What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has your care factor waned?

Did you tell the ‘performance coach’ that he is f**ken shit at his job?
I had to look up what a performance coach is, what a banker of a title.

NRL Performance Coach at Wests Tigers Rugby League

About​

Former elite amateur boxer having fought both nationally and internationally.

Through practical experience and theoretical knowledge I have developed into a well rounded Performance Coach that bridges the gap between sports science and practical application. Thinking globally, whilst keeping it simple.

I’m big on standards, mindset and attitude and a big believer of getting the 99% right and doing the simple things really well.

My bold above - the above was found on Linkedin, by simply searching by 'west tigers performance coach. Stryker, I'd say this guy failed at his job.

stryker

First Grade

About​

Through practical experience and theoretical knowledge I have developed into a well rounded Performance Coach that bridges the gap between sports science and practical application. Thinking globally, whilst keeping it simple.

I’m big on standards, mindset and attitude and a big believer of getting the 99% right and doing the simple things really well.

My bold above - the above was found on Linkedin, by simply searching by 'west tigers performance coach. Stryker, I'd say this guy failed at his job.
Yep the opposite is true at Wests Tigers lol…

For once, I don't think the issue is just simply that the WT suck. Look at the results over this weekend, something is completely wrong with NRL and the game has absolutely gone to shit.

To be honest, I kind of blame the fans, but then the NRL listening to the fans and making reactionary decisions. Fans whinge and whinge about ref blunders, but then when they tried to reduce ref blunders we had too many penalties and a stop/start boring game. Then when we tried to speed it up with less stoppages, you have games that are decided within the first 10 mins.

We need to just go back to one referee with no earpiece. If he makes blunders then so be it. If he wants to send it upstairs then upstairs can look at it, but that's it. Fans will whinge about the bad calls but it won't ruin the gladiatorial combat of NRL

I think if they went back to the 5 metre rule (or the unofficial 7 metres) it would help a lot. I'm a supporter of what V'landys has been trying to do. It's pretty clear they see the late 80's into the 90's as the golden age of league (something I agree with wholeheartedly) and are trying to replicate it. I reckon they can achieve this to a point by re-introducing that rule. It would help with the early blow outs.

I completely agree with you about the refs. I'd maybe keep the video refs for decisions involving the dead ball and sidelines only. They can be bloody hard to pick and they're usually resolved quickly. If they've going to have communication with anyone make it the touchie. If they're being paid more than $15 an hour they're getting overpaid. They do absolutely bugger all now. Make them earn their coin. If they're looking at back play, obstructions etc, and tipping the ref, or coming onto the field for foul play then it's only going to help them develop into better refs themselves. Which is surely what they're aiming for.

I can cop mistakes. None of us are perfect and the refs are on a hiding to nothing. If Lockyer, for example, was subject to the abuse and diatribe that refs are every time they are viewed to have made the slightest mistake, every time he missed a tackle his head would have exploded. I use him as an example of someone who was a great player but missed a lot of tackles, hence made a lot of mistakes every single game. The refs have to make many more decisions every game than a player has to. They have the hardest job on the field, from a decision making and mental perspective.

Of course we can always go back the wrestling, stop/start boring structured bullshit of the last 15 years, when you'd get about 30 minutes of play in an 80 minute game. The games were a lot closer then. There's no pleasing some 'fans' though.

Tiger05

First Grade
Did you tell the ‘performance coach’ that he is f**ken shit at his job?

I wrestled him. I should have bashed him but my style is more to talk shit and get bashed by guys twice my size. My instructor who is the Tigers wrestling coach would bash the players. He is a hard merkin. We don't get along great even though we are mates. He reminds me of you but he is actually a tough merkin whereas you are soft.

Tiger05

First Grade

About​

I wonder if this is the guy. There was no photo so I can't tell. My impression is the guy has been doing this years and knows what he is doing.

The wrestling coach is a beast and the opposite of soft.

stryker

First Grade
I wrestled him. I should have bashed him but my style is more to talk shit and get bashed by guys twice my size. My instructor who is the Tigers wrestling coach would bash the players. He is a hard merkin. We don't get along great even though we are mates. He reminds me of you but he is actually a tough merkin whereas you are soft.
I’m not soft sweetheart. For starters I don’t wrestle - like a god damned twinkieh does…

stryker

First Grade
I think if they went back to the 5 metre rule (or the unofficial 7 metres) it would help a lot. I'm a supporter of what V'landys has been trying to do. It's pretty clear they see the late 80's into the 90's as the golden age of league (something I agree with wholeheartedly) and are trying to replicate it. I reckon they can achieve this to a point by re-introducing that rule. It would help with the early blow outs.

