What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

half_back

Juniors
Not a good day for Penrith all round they went down in the 20s to Manly think it ended up 26-20.

Last edited:

Fibroman

First Grade
Richo is a drunken bum with major head noises, Killkenny on the other hand is a bona fide lunatic with a passion for rugy league football.....and prostitutes. ps. shhhhhh, ive had 18 schooners of pure blone.

murraymob

Coach
makes sence they had him sitting on the side line .Would be doining nothing for his `development.There are several quality kids there now

MrPanther

Juniors
An improved showing by S G Ball but too many simple mistakes. They seem to be playing without much direction. A couple of players showed why they should have been in the team all along(Puna and Josh).TIMES RUNNING OUT FOR THIS TEAM AND THE SELECTIONS ARE STILL NOT RIGHT.
A couple of questions for the stats man
(1) How many times was Blake Austin in position to take a pass and the ballcarrier went to ground?
(2)How many times was Blake Austin in position to take a pass and the ball went the other side?
A question for the coach
Have the halves and the dummy half been instructed not to pass the ball to Blake Austin?

murraymob

Coach
maybe mr panther the anwser is in the posts of the other guys where they say the halfs are not geniune halfs but players playing out of position.I must admiyt right from the start it was suprising vapuna tia kiliffi was getting limited game time he was clearly best player last year in matts

Fibroman

First Grade
If the players were allowed to turn up to training when they wanted. If the games kicked off when the players decided to get their, and if the players could wear Hawaian shirts and thongs on the field and play in any position they wanted to, I all but guarantee that we would perform better.

sweet-as

Juniors
The harold matts game was a very sad sight, Penrith started exactly how they finished last week, pathetic. Smallest starting forward pack seen for a while.
were both Tuivasa and Doran injured?, I don't understand how they were meant to have any go-forward offence withh BOTH of their heavyweight forwards sitting on the bench.
Doran come on and played well, however I'm assuming he must have been carrying an injury as he wasn't on for long? Anyone?
Not enough forward movement, putting too much pressure on players like Wilson, Robinson, and heterick, forcing them to make mistakes.
Their is not a proper halfback in the team, while Nathan Antonelli outplayed penriths halves greatly. I'm wondering why he wasn't selected for Matts?
As for the coaching staff, I was paying close attention to there interchanges, they pick the wrong players to pull off at the wrong times.

I really can't see Penrith matts turning their season around, my guess is they'll finish a solid 10th place :(

ranga

Juniors
The harold matts game was a very sad sight, Penrith started exactly how they finished last week, pathetic. Smallest starting forward pack seen for a while.
were both Tuivasa and Doran injured?, I don't understand how they were meant to have any go-forward offence withh BOTH of their heavyweight forwards sitting on the bench.
Doran come on and played well, however I'm assuming he must have been carrying an injury as he wasn't on for long? Anyone?
Not enough forward movement, putting too much pressure on players like Wilson, Robinson, and heterick, forcing them to make mistakes.
Their is not a proper halfback in the team, while Nathan Antonelli outplayed penriths halves greatly. I'm wondering why he wasn't selected for Matts?
As for the coaching staff, I was paying close attention to there interchanges, they pick the wrong players to pull off at the wrong times.

I really can't see Penrith matts turning their season around, my guess is they'll finish a solid 10th place :(

ranga

Juniors
I still believe these KIDS are the most over rated bunch I have seen ,players in front of tap kicks ,missing kicks for touch from penalties ,push passes ,missed tackles they are ordinary ,they can blame positional changes as much as they want,but at the end of the day its a simple game control the ball ,tackle and have a go and you will win more games than you lose,once again the parents need to stop telling these boys there superstars cause obviously they arent

half_back

Juniors
I still believe these KIDS are the most over rated bunch I have seen ,players in front of tap kicks ,missing kicks for touch from penalties ,push passes ,missed tackles they are ordinary ,they can blame positional changes as much as they want,but at the end of the day its a simple game control the ball ,tackle and have a go and you will win more games than you lose,once again the parents need to stop telling these boys there superstars cause obviously they arent

