What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy 99th Birthday South Sydney

Choppies

Coach
From The History of Rugby League clubs. page 33 (South Sydney section) an excerpt from 1908-09 A tradition of excellence.
In 1909, the final premiership table saw Souths finish ahead of Balmain on 18 points.
After each team won it's respective semi-final, the two clubs were scheduled to meet in the final. The NSWRL decided, in it's wisdom, to play the match as a curtain-raiser to the fourth 'Kangaroos V Wallabies' match. In a bizarre series of events leading up to match day, first Souths and then Balmain said they wouldn't play as a supporting fixture.
However, on the day Souths turned up, kicked off at the scheduled time of 2.00 pm. Scored a try against a non-existant opposition and were declared premiers.

t-ba

Post Whore
They're Mixo vermin, what do you expect. They don't even have the decency to Bribe Greg Hartley to actually pretend they're fair.

Happy Birthday Souths. Congratulations for sticking it to Uncle Rupert, in particular.

McCrud

Juniors
t-ba said:
Happy Birthday Souths. Congratulations for sticking it to Uncle Rupert, in particular.

They have the wood on Manly in that department, that's for sure.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
innsaneink said:
My version?
:lol:

Its the general consensus bud...

I understand that, but there is no evidence that Souths ever agreed to forfeit. A story can change a lot in 90 years.

innsaneink

Referee
S.S.T.I.D said:
I understand that, but there is no evidence that Souths ever agreed to forfeit. A story can change a lot in 90 years.

LOL....every recollection of the event reports a mutual decision.

Provide evidence to the contrary.

Bumble

First Grade
innsaneink said:
LOL....every recollection of the event reports a mutual decision.

Provide evidence to the contrary.

Provide non-hearsay to prove YOUR version.

innsaneink

Referee
Bumble said:
Provide non-hearsay to prove YOUR version.

LOL...History books will do me...the same history books that list Souths as being awarded the first two premiers.

t-ba said:
They're Mixo vermin, what do you expect. They don't even have the decency to Bribe Greg Hartley to actually pretend they're fair.

Thanks t-bar. :)

RL1908

Bench
wittyfan said:
I wonder what would have happened if they had kicked off out on the full?

Under the RL laws at the time, the ball would have been returned to the centre of the field and a scrum called. Balmain's failure to form for the scrum would have earned Souths a penalty. From that point there are obviously numerous options/events that could have followed resulting in Souths scoring.

In any event, the mere taking of the kick-off was enough for Souths to be awarded the match.

As for whether there was an agreement between both sides not to turn up, the only source to support that it happened is Balmain's collective oral history. While that doesn't mean it should be dismissed, the newspapers & archives provide nothing to support that it happened.

The day before the match, Balmain officials called on the offices of the NSWRL, demanding that the match be put on a separate day (i.e. not on the undercard of the Wallabies v Kangaroos). Souths officials did not go to that meeting, and it was clear they had every intention of turning up to play the next day.

It also should be noted that in those days the competition table points continued to be tallied during the play-offs! Souths were two points ahead of Balmain. A Balmain win would have given them 2 points, leaving both teams equal. That would have triggered a second Final (Grand Final).

Given Souths had only been beaten once since the League began, & they were a formidable team, Balmain were rated in all reports I read as long odds to beat Souths twice to take the premiership. By forfeiting the Final they were not giving up as much as it perhaps appears.

The reason they did it was to force the NSWRL to lose money & cause a new leadership to be installed. If you want to get into it more there is an article here:
http://www.RL1908.com/articles/balmain-1909.htm

Bumble

First Grade
RL1908 said:
Under the RL laws at the time, the ball would have been returned to the centre of the field and a scrum called. Balmain's failure to form for the scrum would have earned Souths a penalty. From that point there are obviously numerous options/events that could have followed resulting in Souths scoring.

In any event, the mere taking of the kick-off was enough for Souths to be awarded the match.

As for whether there was an agreement between both sides not to turn up, the only source to support that it happened is Balmain's collective oral history. While that doesn't mean it should be dismissed, the newspapers & archives provide nothing to support that it happened.

The day before the match, Balmain officials called on the offices of the NSWRL, demanding that the match be put on a separate day (i.e. not on the undercard of the Wallabies v Kangaroos). Souths officials did not go to that meeting, and it was clear they had every intention of turning up to play the next day.

It also should be noted that in those days the competition table points continued to be tallied during the play-offs! Souths were two points ahead of Balmain. A Balmain win would have given them 2 points, leaving both teams equal. That would have triggered a second Final (Grand Final).

Given Souths had only been beaten once since the League began, & they were a formidable team, Balmain were rated in all reports I read as long odds to beat Souths twice to take the premiership. By forfeiting the Final they were not giving up as much as it perhaps appears.

The reason they did it was to force the NSWRL to lose money & cause a new leadership to be installed. If you want to get into it more there is an article here:
http://www.RL1908.com/articles/balmain-1909.htm

Thanks for that mate...

Ink, where are you?

innsaneink

Referee
Bumble said:
Thanks for that mate...

Ink, where are you?

:lol::lol:

What?

Looks like hearsay to me.

But I can see when something suits your argument its fact, and when its something you dont particularly like, its hearsay....a great way to go thru life, eh?

Bumble

First Grade
innsaneink said:
:lol::lol:

What?

Looks like hearsay to me.

But I can see when something suits your argument its fact, and when its something you dont particularly like, its hearsay....a great way to go thru life, eh?

I wasn't pointing out to you that the hearsay reflects what I thought, it was the fact that you couldn't even get that small shred of evidence to show that Souths ever cheated.

Fact: Souths most Premierships, Magpies most spoons.

:)

innsaneink

Referee
The passage Choppies posted will do me...from the book title, "The history of Rugby League clubs."...enough evidence for me.

Fact: Souths= Purchased & owned.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
RL1908 covered it well in post #54.

Welcome aboard RL1908. :thumn

What are your views on the political machinations of the time? I understand there was some dispute between Balmian and the NSWRL. A power struggle amongst delegates?

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
buster bunny said:
Souths and the Roosters are the same age so both will be 100 years old next year. The Roosters are celebrating their 100th season this year but they are not 100 years old yet

Absolute rubbish this year they are playing in their 100th season, you obviously can not count, might try using your fingers! As for the bunnys as a club they are 100 years old as well, although not playing thier 100th season. Congrats to both cluns.

t-ba

Post Whore
Rotten Rooster said:
Absolute rubbish this year they are playing in their 100th season, you obviously can not count, might try using your fingers! As for the bunnys as a club they are 100 years old as well, although not playing thier 100th season. Congrats to both cluns.

And you can't count.

As a child born in 1998 won't be ten years old in 2007, so won't clubs founded in 1908 be 100 years old in 2007. When the Roosters 99th birthday ticks over, the Roosters will be in thier hundredth year of existance, but will not be one hundred years old. They will have to wait until their hundredth birthday to be one hundred years old.

Latest posts