What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has this Tri-Nations done more harm than good for league

Rodzillas nuts

Juniors
It has been one disaster to the next in this Tr-Nations and I'm wondering if they will bother with the concept for next season.
I would have to say another Tri-Nations down under is a huge no no due to very low crowds.
It is hard to find any positives at all.
Putting more resources back into the NRL is the more logical path to take for league.

Micistm

Bench
Interesting take...Poor crowds have been a disappointment- When Christchurch with 400 000 people can draw almost as much as Auckland someone hasn't done the marketing and hyping properly. Hell my Hometown of Greymouth got 4000 along (It has a population of 8000!!!!!!).
The games themselves I felt have been good, the Christchurch one being the least interesting. The off Field antics of the Fein saga combined with the moron duo Stuart & Mason certainly hasn't helped the game, but I'd hate to see the comp flagged ago with. Decent marketing to hype it up with the NRL/Superleague is certainly needed, international League is still not held in the same light as the Club competitions- Yet could be so much better.
Things certainly need fixing, in marketing, in the rules, and this comp could be something special. Bledisloe cup goes down well in Austalasia, why couldn't this be pumped up as much? Apart from the fact NZ is Rugby obsessed...

eels_fan_01

Bench
Rodzillas nuts said:
It has been one disaster to the next in this Tr-Nations and I'm wondering if they will bother with the concept for next season.
I would have to say another Tri-Nations down under is a huge no no due to very low crowds.
Putting more resources back into the NRL is the more logical path to take for league.

The crowds may have been disappointing but they still won't be that bad considering all tri nations crowds over the years. England built the tournament up with promotion and now NZ and Australia need more games over here to do the same.

I think there has been a big positive. Many people have said the quality has been of State of origin quality, thats a massive plus you idiot.

Micistm

Bench
I agree. The passion of all teams has been fantastic. The Superleague/ARL fiasco a few years ago did much more damage to the game, and it's now getting good again. Just needs some ironing out of some rough spots, that's all. Wiping it completely is crazy. It's looking good.

carlnz

Bench
Rodzillas nuts said:

You’re a f**ken Idiot!!! Rugby League is on the news every night here in NZ and in every paper every day!! Crowds are expected to be low for the GB games in New Zealand historically speaking. If Brisbane gets 45,000+ and Sydney gets over 30,000 then we will beat the 2004 Crowd attendances. We will easily smash last years so the crowd has improved. Plus all the games crowds have been better than most NRL teams...

It shows you know pretty much nothing about the Tri Nations as the next one is in 2009.

The 2006 Tri Nations is the best thing to ever happen to International Rugby League.

Micistm

Bench
'Putting resources back into NRL' is insane as well!!!! Let's get International League up and running properly. Or is the topic creator a little concerned the bigger and better it gets the more of an even playing field it becomes with Aussie less of the be all and end all, and dare I say it, losing more often in the years ahead?! ;-P

JW

Coach
Speaking of very low crowds Rodz, are they bringing back the APC next year? You know, the comp that was going to revolusionise Union? :lol:

Neatoboy

Juniors
I think overall the Tri nations have been a success even though there have only been small crowds. International league is still growing, and the closeness of most of the games shows that. I think we need to stop comparing ourselves to Union... it will be some time until we get comparable crowds to them but until then lets enjoy international league!

ucantseeme

Juniors
I think the 3N is great for RL, just dont want to see it every year

as far as crowds go, i'm not too concerned accept I hope for the final the stadium at least looks full, getting less than 30000 would be bad

ocko

juniors
carlnz said:

The 2006 Tri Nations is the best thing to ever happen to International Rugby League.

You gotta be kidding...cracks that were previously wallpapered over have been blown right open...how much of the publicity has been good, and how much has been just plain farcical?

playdaball

Bench
2006 Tri Nations has been great. The series has done alot to establish international RL downunder. Most importantly it has reinforced a unique brand of RL. This is not NRL, ESL or Origin, it is international football which is more physical - great stuff.
All of the games to date have been entertaining and fairly close (apart from Wellington). The series will go right down to the wire with a place in the final up for grabs in the last 'pool' game.
The NZ and Sydney crowds were dissapointing with an average of around 19K. The Melbourne crowd was pleasing whilst the next 2 games should attract crowds of 35K+.
The Grannygate was a shocker but that will not happen again - fingers x.

Overall a good series.

One last comment ...

It appears that a number of people try to put down International RL, claiming that NRL is a better competition ...

compare the average crowds between NRL and the Tri Series!

BuffaloRules

Coach
The sports media in Sydney and Brisbane is dominated by the RL tri-nations...

If this was not being played the media might have to give some attention to the Wallabies northern hemisphere tour...

Thankfully no one seems aware that the Wallabies are playing at the moment..

So how can the tri nations be a bad thing Nuts??

hutch

First Grade
Rodzillas nuts said:

wrong troll, all wrong. seems to me that you are a little insecure.

Ari Gold

Bench
ocko said:
You gotta be kidding...cracks that were previously wallpapered over have been blown right open...how much of the publicity has been good, and how much has been just plain farcical?

Better for the cracks to appear now than in the 2008 WC..

The publicity that the Tri-Nations has had this year instantly makes it a positive, we are getting more than the double the media attention that AFL and UNION are getting atm, so RL is still on people's mind while AFL is just a backthought.

Brutus

Referee
I think the Aussie public became a little tired of union a couple of years ago.

The false hype created around the 03 union world cup has long gone because the game is utter crap.

It's great watching International Rugby League gain strength again and it must be hurting union freaks like nuts.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Bad news is better than good news for publicity.

I'm just praying some players were in a gang fight so Rugby League gets more.

adamkungl

Immortal
Im really getting sick of this violence crap the media is whining about for this series, saying its brought the game back 25 years and such. This series has been no more violent than any other league game. I've watched every game. Fights, big f**kin deal, a bit of fire is expected in international games. Foul play on the other hand has been no more prominent than any NRL game. Some of the stuff the media is whining about, ie the Telegraph calling it "thugby" is really overblown. The Morley 'high' tackle wasn't high, and the Mason 'late' shot (which i didnt think was late, maybe high) is no worse than what we see every couple of weeks in the NRL.

As for crowds, the Australian crowds have been pretty good, though not spectacular, though the NZ crowds pretty poor. In terms of football the series has been great, I've enjoyed every game. I would definitely like to see the series continue, hopefully international league will continue to become more and more competitive and draw bigger crowds.

Cujo

Juniors
A thumbs-up from Cujo. Obviously GB still have loads of ground to make up on SH sides especially in terms of consistency but I'd rather we were playing these matches than not playing them. On the media side in the UK there has been a minor improvement in coverage/interest but it looks like the media coverage in Aus and NZ has gone through the roof and that's got to be good for the game.

Latest posts