What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hannant Looks At Tits.

JW

Coach
Hannant is homing in on the Gold Coast

OFF-CONTRACT Bronco Ben Hannant has approached the Gold Coast Titans to discuss moving `home' next season.

The 23-year-old Gold Coast born and bred prop, who acts as his own manager, yesterday confirmed he had sounded out the Titans as he weighs up his options heading into 2009 and beyond.

It comes after Titans managing director Michael Searle last week declaring
Hannant and fellow homegrown off-contract Broncos in Darius Boyd and Steve Michaels would be welcome to return to the Gold Coast.

"I am having a look," said Hannant, who hopes to have his future sorted within the next month. "I am speaking to them."

The young frontrower also began talks this week with Brisbane and has been linked to the Dragons. While it is unlikely he would leave Queensland, Hannant said he was torn between the city he grew up in and the club that made him the player he is today.

"I have got to weigh that up," said Hannant. "I am just going in with an open mind. Hopefully I can work something out with my club, which would be great.

"I am trying not to think about it too much and just focus on my football."

Hannant, who won a premiership with the Broncos in 2006, said he would always have a strong connection with Brisbane but has a sentimental spot in his heart for the Gold Coast.

"When I was younger, I definitely thought that (it would be good to grow up and play for the Gold Coast)," he said.

"But they weren't there when I finished school, there were no Titans at that time. I live on the Gold Coast but I am at a really good club and I am loving where I am at."

Married with two small children Hannant, who lives in the Tallebudgera Valley and commutes to Brisbane, said his decision would hinge largely on what was best for his young family.

"This is where I want to be (living on the Gold Coast)," said Hannant.

"Even if I sign for a long term with the Broncos I am not going to move from here.

"I love the Gold Coast. It is where I have lived my whole life and this is where I am going to be when I retire."

He said he was not concerned by the Broncos' delay in deciding on a new coach to replace Wayne Bennett.

"Brisbane are a really good organisation," he said. "They are not silly buggers who run the place.

"They are smart and they are going to get us a good coach.

"Ivan Henjak is an awesome coach and if he gets the job I would be stoked to stay. He knows his stuff."

Searle yesterday said the Titans were keen on securing Hannant's signature.

Hannant also played under Titans coach John Cartwright when he was an assistant at the Sydney Roosters.

"He is a Gold Coast boy," said Searle

"If we could do something with Ben that would be great.

"It is always great to get a Gold Coast kid home."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/04/10/9903_gold-coast-sport.html

Big Pete

Referee
Hmmm doesn't bode well for us if the Titans sign Hannant. Either way he's a superb prop and I can only wish him the best!

skeepe

Immortal
How can the Gold Coast afford all these players? Zillman, Costigan if you believe the rumours, now they're chasing Hannant... something doesn't add up here.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have thought he was more important to the Bronco's ranks than the Titans, and if push come to shove, the Bronco's would do everything they could to secure him. I don't think it'd be possible to pay overs for him, he's such a solid consistent performer who gets the job done week in, week out.

Billigan

Juniors
ih ope the broncos can sign hannant, boyd, michaels and ennis as they will be a big loss. i think the broncos must sign hannant as he is going to become a test player.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I'm confident that Hannant will be with the Broncos from 2009 onwards. Boyd and Michaels are another story. With the signing of Folau, Michaels will be shoved back on the wing, and it may not be where he wants to stay, which could lead to him looking elsewhere now in anticipation. I could care less about Boyd, as granted he has had a good start to the year, but there are other wingers at Brisbane who could have done the same things with the kind of ball he's been receiving. And they won't run sideways trying to get the ball out of danger.

JW

Coach
I'm not all that worried to be honest.

If the Broncos are really serious about keeping him at the club then it's extremely unlikely the honchos will let him slip away. He's his own manager and given the rise in his game in recent times he simply has to do some window shopping.

And going by Ben's own words, Henjak as coach may provide extra incentive to stay put.

All in all, i'd say certainly nothing to panic about. Yet anyway.

The only players who I fear we may lose are Michaels and to a lesser extent Boyd. Steve has made it clear in the past that he much prefers centre. So unless the new coach intends to put Folau on the wing and him in the centres (which to be honest isn't the craziest idea around), then i'd say he's odds on to be looking elsewhere.

Enter Denan Kemp, so all's not lost.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The only players who I fear we may lose are Michaels and to a lesser extent Boyd. Steve has made it clear in the past that he much prefers centre. So unless the new coach intends to put Folau on the wing and him in the centres (which to be honest isn't the craziest idea around), then i'd say he's odds on to be looking elsewhere.

Enter Denan Kemp, so all's not lost.

Glad you agree with me. Apart from Folau on the wing. He'll be in the centres pairing Hodges.

Titanic

First Grade
Costigan would be out of place at the Coast. Hannant would be a great asset as would Michaels but Boyd? Not for mine.

badav

Bench
Hannant would be a big loss to the club. Brisbane have to resign him.
Steve michaels, although playing great footy is as good as gone in my opinion.

salivor

First Grade
I don't know how serious is but it's just another player linked to another club in the wake of Bennett and there is also talk that several players have get out clauses in their contracts if Bennett Leaves. The club just needs to get on to announcing a coach for next year and beyond as soon as possible as players don't like to sign for coachless clubs.

Dazzat

First Grade
Honestly, we hear this talk from so many players just before they start their contract negotiations. Didn't used to be such a problem with Brisbane players before because management knew they really didn't want to go Sydney. But now the Gold Coast is succeeding, there's a bit of competition. Hannant probably wouldn't even need to sell up and move ...

It would be very disappointment to see Hannant leave ... he came to the club as a reserve grader at the Roosters and has become the club's forward leader.

Billigan

Juniors
now stagg is tipped to move to super league and lockyer is getting offers from the super league to. I'm sick of the super league stealing our players just becasue we have 10 times better players than they could ever make.

DeeGan

Bench
How can the Gold Coast afford all these players? Zillman, Costigan if you believe the rumours, now they're chasing Hannant... something doesn't add up here.

The last week has really highlighted one thing: you're one of THE biggest tools on this site. You take a loss well.

The players we "target" aren't exactly household names that command top dollar. I mean, Costigan albeit a rep player, isn't going to be a player we pay massive money for. Neither is Hannant.

I think we're healthy in the prop department (keeping in mind we have some really talented players coming through as well) though Hannant would be a welcome addition.

Billigan

Juniors
in the sunday mail steve michaels is having a cry because folau is going to play in the centres next year and michaels wants to play in the centres.

Michaels quoted that he likes the centres but he does'nt like playing on the wing as he does'nt get much ball.

What a baby if he does'nt want to play on the wing then piss off we have other players that would like to play on the wing.

Latest posts