What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy 99th Birthday South Sydney

nqboy

First Grade
Oh yeah, and Happy Birthday Souths.

Anyone else think they're trying to draw the contrast between them and the Rorters?

RL1908

Bench
To answer Willow's question (back a few pages) there was a serious undercurrent of discontent amongst North Sydney officials (led by Alexander Knox) - they convinced Balmain officials to forfeit. Their objective was overthrow the NSWRL admin or even form a new League. Balmain held fund-raising meetings after the Final to get enough money to launch legal action. They weren't called "Balmainiacs" for nothing!

There is more in my book (The Rugby Rebellion) & the link I provided. [I didn't come on here to plug the book - I've sold out of copies & as far as I know there are very few left in bookshops anyway]

OVP

Coach
Willow said:
RL1908 covered it well in post #54.

Welcome aboard RL1908. :thumn

What are your views on the political machinations of the time? I understand there was some dispute between Balmian and the NSWRL. A power struggle amongst delegates?

Id be interested in his opinion of when Souths legally stole 100% of Easts' juniors ... courtesy of a dickhead called Ron Jones, but still, to this day rely on those so-called juniors to gain admittance into the first grade squad. How then is it so, that Souths STILL DO NOTHING for their juniors, but at least Easts, Saints and even the Sharks have certain development programs .... but Souths STILL DO NOTHING despite that massive area they fraudulently acquired. When is that going to change ?

yobbo84

Coach
OVP said:
Id be interested in his opinion of when Souths legally stole 100% of Easts' juniors ... courtesy of a dickhead called Ron Jones, but still, to this day rely on those so-called juniors to gain admittance into the first grade squad. How then is it so, that Souths STILL DO NOTHING for their juniors, but at least Easts, Saints and even the Sharks have certain development programs .... but Souths STILL DO NOTHING despite that massive area they fraudulently acquired. When is that going to change ?

If Souths do nothing for their juniors, then why is their a squad of the best 25 or so S.G. Ball/Flegg players training with the first grade squad? Why has Jason Taylor been running then through a few drills? Why has a whole program been designed for them by Mark Hughes and Erroll Alcott?

Oh and if Souths "stole" the Roosters juniors during their height of power, why didn't Sydney try and get "their" juniors back during their reign? Must be because they don't want them, huh?

I strongly suggest you do a bit of research on the goings on at South Sydney, then you might actually find out what really goes on.

OVP said:

Souths STILL DO NOTHING, wtf are you on? :crazy: Souths promote junior rugby league more than your mob has ever done. FFS

Ziggy the God

First Grade
OVP said:

:BDH:

How many times do you have to bring up this garbage?

Your morally bankrupt club only has 4 teams, yet we allow them to play in the South Sydney Juniors competition, because in the end, the kids should not have to miss out because the Roosters have lost all of their potential youngsters to the AFL.

Please take the Swans sticker off your car, it is embarrassing.

OVP said:

This was posted by Phantom Rabbotoh from Rabbitude.Hope this clears it all up for you.

The boundaries were redrawn because of the neglect of the roosters in regards to the junior league and they also didn't fight the redrawn boundaries either. Stories that have come from former juniors of that period such as having to borrow some kids football to actually have a game with highlights the importance that the rosters placed upon their junior development and junior players.

Souths were given the task of running the junior teams that were neglected and were in great danger of being taken over by other codes, such as rugby union, and one club in particular was extremely strong, and today still is, and that was Randwick rugby. The fact that Souths did a fine job, and looked after the juniors, and was also the most logical choice to do so, had nothing to do with power struggles and the such.

Had the roosters done the right thing in the first place and looked after their junior base, as they should have, instead of building and putting their resources into the LC, they would have kept their junior base and junior comp and not have the problems they have today.

adamkungl

Immortal
The idiocy of some in this thread is unbelievable. Its all very simple if any of you tards put about 6 seconds of thought into it. Roosters are celebrating their 100th SEASON, not being 100 years old. Souths claim to be in their 100th season, which is true if you include lower grades or invitational matches or whatever other crap they can come up with, but its not the same thing. Talking about what actually counts, Roosters are the only club who can celebrate 100 seasons this year. The name change argument is incompetent at best, completely ful of sh*t at worst. I choose to lean towards worst. If the name can't change slightly, can you change the jersey or logo either? What's that black jersey Souths have been wearing lately, does that interrupt their history? I think not bullsh*t artists. By the same logic, according to Le Kook and some of the Rabbits fans in here, the NRL has no right to celebrate its centenary next year, as they've changed their name a couple of times. Pull your head in morons.

yobbo84

Coach
adamkungl said:
The idiocy of some in this thread is unbelievable. Its all very simple if any of you tards put about 6 seconds of thought into it. Roosters are celebrating their 100th SEASON, not being 100 years old. Souths claim to be in their 100th season, which is true if you include lower grades or invitational matches or whatever other crap they can come up with, but its not the same thing. Talking about what actually counts, Roosters are the only club who can celebrate 100 seasons this year. The name change argument is incompetent at best, completely ful of sh*t at worst. I choose to lean towards worst. If the name can't change slightly, can you change the jersey or logo either? What's that black jersey Souths have been wearing lately, does that interrupt their history? I think not bullsh*t artists. By the same logic, according to Le Kook and some of the Rabbits fans in here, the NRL has no right to celebrate its centenary next year, as they've changed their name a couple of times. Pull your head in morons.

The NRL aren't celebrating their centenary. They are celebrating the centenary of Rugby League in Australia.

Oh and yes it's true, ESDRLFC are the only football club to have entered a team in the top competition for the last 100 years. I'm sure you and the other 10 Sydney supporters will get great satisfaction out of that. No one else really cares.

greg

Juniors
Happy 99th bunnies. Ignore the stirrers and doomsayers. Any fellow 1908ers and anyone who sticks it up Rupert and Co. are OK by me.

adamkungl

Immortal
yobbo84 said:
Oh and yes it's true, ESDRLFC are the only football club to have entered a team in the top competition for the last 100 years. I'm sure you and the other 10 Sydney supporters will get great satisfaction out of that. No one else really cares.

Well we're the ones celebrating it, why should anyone else care? Just it seemed like some of you lot did when you were arguing all through this thread...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Who cares about the Roosters ffs. It's a Souths thread, and Souths have alot better history 100 years or not!

Deal with it!

miccle

Bench
And like many 99-year olds, Souths have experienced it all thus far - flourishing beauty and success right through to seemingly terminal health problems and a few years there where they looked as good as dead.

But they are still surviving and they really appear to be building to again be a success and the pride of the league on the field.

Happy 99th Souths, and let's toast to another 99. :D

The way I see it, if a man/woman was born in 1908, and spent 2 years in a coma in the 90's, but re-emerged and is still living today, they are still 99 years of age.

Similarly, Souths ARE 99. or in other words it is the 99th anniversary of their formation as a club. Any disputing this is trivial, meaningless jibbering.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
adamkungl said:

New name, new club.;-)