What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depends what happens to the would-be and potential consumer after you bury the competitor though.

Your product shouldn’t be dependant on burying competition. Matter of fact it should be strong enough to sway would be and potential consumers from the competitors over in an authentic, organic and genuine way. IE our product is superior in multiple facets such as costs, travel, family, entertainment and general engagement between product and consumer.

It’s smarter to use those said strengths to pull the would-be and potential consumers over then risk simply burying a competitor and then those same would be and potential consumers actually end up going to another competitor instead of your product IE. Western Bears crush Western Force but then the Force fans jump over Dockers or Eagles in AFL as opposed to Bears in the NRL.

Commercial chess and Rugby is doing a fine job in its own self implosion here. We don’t need to waste energy or time for them. Spend that energy and time growing/strengthening our own game/product.
Not so bothered about the fans, most union fans look down on league and not likely to swap. I want the jnrs! If theres only one Rugby (sic) for them to play in WA then we will get more of the kids who are attuned to playing a contact sport over to RL.
Giving union, a sport that has tried to sht on league for over 100 years, a bloody nose in the process is just the icing on the cake.

Your product shouldn’t be dependant on burying competition. Matter of fact it should be strong enough to sway would be and potential consumers from the competitors over in an authentic, organic and genuine way
Dream on buddy, most of the big companies in the world get that way by swallowing their competition. Many economists now recognize (after years and numerous different theories) that the collapse in productivity throughout western economies over the last thirty years has been caused by this phenomenon.
No reason why the same reason the same thing couldn`t happen in sport under certain circumstances, does make you wonder if that is the reason why the ARLC has put restrictions on who might buy into the NRL franchises.

Dream on buddy, most of the big companies in the world get that way by swallowing their competition. Many economists now recognize (after years and numerous different theories) that the collapse in productivity throughout western economies over the last thirty years has been caused by this phenomenon.
No reason why the same reason the same thing couldn`t happen in sport under certain circumstances, does make you wonder if that is the reason why the ARLC has put restrictions on who might buy into the NRL franchises.
Nothing to dream. You quite literally reinforced the very point with your paragraph “Many economists now recognize (after years and numerous different theories) that the collapse in productivity throughout western economies over the last thirty years has been caused by this phenomenon.”

We aren’t here trying to produce or reproduce things the way it was 30 years ago. We have data and science to prove what works best now.

Make your product the strongest it can be and use that strength as its selling point.

Not so bothered about the fans, most union fans look down on league and not likely to swap. I want the jnrs! If theres only one Rugby (sic) for them to play in WA then we will get more of the kids who are attuned to playing a contact sport over to RL.
Giving union, a sport that has tried to sht on league for over 100 years, a bloody nose in the process is just the icing on the cake.
You need to be worried about the fans. They’re the ones whose support will make or break a club. No fans, no market then no market, limited corporate appeal = struggles. New fans won’t be sprouted out of the ground they’ll be partial viewers from AFL or Rugby. Western Bears will have a better chance to sway them over by putting on a better product whilst Rugby keeps crippling themselves then trying to directly combat Rugby and putting those people off on the outset. Honey > Vinegar.

Strengthen your product and make it the best it can possibly be. That’s the selling point. NRL is literally expanding again because the product is the strongest it’s ever been therefore there’s more commercial opportunities and because of those opportunities it’s opening up new markets.

It’s not hard to grasp. Rugby Union isn’t even an afterthought in all this.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing to dream. You quite literally reinforced the very point with your paragraph “Many economists now recognize (after years and numerous different theories) that the collapse in productivity throughout western economies over the last thirty years has been caused by this phenomenon.”

We aren’t here trying to produce or reproduce things the way it was 30 years ago. We have data and science to prove what works best now.

Make your product the strongest it can be and use that strength as its selling point.

You need to be worried about the fans. They’re the ones whose support will make or break a club. No fans, no market then no market, limited corporate appeal = struggles. New fans won’t be sprouted out of the ground they’ll be partial viewers from AFL or Rugby. Western Bears will have a better chance to sway them over by putting on a better product whilst Rugby keeps crippling themselves then trying to directly combat Rugby and putting those people off on the outset. Honey > Vinegar.

Strengthen your product and make it the best it can possibly be. That’s the selling point. NRL is literally expanding again because the product is the strongest it’s ever been therefore there’s more commercial opportunities and because of those opportunities it’s opening up new markets.

It’s not hard to grasp. Rugby Union isn’t even an afterthought in all this.
We have rugby league fans to invest in engaging and will convert the curious. Trying to turn died in the wool ruggers fans to league is a waste of resources. Screw union, let them reap what they have sewn.

We have rugby league fans to invest in engaging and will convert the curious. Trying to turn dyed in the wool ruggers fans to league is a waste of resources. Screw union, let them reap what they have sewn.
Yes, convert the curious which includes rugby fans by delivering a superior product….

Literally what I am saying.

RedVee

First Grade
Hindsight:
Any deep thoughts on if you would have preferred Paul Smith to have come in or are you happy with the outcome that you ultimately got?
Deep thoughts? No. :D

But at the time I would have jumped at Paul Smiths offer. I still have a feeling of “what if?”. Especially at the time of the first few years when ‘do nothing’ was the strategy.

But since Lancaster has taken over as Chair, and lead WIN* board member from “young Mr Gordon” I have been heartened. The couple of times I have heard him speak I have been impressed. I think he wants to lead us back into the semis at least, potentially build the base for a winning club. Obv jury still out on that, but I don’t think he enjoys coming 12th etc…

* it actually isn’t WIN but a Gordon family company that owns that 50%, can’t think of the name, Burkalu or something

Latest posts