Pretty harsh assessment. They have no conifdence in what they are going out there to do because of a number of factors. No doubt the losses on the weekend were bad ones in terms of opposition and way they played. Doubt the coaches are the right men to instil the confidence in them. I also disagree with your comments about pushed passes and missed tackles. Positional changes can greatly effect these as can game plans they arent comfortbale with. Defending in the middle as opposed to the edge, playing up and out, umbrella etc can mean the way a player needs to read attacks vary greatly hence bad reads and missed tackles. The coaching staff needs to coach this. Knowing their gameplan (which is to be expansive and play whats in front of them) offloads may be encouraged and expected perhaps resulting in more drop ball and bad passes. Overall my assessment of the junior reps this year (having seen 9 of the teams play so far)is that both grades are below the regular standard. Although this is the case I will rarely find fault in 15 year olds at the start of their developmental process. Superstars they are not, no one in Matts or ball is, they just deserve support, effective coaching and time.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
the reality if you get more than 4 players out of any of these squads to go on and make first grade it a good season.I am sure there are a few good prospects there just not a team of them as we have become used to

micro

Juniors
it is never over until the fat lady sings, both mats and ball have some real talent and both teams really have not performed, why? There would probably be many reasons and plenty of people to blame if your were looking to blame somebody. Ranga seems to have an axe to grind, probably emotionally damaged from previous years. The players need support and direction from everyone, clubs , parents, coaches, trainers etc.

the selector

Juniors
Well here we go whats wrong with the matts well i can tell you all too many kids from the same club and who pick them used to work for them jj and now he at penrith and all the people who run the place are from st marys and they did not win the comp...what a joke sack george, and ron hopeless kids dont like them .jj sit up in the stand and looks down on the mess he has made and think s its ok well to put a kids on for 0ne sec take him off what a joke not a st marys kids good .only one more thing to do SACK JIMMY...:lol::lol::lol:

Bashem

Juniors
First of all , i think that the reason for penriths pathetic efforts in the hm is because of the woful coaching staff that jim jones has selected something realy needs to be done about this , i was out at the games on the weekend just having a browse i realy think penrith were terrible.
Also i thought the roosters played really well from start to finish with minimal mistakes.
Nathan Antonelli really shined and surely would have left jim jones scratching his head thinking why he wasnt picked in the penrith side as they do not have a reasonable half back
hopefuly penrith will bounce back and cut out the loses .

Last edited:

half_back

Juniors
Well here we go whats wrong with the matts well i can tell you all too many kids from the same club and who pick them used to work for them jj and now he at penrith and all the people who run the place are from st marys and they did not win the comp...what a joke sack george, and ron hopeless kids dont like them .jj sit up in the stand and looks down on the mess he has made and think s its ok well to put a kids on for 0ne sec take him off what a joke not a st marys kids good .only one more thing to do SACK JIMMY...:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry selector but needed to tone down the font there. I think most are aware of Jim Jones links with St Marys but dont think he can be blamed for the mess with Matts. Firstly George Zhara was Academy coach last year, appointed by Mulholland. Academy is rightfully seen as not only development for players but coaches alike so Jim is just following the pathway most coaches take as with Brad Liggins leaving Penrith Matts going to Academy Ball before presumably coming back to Penrith Ball. The nature of the team is another thing there are more than a few Glenmore players in the team and the team is not picked by Jim Jones but rather Junior League Reps.

murraymob

Coach
it should also be pointed out jim jones has been at the club off and on for over 20 years so 1 bad year can not just be blamed on him.Most people on here seem concerned about side selection and players playing out of position.The reality is you never really know how good some players are till they reach these levels .Some of these kids will struggle to make ball next year.Some will only be selected for matts on the back of the fact they where here this year

lizziebra

Juniors
I want to see the people behind the usernames personally - heaps of heated discussion in here of late. :sarcasm:

the selector

Juniors
Sorry selector but needed to tone down the font there. I think most are aware of Jim Jones links with St Marys but dont think he can be blamed for the mess with Matts. Firstly George Zhara was Academy coach last year, appointed by Mulholland. Academy is rightfully seen as not only development for players but coaches alike so Jim is just following the pathway most coaches take as with Brad Liggins leaving Penrith Matts going to Academy Ball before presumably coming back to Penrith Ball. The nature of the team is another thing there are more than a few Glenmore players in the team and the team is not picked by Jim Jones but rather Junior League Reps.
let get it right 1. George was a trainer at st marys 2. Academy was run bye jmmy last two years he would of had a big say who coach and what player are picked.3.rep selector are pick bye jimmy bar two who are mates of he so there pick the player and jimmy say yes or no look aT NATHAN A who do you think did not pick him great game on the weekend and did he not win the comp mmm 4. let look at how many st clair and st doms kids are in matts not many but could do a better job