1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Have you ever switched support to another team?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Grapple, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Grapple

Grapple Bench

I imagine on this forum the majority would be loyal but i'm interested to hear from both those that have and reasons behind it, and those that would never dream doing so.

Players sign with other teams all the time, what makes fans any different? Does it REALLY mean anything, or is it seen like cheating on your partner? (but it's okay if you occasionally look/flirt with other women) Is it the history of the club, birthplace or family that makes you stay?

I originally supported North Sydney when I grew up, had the jersey and everything. I have no idea why, but it may have had to do with the fact everyone else in my neighbourhood supported Canberra or Brisbane in the nineties.

Discuss.

2. Clifferd

Clifferd Coach

Inb4 Alien

3. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

Back when I was a kid, my best mate and I made a pact to support Newtown, who were running last at the time. It lasted until I went to a game against the Panthers and could not in my heart support the Jets against them. Newtown were my second team when they made the prelim in 1973, and the GF in 1981, outplaying the mighty Parra backline for nearly 70 minutes before getting overrun.

4. DiegoNT

DiegoNT First Grade

Was a Western Reds fan for all of 4 weeks.
    There was huge fan fare when they hit Perth in 1995. All the kids at the local league team had reds gear. Our parents mainly kept their old teams but they pushed us kids to support our hometown team. Had all the Reds gear. Remember kids at school asking me about the team and the game in general. Went to a packed WACA for the first game against dragons and their was a great atmosphere. Then a few weeks later super league hit. All the kids binned the reds gear. Most went to supporting their parents teams or the big guns at the time (manly and raiders). I picked Souths because my father was from la perouse. People stopped going to reds game. When they did go they usually went to support the out of town team. All this happened before my 7th birthday but can remember it quite Clearly. Have supported souths through the ups and downs (mostly downs) ever since and even when they weren't in the comp i wouldnt support another team.

5. POPEYE

POPEYE Coach

Only team I don't support is the Dogs . . . the rest have my undivided attention

6. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

The minute the Knights came in I changed to my home town team. Was a Sharks supporter b4 that.

#glutton4punishment

7. Raiders_Premiers

Raiders_Premiers First Grade

I was a Manly fan from when I started following League in 96 until 98, when I found out that Canberra had a team.

8. Grapple

Grapple Bench

I don't blame anyone for not supporting us but what lies behind your hatred for Canterbury, Pops? Genuinely interested.

9. DeeJ

DeeJ Bench

When I was a kid, for some reason I decided to support the Bulldogs in 1995. I think because kids love to be on a winning side and I got caught up in the hype of Terry Lamb retiring as a champion. I used to draw their logo all over my school stuff.

It didn't take long to switch back, but I think I favoured Manly in 1996 though for similar reasons.

10. thorson1987

thorson1987 Coach

Was a bears fan growing up.

Was devestated when they merged with manly.

Didn't really follow that abortion but went to watch some games to watch the bears players going around.

Had Melbourne as my 2nd team due to being born there so when the Bears were completely gone after the merger started supporting Melbourne and haven't looked back.

If by some chance the Bears came back I would have them as my 2nd team.

11. thorson1987

thorson1987 Coach

Remember opening my Reds jersey the morning of my 8th birthday (95)

Loved the thing.

12. dangerousdave

dangerousdave Bench

Illawarra -> St George Illawarra

13. lafai

lafai Bench

Glebe

TiggaPlease likes this.
  14. macavity

macavity Coach

Supported the Bulldogs as a kid as they were my dad's team... Mum supported Manly.

Whole family switched to the Knights when we came in in 1988.

15. roostersrule2

roostersrule2 Bench

No, I ain't no bitch.

16. some11

some11 Coach

aka have you done an alien.

No, and I don't understand how people can full-on support overseas teams with no affiliation to them whatsoever.

17. Apey

Apey Moderator Staff Member

Not yet but I'm about to become a Sharks supporter.

UP! UP! Cronulla!

18. Bronxnation

Bronxnation Juniors

What about if you had to support another team? For example your team was just pulled out theoretically. No merge. What team would you switch to?

19. OVP

OVP Coach

The only one qualified to answer this question is Alien.

20. Grapple

Grapple Bench

It certainly doesn't make sense, but it doesn't have to make sense. People in West Africa support Chelsea and Real Madrid - i've seen it first hand. There is a quality of entertainment that draws people into the game, has nothing to do with locality. What good is affiliation when players (not to mention whole communities) leave to find better pay/life anyway?

Maybe the better question is, "Is club loyalty dead?".