What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy 99th Birthday South Sydney

the bondi spy

Juniors
Le KooK said:
I cannot give any credibility to the howls of Roosters supporters that argue that it is somehow acceptable to change the name of your club (numerous times) for 'marketing purposes'. When Roosters supporters are questioned about these name changes, they simply start yelling "but we're registered as the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club!", as if this token gesture somehow alleviates the shame of multiple name changes.

South Sydney definately get more credit for their history then the Roosters IMO, I don't know how Roosters fans pluck up the courage to have a swipe at Souths to be honest...

After the way your club was handed the comp by Simpkins and the nrl YOU MIGHT WANT TO RETHINK HOW YOU THROW THE TERM CREDABILITY AROUND.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
RL1908 said:
To answer Willow's question (back a few pages) there was a serious undercurrent of discontent amongst North Sydney officials (led by Alexander Knox) - they convinced Balmain officials to forfeit. Their objective was overthrow the NSWRL admin or even form a new League. Balmain held fund-raising meetings after the Final to get enough money to launch legal action. They weren't called "Balmainiacs" for nothing!

There is more in my book (The Rugby Rebellion) & the link I provided. [I didn't come on here to plug the book - I've sold out of copies & as far as I know there are very few left in bookshops anyway]
Thanks for that. I note from your site that Alexander Knox was subsequently banned for life. But given the events beforehand, it looks likes it was a close thing.

In summary, Norths and Balmain were of the view that Souths and Easts had too much say in the running of the NSWRL. Disputes arising out of home ground issues.

The subsequent upheaval, in relative terms, was one of the most controversial times in the game's history.

There was obviously a lot more to the Final than the dispute over it being a curtain-raiser. The competition was still in it's infancy and not exactly flushed with cash, in fact the NSWRL was close to broke.

The reasons for the decision to have the 1909 Final as a curtain raiser are there for debate, but I think they were understandable. Having the Wallabies v Kangaroos match was an effort to get the NSWRL and its backers back in the black.

But it does seem that the progamming of the premiership decider was the excuse (or the spark) which saw Balmain escalate the wider argument. A view backed up by the notion that Souths were hot favourites anyway.

RL1908

Bench
A good summation Willow.

It is also important to note that the disharmony between the RL clubs (& it is pleasing to see that it is continuing by the posts on this thread!) existed for years BEFORE they were formed in 1908.

The clubs were not "clubs" in the sense of the word that we take it to mean today, and that they became. In 1908 (and 1900 in RU) each district club was more akin to a representative body (in the way the NSWRL looks after NSW) than a "club". When men voted in 1908 to form a RL club they were, to their way of thinking, switching the allegiance of their district, not inventing something new.

That is also why, in my view, arguments about which 1908 club was formed first are really not significant. 1908 Founding Clubs - who was first? The NSWRL divided Sydney into districts broadly following the NSWRU's district scheme map from 1900 - being the first RL club formed made no difference given you couldn't claim another district's area. All that mattered was that the club was formed and turned up at Round 1.

As someone mentioned elsewhere, the new Gold Coast club began its bid for inclusion in the NRL in 1999 http://www.titans.com.au/ History page - what date were the Titans born? Is Parramatta older than Manly? Is Cronulla older than Penrith?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I saw the Founding Clubs article link but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Another issue which I look forward to.

I fully appreciate the RU to RL district thing. Must have been extraordinary times and it has always fascinated me, but quite possibly pretty ordinary for those who there at the time.

what date were the Titans born?

Ah, the complexities of NRL/NSWRL/QRL/etc/FirstGrade.

The RL name 'Titans' was born in 2006.

The Gold Coast 'big league' were born as per the record books, in 1988.

'Seagulls' / 'Gladiators' / 'Giants' / 'Chargers' / 'Titans' 1988-1998 ~ 2007-

is the summary.

mightybears

Bench
RL1908 said:
That is also why, in my view, arguments about which 1908 club was formed first are really not significant. 1908 Founding Clubs - who was first? The NSWRL divided Sydney into districts broadly following the NSWRU's district scheme map from 1900 - being the first RL club formed made no difference given you couldn't claim another district's area. All that mattered was that the club was formed and turned up at Round 1.

norths got issued receipt number 1, so i'm saying the red n black were first!

and happy birthday souths, and the rest of the 1908ers