I completely agree with you about the refs. I'd maybe keep the video refs for decisions involving the dead ball and sidelines only. They can be bloody hard to pick and they're usually resolved quickly. If they've going to have communication with anyone make it the touchie. If they're being paid more than $15 an hour they're getting overpaid. They do absolutely bugger all now. Make them earn their coin. If they're looking at back play, obstructions etc, and tipping the ref, or coming onto the field for foul play then it's only going to help them develop into better refs themselves. Which is surely what they're aiming for.

I can cop mistakes. None of us are perfect and the refs are on a hiding to nothing. If Lockyer, for example, was subject to the abuse and diatribe that refs are every time they are viewed to have made the slightest mistake, every time he missed a tackle his head would have exploded. I use him as an example of someone who was a great player but missed a lot of tackles, hence made a lot of mistakes every single game. The refs have to make many more decisions every game than a player has to. They have the hardest job on the field, from a decision making and mental perspective.

Of course we can always go back the wrestling, stop/start boring structured bullshit of the last 15 years, when you'd get about 30 minutes of play in an 80 minute game. The games were a lot closer then. There's no pleasing some 'fans' though.
I think one of the reasons that the 80’s and 90’s football was so much fun to watch was because they kept the ball alive. That is hard to do with the current generation being trained since birth to tackle high and wrap the ball up. I agree that it would be nice to get back to everyone playing eyes up footy but today’s structure and body size as opposed to skill set won’t allow it to occur.
For this I blame the coaches.

macnaz

Staff member
@Vic
My interest in the NRL has been waning over the last few seasons , but the new set restart rules have really been a MASSIVE game changer now how they can manipulate the game . There was a time when I'd halt everything in life for a football game regardless of whom is playing.. Fox super Saturday was just that ..a super night of 3 NRL games back to back but now in the current format I look at the team's playing and pick the winners knowing out right there is 0.001% chance of an underdog winning so don't even bother watching.
No one can say it's sower grapes because I'm a WestsTigers supporter and we havnt been in the eight for 11 years now so it's nothing new. , I've just lost interest in the game and in 2021 I've canceled Foxtel and more importantly Membership because of this shit Westigers club and the way they outright ripped me and 1000's of their very own members off to make a cheap buck..
They are merkins and it's no wonder the players and supporters have had enough.
Ps .. I'm still chasing answers and an apology.

stryker

First Grade
@Vic
My interest in the NRL has been waning over the last few seasons , but the new set restart rules have really been a MASSIVE game changer now how they can manipulate the game . There was a time when I'd halt everything in life for a football game regardless of whom is playing.. Fox super Saturday was just that ..a super night of 3 NRL games back to back but now in the current format I look at the team's playing and pick the winners knowing out right there is 0.001% chance of an underdog winning so don't even bother watching.
No one can say it's sower grapes because I'm a WestsTigers supporter and we havnt been in the eight for 11 years now so it's nothing new. , I've just lost interest in the game and in 2021 I've canceled Foxtel and more importantly Membership because of this shit Westigers club and the way they outright ripped me and 1000's of their very own members off to make a cheap buck..
They are merkins and it's no wonder the players and supporters have had enough.
Ps .. I'm still chasing answers and an apology.
Well said.
I think these views are supported by many RL fans.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I feel like all this mess started when they tried to crack down on the wrestle and slowing the play the ball down. They have taken a mentality that if you penalize (first by penalties, now by 6 agains) players enough that coaches will re-adjust their tactics. It's complete bs - it just ruins the game.

MasterTiger

Juniors
Its important to recognize fundamentally the game hasn't changed from day dot. What I mean is this:

Run harder and tackle harder then the opposition
Adapt and improvise
Have a play of pattern for all set 6 scenarios .....in attack especially and defense. Storm are masters of this.
Improve your personal game by ways of training. And I mean football skills.....not weightlifting.
Have a goddamn crack. Remember. Its just a game of footy....its not that hard. Performing brain surgery to save a young life is hard.

stryker

First Grade
I don’t think we have a good team yet, but it is amazing how much a win brings back hope, however short lived it may turn out to be😂
Certainly don’t have a good team but a good performance this weekend will set them up for the final drive home which is on the soft side as opposed to some other squads.

stryker

First Grade
Its important to recognize fundamentally the game hasn't changed from day dot. What I mean is this:

Run harder and tackle harder then the opposition
Adapt and improvise
Have a play of pattern for all set 6 scenarios .....in attack especially and defense. Storm are masters of this.
Improve your personal game by ways of training. And I mean football skills.....not weightlifting.
Have a goddamn crack. Remember. Its just a game of footy....its not that hard. Performing brain surgery to save a young life is hard.
It is a very simple game that has been over complicated to the point that it is now hard to play well consistently.