What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever switched support to another team?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I wanted Canterbury Bankstown to win the 1967 Grand Final for some strange reason but the Rabbitohs thankfully won. After that, I realised that Berries supporters were a bunch of arseholes (with some obvious suggestion from Mum).

I don't know who she went for but she hated the Berries. Dad was an Easts supporter. In 1968, I had it narrowed down to the Tigers, Magpies and Sea Eagles but decided on the Sea Eagles.

Only twice did I consider flicking the Sea Eagles and becoming a neutral. First was in 1986 when they signed Cliff Lyons who I thought was a complete wanker. How wrong was I when he ended up being one of the Sea Eagles' best players of the past 50 years.

The other time was when Nate Myles was signed who is even a bigger wanker and a waste of money.

But I'm still hanging in there...

some11

Referee
The concept is completely alien to me.

Vh65dN2.gif

Jason Maher

Immortal
I changed my mind several times in my first year following league as a kid. Started off with Balmain, then Brisbane, then Penrith, then Canberra, before finally settling on Illawarra over the off season in 1989-90. Yep, I switched form the premiers to the wooden spooners. Who knows what runs through the mind of a child? Penrith and Gold Coast became my second teams.

So yeah, I was basically alien before it was cool.

cleary89

Coach
First item of clothing I ever wore was a dragons jersey and dad always took me to Kogarah as a kid. Grew up in the shire though and when parents split up when I was 8 was the super league war. Mum would take me to sharks games and I guess a lot of the kids at school supported sharks.

I still always went for saints but even now I have stages where I go from absolutely despising them to feeling a bit sorry for them and hope they don't lost by 40 every single game.

Still love going to henson and wearing some newtown jets gear even though they were out of the comp 6 years before I was born.

Bazal

Post Whore
Never. Couldn't do it. I don't care how shit Parra are could never support anyone else. I may not always want to watch them be shit, but I generally keep tabs on the game at worst or just straight up wind up watching it anyway

Vic Mackey

Referee
Was a Western Reds fan for all of 4 weeks.
There was huge fan fare when they hit Perth in 1995. All the kids at the local league team had reds gear. Our parents mainly kept their old teams but they pushed us kids to support our hometown team. Had all the Reds gear. Remember kids at school asking me about the team and the game in general. Went to a packed WACA for the first game against dragons and their was a great atmosphere. Then a few weeks later super league hit. All the kids binned the reds gear. Most went to supporting their parents teams or the big guns at the time (manly and raiders). I picked Souths because my father was from la perouse. People stopped going to reds game. When they did go they usually went to support the out of town team. All this happened before my 7th birthday but can remember it quite Clearly. Have supported souths through the ups and downs (mostly downs) ever since and even when they weren't in the comp i wouldnt support another team.

Should never have kicked the Reds out of the comp, if they were still around they'd have a massive following IMO. Have been to Perth a few times and they are pretty knowledgable and open to the NRL.

Always been a tigers fan however when I started playing league as a kid my teams colours were blue and white, so I said I was a Bulldogs fan now, think that only lasted a week or two though.

thorson1987

Coach
I changed my mind several times in my first year following league as a kid. Started off with Balmain, then Brisbane, then Penrith, then Canberra, before finally settling on Illawarra over the off season in 1989-90. Yep, I switched form the premiers to the wooden spooners. Who knows what runs through the mind of a child? Penrith and Gold Coast became my second teams.

So yeah, I was basically alien before it was cool.

lol

moffla

Bench
I grew up in Western Sydney going to Parramatta games but never really formed a connection. Moved to Melbourne and loved the storm almost immediately. Not sure if that counts as switching or finally forming an allegiance to a team

azzah72

Bench
As a little kid, I was given a Dogs Jersey by an uncle trying to convert me but it never really stuck despite going to a few games, My Dad was a Rabbits supporter but never really liked them.

In the end I just liked the Sharks and became a glutton for punishment ever since.

magpie_man

Juniors
It was State of Origin that got me interested in Rugby League as a child, as it was the only time of the year that I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime.
Following that, I began devotedly collecting football cards and became beguiled by the great Canberra Raiders team of the late '80s and early '90s.
Then, Super League broke-out and I, now in my early 'teens, completely lost interest in the game for a passage of time.
At the reunification of '98, I was in my mid-teens and going through a contrarian phase, typical of that age-group, and so, almost ironically, decided to start supporting the team representing the region of my birth and, perhaps, the worst Rugby League team of all-time: The Western Suburbs Magpies.
The jeers of my Bronocs/Dragons/Bulldogs/AFL-supporting peers only bastioned my resolve and a life-long commitment was birthed.
Naturally, my support evolved to the Wests Tigers when the joint-venture was formulated, albeit I was relieved that the marriage mate was the Balmain Tigers rather than the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs, whom I hated with the fire of a thousand suns.
It has been a excruciating and masochistic relationship ever since with my commitment only momentarily wavering during the Hoppoate proctology fiasco.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
As a kid I followed the Broncos religiously. Steve Renouf was my hero.

When the Broncos joined super league I stopped following them. My family didn't have foxtel and that was the only way to watch them. I stopped following league completely but came back in the early 2000s.

Like a woman scorned I wouldn't watch the Broncos any more and found another team to follow.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Should never have kicked the Reds out of the comp, if they were still around they'd have a massive following IMO. Have been to Perth a few times and they are pretty knowledgable and open to the NRL.

Always been a tigers fan however when I started playing league as a kid my teams colours were blue and white, so I said I was a Bulldogs fan now, think that only lasted a week or two though.

Reds stuffed themselves up. No-one to blame but themselves. In 1995 every kid in the local league club was keen to go to their games, by 1997 they literally couldn't give tickets away

_Johnsy

Referee
When I was 4, parra were playing the Dragons. Dragons won & mum/dad & brothers upset. 41 years later there has only ever been the red V.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Reds stuffed themselves up. No-one to blame but themselves. In 1995 every kid in the local league club was keen to go to their games, by 1997 they literally couldn't give tickets away

You obviously know a lot more then me, why was that? Did going to SL ruin them?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The NRL started getting weekly coverage in NZ in 1989, and i initially got caught up in the hype around the Tigers with their grand final run. Also had a soft spot for Manly due to their strong Kiwi connection in that period, but as it was announced by about 1992 that Auckland would be entering the comp I never really chose a side seriously until the Warriors entered, and have followed them ever since.