What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever switched support to another team?

DiegoNT

First Grade
You obviously know a lot more then me, why was that? Did going to SL ruin them?

Basically everyone who supported western reds in 1995 had supported a different club in 1994. So the support for Western reds wasn't in people's blood. So when they went to super-league a lot of rugby league people felt betrayed. If the reds where 3 years old they might off been in a better place to make the jump to super-league, but after 3 games people weren't committed enough to make the jump with them. The perth rugby league scene before reds arrival was surprisingly strong, there were over a dozen teams spread out over the city (and down to mandurah and rockingham, perths satellite cities). When super league took over the reds they took over the local comp to and it was neglected. By 1997 local teams were dieing and by the end of the century their was less them half a dozen teams in the whole state.

user_nat

Coach
I can't really imagine wanting to switch teams. Sticking with something is like half the fun of following sport.
Even if a more local team were to join the comp (Sunny Coast (which will (probably) never happen)), I'd like to see that team go well, just not over the Broncos.

STORM.99/07

Bench
When Fitzroy merged with brisbane I stopped following afl and started following Storm. NRL is so much more exciting (Well Storm are) than afl. Been a signed up member of Storm since 1998.

Used to be a huge Broncos supporter in their early days but when Melbourne came into the comp I realised they cheated a lot better than Brisbane so I changed!

adamkungl

Immortal
The concept is completely alien to me.

:clap:

I was born into following the Roosters.
But when I was 6, and it came time to get my first jersey, I liked the look of the Sharks shirt. So for most of 1996 or thereabouts, I was a Sharks fan... until they played the Roosters, and I was torn.
In my memory, the Roosters win and I swung back. I just looked up the results and Roosters didnt beat Cronulla that year, or in 95, and didn't play them in 97 :lol: So my memory is wrong. Nevertheless from then there were no flirtations with other teams, but I still have a soft spot for the Sharks.

As a late twist, a few years later (2000 or 2001 I suppose) my younger brother jumped from Roosters to Sharks. We won the comp in 02, and Sharks entered a diabolical post-Anderson period only seeming to truly end now. But he's still showing up every week.

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I've booed the Warriors and cheered against them out of pure spite in hideous losses. Still there next week.

Same as NSW - my only connection is a couple of years in Sydney when I was growing up, and I didn't even like league then because I was too young. I still support them despite the years and years and f**ken years of failure.

steggz

Juniors
I was a Canberra supporter as a primary school kid in the early-mid 90's. When they signed with Super League, I wasn't happy and spent a lot of '96 (as a 10 year old!) thinking about who to support. Ended up going for the closest ARL-aligned side which was St George.

Writing that made me realise this is my 20th full season supporting St George/St George Illawarra. They should put out a commemorative jersey for me...

Vic Mackey

Referee
When Fitzroy merged with brisbane I stopped following afl and started following Storm. NRL is so much more exciting (Well Storm are) than afl. Been a signed up member of Storm since 1998.

Well done mate, in my experience a lot of Melbournians and big AFL fans have a casual interest in the storm and say they support them. It's very different to sydney where you either support NRL or AFL and rarely cross over.

Used to be a huge Broncos supporter in their early days but when Melbourne came into the comp I realised they cheated a lot better than Brisbane so I changed!

:lol: absolute quality

footy75

Bench

If u had of stayed with the merger u would of experienced 3 grand final victories in a row when the Lions had that awesome team. Anyway good move, go the fkn Storm.

POPEYE

Coach
I don't blame anyone for not supporting us but what lies behind your hatred for Canterbury, Pops? Genuinely interested.

Hate is for imbeciles ol' mate, especially in sport. I don't really dislike the Dogs, unfortunately I dislike a lot of the new Australians that don't want to be Australian who congregate in the CB area . . . so it's just my infantile way of protest

KiamaSaint

Coach
Always been a Dragons' man, born into, my whole family are Dragons fans. My younger brother for a season went for the Bulldogs. He denies it until I bring up the mini leather Bulldogs football he use to own. It only lasted for a season and it was just one of those kid things, all our friends were Bulldog fans, but he soon came back.

Last Week

Bench
I've never switched. Parra's cheating this year has made me consider no longer supporting them, but I couldn't switch. I'd just give the game away.

I've been disappointed with the games administration since Dave Smith left. I could cop it when News owned half the game as it was clear that the game was being held back. But the Commission was brought in to unify the game and move us forward. I don't know about others, but I feel like the game is more divided than ever and I still feel that we are stagnant in our progress.

Back on topic, my dad followed Souths up until his 20's. He didn't really follow the game much then though. He eventually switched to Parramatta in the late 60s. Not sure why.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I was a Bears fan before 82, but having been born in Canberra and living here for the majority of my life I quickly swapped to the Raiders after they were admitted.

Still have a soft spot for the Bears though, and if they were ever readmitted they'd definitely be my second team again.