What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the footy become boring?

Has Rugby League (NRL) become boring?

• Yes

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Maybe a little

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Someone soon has to come up with a new way of playing which works i think this is the longest the game has gone without any sort of new way of playing and i hope soon that someone comes along and brings in a new and effective style.

Eels 09 did this but they didn't stick with it. Playing what was in front of them, reducing the number of set plays and pushing up in attack to get offloads and quick play the balls.

Also, rule changes usually change things but none in recent times have provided this.

anjado

Juniors
Eels 09 did this but they didn't stick with it. Playing what was in front of them, reducing the number of set plays and pushing up in attack to get offloads and quick play the balls.

Also, rule changes usually change things but none in recent times have provided this.

I agree about the Eels of 09, but it only really lasted about 12 games over two seasons and the coach got sacked and hasn't been employed since for some reason. Plus this will have been 3 seasons since then and even that is pretty late for a new wave of approaching the game.

Mr Blonde

Juniors
It's early days I mean some teams have put together some entertaining patches

Cowboys v eels - good attacking footy for cows fans
Panthers v eels - as above
Eels v manly - we didn't play amazingly but both teams put on some entertaining play in that game
Raiders v tigers
Souths v roosters
Roosters v warriors

Really..?
The fact that you have Eels in 3 of those games & Roosters in 2 proves the OP's point.

If I was a first time league viewer & watched an Eels v Roosters game, I would LOL @ the league & never look back. The two most boring & inept teams to play this season. Roosters have had amazing luck to be where they are right now, they're playing no better than the bottom of the ladder sides.

Chook Norris

First Grade

The dour way of playing like Wayne Bennett teams where you go 5 tackles kick because god knows your completion rate is more important than the actual score of the game and your only attacking play is to wither give a short bal
l to the 2nd rower or the ball out the back to the fullback those are the attacking plays.

and this is precisely what epitomises the current style of play across the nrl. it's killing the fun in watching footy

Have forwards ever been so one-dimensional?

jbl31649

Juniors
can't ever recall being bored at a game that I attended.

Have been bored shitless on a regular basis by the tired bunch of spankers employed by Nein as commentators

Agree that gus does not help when arguing with Rabs. However I do not enjoy a game when both teams are laying on points and final score is something lie 32-36.

I have enjoyed games (80s) when end result is 2-0 from a penalty. Means both teams defence was rock solid. I guess its a matter of choice and opinion.

I like low scoring matches, but others love to see try, try try.

Anyway I think games the best it ever bean, considering SL and all that rubbish.

Love my Rugby League......

TheRam

Coach
Love my league too mate, but at the moment it is the most boring that I have ever seen it.

It is a snooze fest almost right across the board. Players are playing like robots and the play the ball is way to slow exasperating the boring safe style of play that has been copied by all and sundry.

Ladmate

Bench
Yes. Especially my team. Hitup, hitup, hitup, failed spread the ball then a shit kick. Get behind a lot then decide to turn up when the game is out of reach.

woodyk2

First Grade
Most boring season ever so far,the footy is ok its just watching the same teams run around every week on 9 that makes it boring.

natheel

Coach
Really..?
The fact that you have Eels in 3 of those games & Roosters in 2 proves the OP's point.

If I was a first time league viewer & watched an Eels v Roosters game, I would LOL @ the league & never look back. The two most boring & inept teams to play this season. Roosters have had amazing luck to be where they are right now, they're playing no better than the bottom of the ladder sides.

if you read back on my post before the one you quoted you would see i agreed with the OP to begin with all i'm saying is there has been PATCHES in some games that has been some what entertaining to watch. Granted i havn't watched many games due to the fact that 1. Broncos and Dragons are the main tv teams this year and 2 the footy quality atm is boring.

To be honest the problem is there are teams in the comp who like to 'grind' games out and there are teams who have entertaining players in their team who arnt clicking at this point in time which is proving to be f**king boring to watch and frustrating

Storm are a boring side apart from Slater.
Knights are trying to be a grinding team but just seem to fail
Dragons are the same old boring side
Tigers just not clicking
Eels have plenty of flair in their side but arn't clicking

Raiderdave

First Grade
Both games tonight had tries that the video referee seemed desperate to find a reason not to give. It's becoming ridiculously hard to score a try, which is why scoring is down.

exactly ... both tries .. which were tries in my opinion
make the score 18-10 there ( 5 tries all up )
& the other game had 7 tries scored

what are we even talking about here... a nothing thread ...
its not about boring its about wether your team can win or not

we have a comp where probably fans of 14 of the 16 teams expect their side to win most games

unlike a certain competitor of ours whos players where singlets
where theres many teams who simply will not win
because they cannot win

I know who's comp I'd prefer ;-)

2010Dragons

Bench
The Tigers are suppose to be entertainers in football...where are they on the ladder?
The TITANS are suppose to be entertainers in football...where are they on the ladder?
The Bunnies where playing comical footy last year. .where diid they finish on the ladder in 2010?
The Warriors play jungle ball football .....where are they on the ladder?

The Storm, Broncos, Manly, Dragons will win games with the grind and make finals.
What do you want? Your team to win games or entertainment?
If you want to entertained go to the circus or catch a movie or watch the Tigers at the bottom of the ladder.

docbrown

Coach
It comes down to one thing.

Wrestling, slowing the PTB down.

This, together with the players being faster + stronger, means line speed is usually epic and maintained throughout the 80minutes.

Faster line speed puts more pressure on the attack as the defence is up in their face, and rarely do they get a back-peddling defensive line to attack. Its this line speed which has resulted in many, many soft errors creeping in the game.

A 15m rule might sound ridiculous now, but if they dont want to do anything about the wrestling that has taken over the game, it may be an alright solution to speed the game up a bit.

Well this is where I believe the 40 metre kick advantage comes into player.

By dropping two players back out of the defensive line on the fringes the attack is 13 on a defensive 11 in the attacking team's own half.

Rather than just trying to complete hit ups and being developed in gang tackles up the middle, attacking teams would be looking to create overlaps etc whilst still inside their own 50m.

You might never see a 40 metre kick in a game! - BUT - because the defense has to cover the potentiality their line is weakened. When you see linebreaks under this set up you see this man on man cover defence that's just amazing to watch.

You can keep that up tempo line speed AND have greater expansive play.