What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the footy become boring?

Has Rugby League (NRL) become boring?

• Yes

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Maybe a little

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

Cliffhanger

Coach
I feel like on the whole, skill levels have decreased in the last few years.

The current crop of halfbacks are the worst in memory, I don't know what's going on in junior development for them.

It seems like U20s and lack of a proper reserve grade comp (main 2 reasons) have been detrimental to the quality of the comp as a whole.

Not sure I agree about the under 20s comp being weak but I agree with the other points.

docbrown

Coach
1. Punish unassisted dead ball kicks
2. Turn chargedowns/kicker pressure into a proper defensive contest
3. Encourage the mid-air contest except for dangerous positions
4. Expand 40 metre kick advantage to weaken defence in the attack's half to encourage more expansive play in own half
5. Make 1 on 1 covering tackles dominant
6. The immediate set of six All Star penalty rules to keep play flowing

Mr Fourex

Bench
6-4 on my tv you spoiling f*ckwit!!!!!!!!!!

It's one reason why I don't use the pc while I'm watching the game. Sincere apologies

but cause it's you

I laughed ....a little.

No. Footy has been tough, and still some classy attacking players have shone. 32-all aint necessarily great football.

I think 10 was more boring with Melbourne taken out of the equasion. This year I think has also thrown up some surprises, and I reckon it will be a very special season as it continues to unfold.

FMD.....I totally agree.

Should see some of the Broncos tries tonig....opppss

shit, sorry.

Enjoy the game. :p

Rod

Bench
They need to quicken up the play the ball. All this wrestling shit is ensuring that teams are attacking a well set defensive line the majority of the game. If they speed the ruck up it will open up the game.

This. Our forwards weren't exactly setting the world on fire tonight but the Dragons were lying all over the place for an eternity, every ruck seemd to go on forever.

seanoff

Juniors
get rid of the wrestling

if i wanted to watch Greco-Roman wrestling i probably could.

it's getting to the point Roy and HG could put each tackle to Barry White

Jason Maher

Immortal
We looked pretty good in the first half (bombed 4 tries - could have been 30-odd up at the break), but for some reason put the cue firmly in the rack in the second.

natheel

Coach
I know my team isn't performing much exciting footy either but gee it's been a bit boring these opening rounds

natheel

Coach
We looked pretty good in the first half (bombed 4 tries - could have been 30-odd up at the break), but for some reason put the cue firmly in the rack in the second.

Didn't really have to put a final blow on newcastle mate, they're pretty ordinary they only beat us by 8 points where panthers flogged us

Lately just put 2 tries on ahead of them and you pretty much sealed the victory

blaza88z

Coach
I know my team isn't performing much exciting footy either but gee it's been a bit boring these opening rounds

that's what i've thought, teams who use to be good for an entertaining style of footy haven't been performing, I hope that changes around and we see some good games, as much as I love a tough game these grinding games do get boring after a while

natheel

Coach
It's early days I mean some teams have put together some entertaining patches

Cowboys v eels - good attacking footy for cows fans
Panthers v eels - as above
Eels v manly - we didn't play amazingly but both teams put on some entertaining play in that game
Raiders v tigers
Souths v roosters
Roosters v warriors

jonno_knights

Juniors
It comes down to one thing.

Wrestling, slowing the PTB down.

This, together with the players being faster + stronger, means line speed is usually epic and maintained throughout the 80minutes.

Faster line speed puts more pressure on the attack as the defence is up in their face, and rarely do they get a back-peddling defensive line to attack. Its this line speed which has resulted in many, many soft errors creeping in the game.

A 15m rule might sound ridiculous now, but if they dont want to do anything about the wrestling that has taken over the game, it may be an alright solution to speed the game up a bit.

TheRam

Coach
This is the most boring season of footy that I can remember. I literally fell asleep while watch the first game tonight.

They have to re-examine the play the ball ruck area. It is killing the game at the moment.

If it continues like this for much longer, I don't think that I will watch as many games this year as I would normally do.

anjado

Juniors
I think this season has been alright certainly no worse than any of the previous 5 seasons.

There are two main problems with the game the first is a lack of constantly brilliant halves which there were in the game say 10-20 years ago.

The second is that we haven't had any real tactical advancement in how the game is played for a while now. Everyone is trying to play exactly the same style of football with the exception of possibly the Tigers.

Compare it to say 2003

Penrith - A team which played brilliant attacking football who tried to outscore the opposition.

Roosters - Team with punishing and brutal defence playing a really in your face style of football. With the Brilliance of Fittler,Wing and Minichello thrown in.

Bulldogs - Used really big forwards as well as exciting backs complimented with a brilliant attacking short kicking game.

Warriors - Harlem Globetrotters style football with plenty of offloads and unpredictability. Unstoppable when they got it right.

Raiders - Big Forwards who roll over the advantage line and quick blokes making scoots from dummy half in Drew,Woolford,McLinden.

Storm - Just starting there structure style of play under Bellamy.

Knights - Attacking team but really reliant on Andrew Johns when he is fit they are great.

Broncos - In limbo due to retirements and defections still have a monster pack but struggle to score points. Still haven't moved Lockyer to five eighth.

That is the top 8 for the 2003 season all played different styles of football really and you were getting a clash of styles as well as quality football and players.

These days there are 2 schools of playing the game.

really structured or the Melbourne style of playing which many teams fail dismally at see Parramatta.

The dour way of playing like Wayne Bennett teams where you go 5 tackles kick because god knows your completion rate is more important than the actual score of the game and your only attacking play is to wither give a short ball to the 2nd rower or the ball out the back to the fullback those are the attacking plays.

Apart from the Tigers and Warriors really no one does anything out of the norm. Someone soon has to come up with a new way of playing which works i think this is the longest the game has gone without any sort of new way of playing and i hope soon that someone comes along and brings in a new and effective style.

Saying that this season has been similar to the last 5 but it isn't the worst 2008 was the worst it was a two horse race the entire season.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Dragons have always been boring. It hasn't chnaged, just that a few other teams have tried to copy. Some teams have gotten better we just haven't seen them play yet.