What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harolds cup and sg ball ...trials

rambo1

Juniors
Cronulla Sharks junior rep trials

Saturday, 27th January 2007 - vs Canberra (in Canberra)
Matthews Cup Kick Off - 3pm
SG Ball Kick Off - 5pm
*Sunday, 4th Febuary 2007 - vs West's (Toyota Park)
Times TBC
*Sunday, 11th February 2007 - vs Canterbury (Belmore)
Times TBC

Also Parramatta vs Knights at Cabramatta on Saturday 26 January
under 15 development squad starts at 1pm. Matts and Ball follow that game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
just quickly on yesterday..

both us and Newcastle fielded 6 teams in 3 grades, each playing 20/25 minute quaters, the teams were mixed up quite a bit and all of them have to be applauded with the way they played the game all highly competative, physical and with plenty of spirit.

The results didn't really matter too much and they didn't really bother with goal kicks but for what it was worth our Under 15's development squad edged Newcastle out, Newcastle edged us out in the Harold Mathews while we may have been a try or 2 ahead with 20 minutes to go with the SG Ball before i left.

some of the stand out players from yesterday were as follows.

Nathan Gardner, SG Ball Fullback.
Albert Kelly, Mathews five-eight
Cam Speechly, SG Ball Halfback
Johnny Mannah, SG Ball Prop.
Rilon Nutron, SG Ball second rower.
Cec Mackenzie, Ball centre.

There were a few others, who's names I couldn't remember but there were also players like Kene De Wheta [which Colonel is a big fan off] could be anything in the game if he puts his mind to it.

plenty of talent on show for both sides.

we also ran into the likes of Bendon Oake and Weller Hauraki who were interested specatators, Weller for one is very keen for the season to start and is hellbent in playing first grade.

I posted the above on our forum just thought I'd share it with you guys.

brook

First Grade
Did anyone make it to the Balmain v Panthers trial yesterday?

I know we won in Matts and lost in Ball but I'd be interested to know if penrith played close to a top squad or not?

rambo1

Juniors
I was very impressed with Albert Kelly in Matts. I heard he was an attacking machine but his defence was sensational with a couple of big hits. Parra now have both halves from the Australian under 15 team last year. Daniel Mahoney is the half back.

I assume Kelly is now on scholarship with the Eels. I wonder what school he is going to in Parra?

Also thought jason wehbe was oustanding in the 15's development as half /five eight

Stagger eel

Staff member
rambo1 said:
I was very impressed with Albert Kelly in Matts. I heard he was an attacking machine but his defence was sensational with a couple of big hits. Parra now have both halves from the Australian under 15 team last year. Daniel Mahoney is the half back.

I assume Kelly is now on scholarship with the Eels. I wonder what school he is going to in Parra?

Also thought jason wehbe was oustanding in the 15's development as half /five eight

yeah..it was a bit of shame that they split those 2 up and played them in different teams as I would of loved to have watched them together.

I believe Albert is on a 4 year deal with us.

murraymob

Coach
Penrith v newcastle junior trials S. G. Ball Penrith 20 knights 0 Harold Mathews 24 all draw U17 Penrith 48 Newcastle 16 U15 Penrith 60 Newcasle 16 Academy Penrith 12 newcastle 8

rambo1

Juniors
Heard Penrith will not be playing Norths in HM's on Saturday, opting instead to play Illawarra. Norths will now play Penrith's under 15 Development Squad.

richies

Juniors
dogs and sharks this sunday at belmore 4pm+
see ya there
if ya dare
ill be in my dog jersey
cum say hello

rambo1

Juniors
Saw the Panthers 15's, 17's, 19's Development Squads play against North Sydney Harrold Matthews, SG Ball, and Jersey Flegg teams yesterday. We won both games. Matts was 24-18 and Ball 6 tries to 2. U19 Development Squad beat North Sydney Jersey Flegg 14-10.

15's v Matts was a good game with both teams putting on big defence and there were a few fights. I wouldn't underestimate Norths this year.

