What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has there ever been a more important 3 minutes?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Jobdog said:
And in response to that, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who likes Monday night football

Do you mean the highest rating shows on Foxtel and great attendences like this week?

You must be talking about the NFL.

salivor

First Grade
By the way, you seem a bit confused, his job title is first grade coach not promoter.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well I wouldn't expect you to know much about whether or not ppl like MNF considering Souths haven't had too many

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Your opinion on MNF doesn't make it all-encompassing Jobber.

m0j0

Bench
salivor said:
By the way, you seem a bit confused, his job title is first grade coach not promoter.
Exactly! Just how much promotion does Jason Taylor do for rugby league?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
salivor said:
Been enjoying the Tri-Nations in recent years? That very same coach played a big part in getting that up and running.

Oh yeah, do you mean when he ran out the back door of the airport when he came home, rather than face the press? Wayne, Wayne, Wayne........

Jobdog

Live Update Team
No, but I never said it did Timothy

But I think I'm in the best position to comment considering my team has had the equal most amount of MNF games

Timmah

Staff member
Jobdog said:
No, but I never said it did Timothy

But I think I'm in the best position to comment considering my team has had the equal most amount of MNF games

Correction... you don't like the fact your team has had more than it's share, and it's not really convenient for you.

Fox ratings, crowd figures and sponsorships would indicate otherwise.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
m0j0 said:
Exactly! Just how much promotion does Jason Taylor do for rugby league?

I am not the one that brought up Bennett. I said the entire club.

I am sick to death of the same people that whine on this forum about League getting shafted by the AFL on news programs, promotions etc etc, then also whinge because Souths are using Crowe's undoubted ability to get his mug in the same mediums talking about League. I don't follow AFL, so I would rather read about another team than that garbage.

Stop whingeing, and get all the clubs to push their marketing to another level, if we can move on from the chook raffle days, then anyone can do it.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Timmah said:
Correction... you don't like the fact your team has had more than it's share, and it's not really convenient for you.

Fox ratings, crowd figures and sponsorships would indicate otherwise.
Well thats probably got an element of truth in it too, but imo rugby league is a weekend sport, which constitutes friday,saturday,sunday. But not f**king Monday. The only reason its getting supposed good ratings is because its novel - its new. I dare say the same thing would happen if we had Sunday night football.

salivor

First Grade
Jobdog said:
And in response to that, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who likes Monday night football

Really? You'd find anyone who likes Monday night football? Really?

A pitty the numbers don't back you up as it's been a ratings winner and the crowds for Monday night football are averaging 16964 compared to the average overall this year of 15368. So I guess all those tuning in and turning up to matches in greater numbers than at other points throughout the weekend are showing up and tuning in to show their dissaproval :roll:.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
salivor said:
Really? You'd find anyone who likes Monday night football? Really?

A pitty the numbers don't back you up as it's been a ratings winner and the crowds for Monday night football are averaging 16964 compared to the average overall this year of 15368. So I guess all those tuning in and turning up to matches in greater numbers than at other points throughout the weekend are showing up and tuning in to show their dissaproval :roll:.
Who gives a sh*t about ratings and all the rest of it? We're talking about player burnout and the rest of it in recent times, and I dare say that the players would welcome the idea of getting rid of MNF altogether, because it doesn't allow them the proper "rest" time in between games. As I said earlier, the only reason its rating well is because its a new concept. Whether or not it remains the same next year remains to be seen.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
But in any case, we've gone way off topic here :p

Personally, I don't care if three minutes is all that separates Souths from making and not making the semis ;-)

salivor

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Who gives a sh*t about ratings and all the rest of it? We're talking about player burnout and the rest of it in recent times, and I dare say that the players would welcome the idea of getting rid of MNF altogether, because it doesn't allow them the proper "rest" time in between games. As I said earlier, the only reason its rating well is because its a new concept. Whether or not it remains the same next year remains to be seen.

I knew this excuse was going to be rolled out sooner or later, it's just about as weak as your "new concept" argument. The NRL has made sure that no side that has competed in Monday night football has played in either of the 2 Friday night football fixtures. Therefore it's no different to teams having to play on a Sunday and then turn up for a Friday night match. The turn around and player recovery hasn't had to change one little bit. Arguement over, got any other crap you'd like to throw at Monday night football?

Timmah

Staff member
I'll agree the season has been more full on with MNF but I haven't heard this "uproar" from the players as you say.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta said:
People forget Souths should have been out of the game after 25 minutes, except for some dioblical video refereeing. The right team won that match, it was a total bout of karma.

Next.

Absolutely, I was at that game and 3 minutes from full time I had Souths fans apologising to me because THEY thought we'd been robbed. The two late tries saved the NRL from yet another refereeing embarassment.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
m0j0 said:
Unfortunately I can't forget this one.

Slowest. Winger. Ever.

Thank god he's your problem now. Wouldn't it be funny if the Warriors made the GF and Todd Byrne got run down by a big, hulking front rower to lose the game?

It's ironic that he showed a decent bit of toe to score the winning try in the game that this thread is all about!

Not the we need Toddy these days, Crockett has way more pace.

Mr Saab

Referee
Seem to recall in 2004 the Broncos helped create a stir crazy environment in Nth QLD when they allowed the semi to be played there.
Brisbane dont do shyte to promote the game....what a joke.

Please give me 3 things you would like the Broncos to do to promot the game in YOUR eyes.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ziggy the God said:
You obviously don't watch Monday Night Football or read any papers.

Back to the press conference thing again are we?
Would you like him to talk in happy cliches
"Taking it one game at a time"
"I think the Storm are a very good team"
"I didnt think the ref had a great game"

Sorry that Wayne Bennett is not Gus "I dont need this shyte youse give me" Gould (2004 game three origin press conference)

Wayne, as salivor has stated, is a coach...he promotes the game through his coaching of his team and the style of play they produce on the field.
Coaches are not meant to be Don Kings and say "Only in Australia"