then lack a halfback.

Really their are at least four or five positions in the team that could and should be filled to make the team a real threat. I'm not talking top class players but better than average first graders in a couple of those positions at least.

Signing a player like Sandow, regardless of how talented he may or may not be in other peoples eyes, won't make the team a top four threat.

Suitman

Post Whore
Agree. This idea that we should pay the world for that extra special State of Origin standard half-back is just a pipe-dream. There aren`t that many of them in existence. Look at how hard it`s been for NSW to find a great half-back. There`s only about three really great halves in the comp: Thurston, Prince and Cronk - with maybe Mitchell Pearce a close fourth.

Why?
You've just named 3. That's 3 other clubs who have one.
Why should we, year after year, accept the sh*t kicker halfbacks?
They are out there, and we should get one.

Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
$400 k's for Sandow.

Like Joshuatheeel said, you pay a guy what he's worth to your club. A good halfback is, at the moment, worth more to our club than he is to anyone else's.

And when the next TV deal is done, $400k will be the new $250k anyway.

The Colonel

Immortal
Why?

Suity

They are out there Suity but are linked long term to other clubs.... and those clubs are unlikely to release them to us regardless of what sort of money gets thrown about.

Suitman

Post Whore
They are out there Suity but are linked long term to other clubs.... and those clubs are unlikely to release them to us regardless of what sort of money gets thrown about.

There's still one out there that needs a sh*t load of money thrown at him.
We need to start being aggressive.
Thurston last year signed a new contract with the Cowboys?? WTF? Just one example of a top line half and us not being remotely in the race.

Suity

ParraSteve

Juniors
Id rather a gun player from NYC and risk them rather than paying 400k for sandow.

I'd make an offer to Sutton, but no more than 200k and heavily incented contract at that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sutton does have a bad attitude.

Sandow seems like he might be a bit of a mad merkin, but that could just be enthusiasm. At least he looks like he wants to be out there.

Eels Dude

Coach
Why?

Suity

Suity, for someone who comes across as an intelligent guy you're not making much sense. It's all well and good to say yeah we should sign a top notch halfback... but if none are off contract then what can you do? You either wait thre or four years till they do come off contract and then make a play for them, but in the meantime what else is the club supposed to do but revert to plan B. Thurston, Prince, Cronk, Pearce are all wrapped up long term. We cannot just sign those guys you know.

The Colonel

Immortal
Thurston last year signed a new contract with the Cowboys?? WTF? Just one example of a top line half and us not being remotely in the race.

Suity

We were linked on a regular basis to Thurston and often Suiy it isn't just a case of throwing money at a particular player.

Do you know how many top class halfbacks are off contract this season?

Not many when you consider that Sandow and Seymour are the better options at the moment.

Darius Boyd would be the best option on the current market and thrown into the 6. jersey.

Eels Dude

Coach

Suity

We were in the race... At the time we were believed to have offered him 700k a year. But he either wanted to stay at the Cowboys or enjoy better coin in overseas rugby. In the end an upped offer by the Cowboys resulted in him staying in league. He wasn't interested in signing with another NRL club.

Suitman

Post Whore
Suity, for someone who comes across as an intelligent guy you're not making much sense. It's all well and good to say yeah we should sign a top notch halfback... but if none are off contract then what can you do? You either wait thre or four years till they do come off contract and then make a play for them, but in the meantime what else is the club supposed to do but revert to plan B. Thurston, Prince, Cronk, Pearce are all wrapped up long term. We cannot just sign those guys you know.

My point is that we should have one already. There's been plenty of chances over the past 2/3 seasons to nab one. And look who we bought????
OK, we don't have one now, but that shouldn't stop us from being super agressive, (and as I said last night - the promises made by 3P re having sponsors come on board) and offering great 3rd party deals hasn't materialised. We haven't even seen that greatly promised sponsor come on board yet. :roll:
I'd throw the books at the only talented half off contract next year.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
I'd throw the books at the only talented half off contract next year.

Suity

That appears to be Sandow at the current moment.

But;

Suitman said:
Pou Pou,

You're having a lend surely?

$400 k's for Sandow.
Seriously you are only up for an argument, and I'm not wasting my time - neither should anyone else.

Suity