What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the footy become boring?

Has Rugby League (NRL) become boring?

• Yes

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Maybe a little

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

Mader45

Juniors
Asking people who go out of their way to an nrl forum if this year has been boring is like asking a heroin addict if its bad to take drugs. Ask a casual, non-biased observer. Theyre the ones that matter. Were here for the long haul practically no matter what.

gallagher

Juniors
The Tigers are suppose to be entertainers in football...where are they on the ladder?
The TITANS are suppose to be entertainers in football...where are they on the ladder?
The Bunnies where playing comical footy last year. .where diid they finish on the ladder in 2010?
The Warriors play jungle ball football .....where are they on the ladder?

The Storm, Broncos, Manly, Dragons will win games with the grind and make finals.
What do you want? Your team to win games or entertainment?
If you want to entertained go to the circus or catch a movie or watch the Tigers at the bottom of the ladder.
Your right. The last thing i want from watching sport is to be entertained.

2010Dragons

Bench
Your right. The last thing i want from watching sport is to be entertained.

I watch my Dragons play and WIN games, this is the main reason people play and watch sports.
If your team is playing razzle dazzle footy but not winning games then coaches get sacked, players lose contracts and supporters whinge.
Yes the Dragons entertain me but entertain more when they win without all the razzle dazzle.
The tigers will go back to simple footy and win more games without the razzele dazzle.

gallagher

Juniors
I watch my Dragons play and WIN games, this is the main reason people play and watch sports.
If your team is playing razzle dazzle footy but not winning games then coaches get sacked, players lose contracts and supporters whinge.
Yes the Dragons entertain me but entertain more when they win without all the razzle dazzle.
The tigers will go back to simple footy and win more games without the razzele dazzle.
But thats following your own team. Everyone wants their own team winning not matter how. But will you watch games not involving the dragons if its boring? Thst the OP question, has the comp as a whole got boring?

2010Dragons

Bench
But thats following your own team. Everyone wants their own team winning not matter how. But will you watch games not involving the dragons if its boring? Thst the OP question, has the comp as a whole got boring?

I will always watch the Storm or Broncos play. They play simple footy and get the results.
Once these team score enough points they will grind and force the razzle dazzle teams to make more mistakes....thats not boring is very clever footy.
Footy is like a game of chess, you play to win but defend and force the other player into mistakes. Until NRL change the interchange rule this they way you play clever footy.

gallagher

Juniors
I will always watch the Storm or Broncos play. They play simple footy and get the results.
Once these team score enough points they will grind and force the razzle dazzle teams to make more mistakes....thats not boring is very clever footy.
Footy is like a game of chess, you play to win but defend and force the other player into mistakes. Until NRL change the interchange rule this they way you play clever footy.

Well I'll agree with you when chess gets a $1b tv deal.

StormHi

Juniors
get rid of the wrestling

if i wanted to watch Greco-Roman wrestling i probably could.

it's getting to the point Roy and HG could put each tackle to Barry White

You are a dumbass.......

Loving the Season so far some real quality football and defence has been on display and we almost have a full season of highlights from Billy barba and Co and its still so early!!

I just wish there was less unfoced errors from alot of teams (storm included) at this level players shouldnt be getting the simple stuff wrong.

Anyone who thinks its been a boring season is a complete Merkin!!

StormHi

Juniors
Hell I gotta say the simple fact that the Sharkies are winning games and winning them with class has got me Excited already the ladder landscape is changing and that has got me excited.

(Did I mention IM EXCITED?)

gallagher

Juniors
You will agree with my view when the tigers win a few games in the next few weeks without the razzle dazle entertaining footy.
I agree with that part. I wouldnt give a toss if the tigersd won 2-0 every week. But if every game was like that then I would only be watching 1 game a week. I watch the tiger to see them win but I watch league in general to be entertained. And for the record I dont think Melb or Brissie are boring at all. Saints,roosters,gold coast,newcsatle, manly and penrith are though.

DC_fan

Coach
Well, sixty percent of votes so far believe the game is at least become a little boring.

For hardcore league fans, like most of us. its not going to turn us off the game. We will still watch our team play. But if you weren't a supporter of either the Drgaons or Knights you just may have turned the TV off last night. And I don't think that game would be the only one this season you would have felt that way about.

DC_fan

Coach
I agree with that part. I wouldnt give a toss if the tigersd won 2-0 every week. But if every game was like that then I would only be watching 1 game a week. I watch the tiger to see them win but I watch league in general to be entertained. And for the record I dont think Melb or Brissie are boring at all. Saints,roosters,gold coast,newcsatle, manly and penrith are though.

You make some very good points.

Most fans don't care how their team plays as long as they win.

But I watch other teams play because I want to be entertained. To be quite honest last nights game between the Dragons and Knights did not entertain me one little bit. Games like this one and a few others this season I have found quite boring. With these games I usually find myself picking up a book or magazine to look at. I will look up when I hear the commentators voice get excited or every 5 mins or so to check the score.

