What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne needs to get an education

abpanther

Staff member
CDE1m8lUsAEtXb2.jpg:large

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Bugger it if he doesn't get on the final list, he's already living the dream. Bloody enjoyed watching that. He must pinch himself every day that he's wearing a 9ers kit and getting a chance.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Jarryd Hayne

@49ers #38 🏽🏽️ the reason 38 means everything to me. In 2005 at 17yrs old i made the Parramatta NRL preseason squad. I was given the squad number #38. Making that squad was a huge step to fulfill a childhood dream of playing in the NRL. That number remained significant to me as it was the first number I received being a professional athlete. Now 10years later on the other side of the world I get the opportunity to fulfill another dream. Was overwhelmed when I found out it was available at the #49ers because I wanted to represent that time of my life. #38 Love that I get to bring a bit of my past into my future

legend

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/jarryd-hayne-to-return-to-sydney-for-foot-surgery-20150611-ghlcx1.html

Jarryd Hayne to return to Sydney for foot surgery

Jarryd Hayne will reportedly return to Australia for minor foot surgery.

Hayne has developed a cyst on the arch of his foot and will undergo surgery in Sydney after this week's minicamp with the San Francisco 49ers, according to reports in the US.

He is expected to recover within a few days.

The former Eels and Kangaroos star left the NRL to pursue an NFL career last year.

Advertisement

49er's coach Jim Tomsula said Hayne was starting to improve the skills needed for NFL.

"Now you're starting to see his speed show up, as he's attacking the line, running his tracks and feeling more comfortable," he told the Bay Area News Group.

Hayne said he was focussing on changing his running style.

"Obviously my running style is the biggest thing I have to change, being so high."

Just curious but if it is minor surgery and he'll be okay in a couple of days, why isn't he having it done in the US?

nick87

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/jarryd-hayne-to-return-to-sydney-for-foot-surgery-20150611-ghlcx1.html

Just curious but if it is minor surgery and he'll be okay in a couple of days, why isn't he having it done in the US?

A lot of athletes have doctors/surgeons they are comfortable with and most teams allow them that freedom so long as the guy is reputable, Hayne might have been coming back home after mini-camp anyways to see Family etc, so for a minor surgery the niners were happy for his guy back home to do the work.
Plus the mini camp only runs June 9th-11th, and if the injury is preventing him for participating, the next time he'll likely not have to report to the niners again until July sometime when Training Camp starts, so no need to stay in the US if he doesnt want to

Danish

Referee

Don't know if you are joking or not, but I reckon you got it in one.

Operation is likely free in Oz, whereas it would cost US$20K or more over there. Having had a few mates have to go to hospital on trips to the states the medical bills stack up quick.

nick87

Coach
Don't know if you are joking or not, but I reckon you got it in one.

Operation is likely free in Oz, whereas it would cost US$20K or more over there. Having had a few mates have to go to hospital on trips to the states the medical bills stack up quick.

The niners would be picking up the tab for a football related injury

Danish

Referee
The niners would be picking up the tab for a football related injury

Even so, they aren't in the business of wasting money and if they can get his operation done for the cost of a return fare to Oz that will be cheaper than getting it done over there.

Do they have information on how health cover for NFL athletes work? Their club would pay the bill I expect, but I don't know if they'd be able to actually get insurance as such given the high likelihood of major injuries occurring every year.