Does anyone else have trial results.

richies

Juniors
harolds won easily
and
sg got done easily
the dogs im on about
played the sharks

our forward pack in harolds is strong and offloads are good
and 1 BIG islander kid
esp 4props
possibly no.3 dark tall bloke
wingers probably our weakest point
and possibly lost bench our hooker injured looked serious
they scored 3 great tries

-----------------------------------------
sg ball
wingers our weakest point i believe
good 2 halfs and brad murray at 5/8
i think it wa neen simo playing 5/8 first off, if not he was at fullback

forgot his name but lock he has filled out could play prop in future
is very good
and no not n.dib other bloke dark bloke
thats all i got for now
they didnt have a list of players so was guessing who was who
its being a while
sharks defence wa almost spot on
alot of penalities from the dogs as usaul.grrrrr

rambo1

Juniors
Here are Western Academy's Matts and Balls teams

rugby-athletes.gif
HAROLD MATTHEWS SG BALLJermaine Ballangarry Jamie Buhrer Michael Broomfield Matthew Fuimaono Gavin Dwight Ben James William Drury Rhys Lenarduzzi Kyle Fraser Junior Mateaki Chantee Hunt Basil Palaamo Jerome MacKenzie Alex Peters Hayden Matthews Rhys Watt Matthew Pentani Peter Wiggins Chris Quinn Simon Gairns Blake Riglesford Joe Hoaroa Olotele Salanoa Shane Croft Tato Sausobo Zeb Filise Adam Simeon Joel McCrea Corey Sommerville Jeff Ryan Jeremiah Tiatia Ross Walsh Artine Tatian Daniel Lafu Simon Taefu Leslie Khan Tom Vella George Palu Jai Webb Leroy Williams Program Manager: Jim Jones Program Manager: Jim Jones Coach: Steve SpeechlyCoach: Wayne McCann Assistant Coach: Brad JenningsAssistant Coach: Gary Reekie Trainers: Ben Rogers, Wayne Lewis & Dee Banton Trainers: Steve Millard, Ric Brennan, Matthew Dux Manager: Theo KubicaManager: Steve Aglio Gear Manager: Graeme CatlinS & C Coach: Paul Slayter

girvie

Staff member
Norths beat Western district in SG Ball while Western District won Harold Matthews.

Stagger eel

Staff member
girvie said:
Norths beat Western district in SG Ball while Western District won Harold Matthews.

I believe young Mitchell Newman quit the Bears to concentrate on studies, Mitchell's father is a contributer to the forum.

rambo1

Juniors
Manly v Balmain 17 February

Harold Matthews Balmain def Manly 44 - 6
SG Ball Manly def Balmain 34 - 22

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?tx=39&newsid=1386

After a gruelling off season of training and trials the Delmege Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Harold Matthews and SG Ball sides are ready to commence their competition against the Cronulla Sharks at Brookvale Oval full of confidence.
Last Saturday the boys played their final trial against the Balmain Tigers at Leichhardt Oval.
The Harold Matthews team met a very talented Tigers outfit. Although there were several players missing from the Sea Eagles, Balmain were too good on the day winning the match 44 points to 6. The Tigers are clearly the team to beat in the Harold Matthews competition this year.
Despite defeat our boys showed glimpses of what they can do and will benefit greatly from that game despite the loss.
Players who impressed were William Hopoate and Corey Hewittson. Despite being only 15 years of age this year these two boys are definitely worth keeping an eye on for the future.
The Sea Eagles SG Ball team will approach their match with the Sharks on a high. This side is coming along nicely but acknowledge that the Sharks will also be confident for this game.
The Sea Eagles were too strong for Balmain last Saturday winning the game 34 points to 22. Coach Tony Clarke has emphasized to his players that trials mean nothing once the competition begins and now the hard work begins.
Strong performances from the halves combo Jai Jones – Wiegold and Brad Bennett , prop and captain Ilija Radan , hooker Cam Warwick and second row forward Darcy Lussick. Lock Forward Beau McMillan was great in attack scoring three tries in a top all round display.

Latest posts