It will be interesting to see if this style of football effects TV ratings. We have new TV contracts up for grabs very soon and poor ratings are not going to help us get that billion dollars.

gallagher

Juniors
We'd de ratings death if games like last night were being dished up every week. I turned over to the Force game last night, saw it was a close game and stayed there. And I'm far from being a union fan.

gronkathon

First Grade
It would have been good to have the old Viewers Choice option on last nights games.

I normally don't mind the way the Dragons games go but last nights game just seemed like it would never end.

Snappy

Coach
I'd watch a shit game of league over the yawnion world cup final any day of the week

DC_fan

Coach
Thought it was funny reading the article on Sportal where Bennett says the game is too defensive now.

I thought he was basically the main culprit for making it that way when he decided to get us to play a defensive game in 2009 onwards!

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/bennett-blasts-dour-defences-171370

I used to love watching the Bennett coached Bronco teams of the early 90's. The way they played then is the way league should be played. The best attacking football I have seen.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Geez whenever this topic is brought up the supporters of teams that win using boring football always bring out the "would you rather watch your team win or be entertaining" argument. I’m sorry to say that this argument totally misses the point.

First of all, as already pointed out, the question of whether the game is boring is not a question about whether or not you enjoy watching your team win, it's whether or not you enjoy watching the sport in general. Personally, I now rarely watch a game that does not involve Parramatta in its entirety.

Second, and in my opinion more importantly, excitement and winning don't have to be mutually exclusive. The question of whether you want your team to win is not in doubt here. Of course you want your team to win, and of course professional sportsmen and the coaches coaching them want to win, and as we know they will do anything within the rules - and some things outside the rules - to achieve that goal. But why can’t they win and play exciting football? This is not an issue of what a coach or team will do to win, it’s an issue of what they need to do to win. Can playing in an attacking, exciting manner lead to glory, or does the construct of the game and the rules themselves force people to play conservatively?

This argument comes up in all sports around the world. It's one that nearly every sport faces and it's not one that is new to Rugby League. The limited tackle rule, the change to a 10m rule, the eradication of goal-line drop-outs for balls caught on the full in the in-goal, the introduction of surrender tackles - these are just some examples of the many rule changes that Rugby League has put in place in order to achieve the right balance between attack and defence. Some of these rules encourage attacking play, while some – the surrender tackle for example – ensure that defence plays its rightful part in the game.

Sports all around the world have shown that professionalism brings with it higher levels of conservatism because those who have their livelihoods – and millions of dollars - riding on the outcome are more afraid to risk losing in order to win. Therefore, it is more important than ever that the league ensures that it is providing the right level of reward for attacking play.

So the issue is not whether your team is boring, or whether another team is boring, or whether your team is winning or not, the issue is:

Do the rules - and how they are interpreted by referees - encourage the proper balance between attack and defence?

It is important to note that this does not mean that all rules need to be designed to encourage attack. Some of the best games – in any sports – are when great defensive teams come up against great attacking teams, and this particularly true of Rugby League where great scrambling defence can be the highlight of a game. It is important that in promoting entertainment the true essence of the sport itself is not lost, but it is vital that the rules in Rugby League allow great offences the opportunity to attack great defences and that we aren’t left with a sterile game of ruck it up and kick.

Parramatta, the Tigers and Warriors have shown that overtly attacking teams can be somewhat successful, but most coaches have chosen the higher percentage option of "grinding" football, so it’s difficult to ascertain how – or even if – rules should change to encourage a better balance. I personally believe that they need to be looked at. But to do that you need to look at all the rules at the same time and in conjunction with each other, as changing one may affect another or may force another necessary change. It is a big task and Australian sports in general, but rugby league in particular, have not been great at scientifically analysing themselves to predict how changes will impact the game. In America they are much better at it (though there is currently an argument in the NFL that attacking play is rewarded too much) as they disect everything down to the nth degree.

I would like to see the independent commission put in place a committee who are charged with analysing rules and interpretations and making recommendations for changes.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
I used to love watching the Bennett coached Bronco teams of the early 90's. The way they played then is the way league should be played. The best attacking football I have seen.
I was going to bring that up in my post too .. agree with you.

I think he is falling into the trap of trying to do something now with Newcastle that doesn't suit them ..

We had Weyman, Poore, Hunt, Smith, Costigan, Saffy, Creagh, Scott ... all big blokes who could dominate opposition forward packs. So as long as we got our completion rate high, we would normally win in the forwards and score enough points to win the match, even if that was only 16 points.

Newcastle's forward pack is, to be honest, second-rate to most in the league. They can't do the same thing we could do and be as successful at it.

But then he is in another trap, because his outside backs (with the exception of Uate) are all quite cumbersome and slow, so he probably doesn't feel he can play a very attacking game.

To be fair, was more exciting watching the Dragons of the early 2000s throwing the ball around and losing, than watching them try to complete at 85% but doing nothing in attack and losing (vs Cronulla last week).

Lambretta

First Grade
Storm are a boring side apart from Slater.

You must have decided not to watch any of their games this season because you're talking out of your arse. Last season they ground teams down, this season they're the most entertaining attacking team in the comp, except unlike other "attacking" teams they can back it up with their defence.