What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harvester the ideas of others - Pointless Playoffs

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two moronic idea's have been posted already recently about playoff games which are utterly f**king stupid.

But what if we combined with the even more absurd Super 8's concept in Superleague and have playoffs everywhere.

So the structure would be like this
Usual 26 Rounds
Then have a super 16's where each team plays each other side a further two more times, home and away.
After Super 16's is done, we start from the bottom and have playoffs to determine each position.

So, first play offs are for 16th place. Teams 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th play in a finals system where they play each other twice, home and away, the bottom placed team for those games is crowed 16th place.

Then we move on to the play off for 15th, where teams 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th compete using the same structure as above.

We keep going all they way until we determine the fifth placed side.

Then we have a finals play off with the top 4 sides.

Each side play each other three times, home, away and at a neutral venue.

Then once those games are over we will have our genuine top 4.

Then we play finals footy.

Week 1
A - 1 v 4
B - 2 v 3
Week 2
C - Loser A v Loser B
D - Winner A v Winner B
Week 3
E - Winner C v Loser D
Week 4
Grand FInal
Winner D v Winner E

Loser C v Loser E to determine 3rd and 4th placed sides.

THEN....

We work back down through the system to determine all the positions up to 5th, this way we can determine for certain that each side is properly placed on the ladder.

Discuss.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pffft.

Every club should play at least 60 games. 40 of them should be utterly pointless.

We need to do as the British do and devalue the f**k out of the product.

unforgiven

Bench
Two moronic idea's have been posted already recently about playoff games which are utterly f**king stupid.

But what if we combined with the even more absurd Super 8's concept in Superleague and have playoffs everywhere.

Usual 26 Rounds
Then have a super 16's where each team plays each other side a further two more times, home and away.
After Super 16's is done, we start from the bottom and have playoffs to determine each position.

So, first play offs are for 16th place. Teams 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th play in a finals system where they play each other twice, home and away, the bottom placed team for those games is crowed 16th place.

Then we move on to the play off for 15th, where teams 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th compete using the same structure as above.

Week 1
A - 1 v 4
B - 2 v 3
Week 2
C - Loser A v Loser B
D - Winner A v Winner B
Week 3
E - Winner C v Loser D
Week 4
Grand FInal
Winner D v Winner E

THEN....

We work back down through the system to determine all the positions up to 5th, this way we can determine for certain that each side is properly placed on the ladder.

Discuss.

Sounds like Baseketball

POPEYE

Coach
I want 16 rounds of proper footy, 1 only Origin game in the interval, 16 more rounds of proper footy and the best 2 play a Grand Final . . . f**k anything else

T-Boon

Coach
The only thing we should copy from SL is the free play rule.

So I just looked up this SL rule and as I suspected I love it.

How freaking slow is the NRL at bringing great stuff like this in. "oh my god, its going to destroy the fabric of the game!!!!"

So I just looked up this SL rule and as I suspected I love it.

How freaking slow is the NRL at bringing great stuff like this in. "oh my god, its going to destroy the fabric of the game!!!!"
Apart from anything else, it removes the controversy over ruling on advantage. But that's not even the best part.

wittyfan

Referee

Usual 26 Rounds

Week 1
A - 1 v 4
B - 2 v 3
Week 2
C - Loser A v Loser B
D - Winner A v Winner B
Week 3
E - Winner C v Loser D
Week 4
Grand FInal
Winner D v Winner E

THEN....

Discuss.

I think you're onto something!

Also I thought that nothing could ever beat the McIntyre system but the Super 8 system is sublime!