What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne needs to get an education

Canard

Immortal
He looks stiff doing the cones, struggled getting in and out of his breaks, and is not a natural hands catcher.

Dont think scouts will be that impressed with that tape.

Not doubting what you are saying at all.

But what is "natural hands catcher" mean?

nick87

Coach
NFL teams ask their players to attack the ball in the air, to catch it with their hands, high and low point the ball and make hands catches, rather than let it come into their chest. They ask QB's to the ball where only the receiver can make a play on it, to minimise risk, so being able to snatch the ball out of the air, in stride, high or low is important.

NFL Db's are usually playing too tight coverage, so if you let the ball come into your chest, you give them a greater chance to be able to swat the ball away, rip it out once it gets there or worse, under cut the route and pick the ball off themselves.

If the balls thrown at the numbers (that refers to the numbers on his jerseys, ie thrown at his chest), they still want you to be extending your arms and attacking the ball, then tuck it away and secure the ball, not let it come into you and secure it that way

Hayne has been playing all his life in a code where you are taught the let the ball hit your chest to catch it and the clip showed he still has that tendency to let the ball come to him

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
NFL teams ask their players to attack the ball in the air, to catch it with their hands, high and low point the ball and make hands catches, rather than let it come into their chest. They ask QB's to the ball where only the receiver can make a play on it, to minimise risk, so being able to snatch the ball out of the air, in stride, high or low is important.

NFL Db's are usually playing too tight coverage, so if you let the ball come into your chest, you give them a greater chance to be able to swat the ball away, rip it out once it gets there or worse, under cut the route and pick the ball off themselves.

If the balls thrown at the numbers (that refers to the numbers on his jerseys, ie thrown at his chest), they still want you to be extending your arms and attacking the ball, then tuck it away and secure the ball, not let it come into you and secure it that way

Hayne has been playing all his life in a code where you are taught the let the ball hit your chest to catch it and the clip showed he still has that tendency to let the ball come to him

That makes sense.

I suppose you really meant he is not a "NFL Style catcher".

nick87

Coach
Yeah pretty much, the NFL combine is going on so im reading a lot of articles using "scout terminology", which is where the "hands catcher" phrase comes from, so i kind of naturally drifted into that. :lol:

shiznit

Coach
Mack is considered an out and out gun though, he may not have earned DROTY honours but you would be hard pressed to find anyone that considers him anything but a freak. Guys like Mack (on projected development) and JJ Watts stand at the pinnacle of defence in the NFL and every running back has trouble contending with them.

Mack and Watts aren't the issue for whether Hayne will succeed. Even though the NFL is considered an 'elite among the elite' competition plenty of guys get by on simply being good enough, or even sub-par for their position, and that is all Hayne needs to be (big question over it though).
I can agree with that....

I brought up Mack was because someone took a shot based on my Sig...

ACTPanthers

Bench
lol at all these imbeciles that get their noses out of joint because they can't handle the fact that they know nothing outside of Rugby League.

ps that isn't just an NFL pic in my sig.... That's Khalil Mack... A 6ft3 115kg outside linebacker who runs the 40 in 4.63... He was one of the best run stoppers in the NFL last season.

He's over 10kgs heavier and within a 10th of a second of Haynes 40 time...

If Jarryd makes it on to the field... That's who he will be running at...

Mack was brilliant in a failing Oakland team

DMac is struggling along with MJD - Murray will be a brilliant RB given a chance

I think Carr, Murray and Mack are great young players Oakland can build around (and if not evident, I'm a Raiders fan ;-)) just not too sure how Del Rio will go as HC....

shiznit

Coach
Mack was brilliant in a failing Oakland team

DMac is struggling along with MJD - Murray will be a brilliant RB given a chance

I think Carr, Murray and Mack are great young players Oakland can build around (and if not evident, I'm a Raiders fan ;-)) just not too sure how Del Rio will go as HC....
Good man....

A man of your obvious class and stature needs to be amongst equals in the NFL sub forum.... :lol:

God-King Dean

Immortal
markdavis1xoburkolhqm.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
lol at all these imbeciles that get their noses out of joint because they can't handle the fact that they know nothing outside of Rugby League.

ps that isn't just an NFL pic in my sig.... That's Khalil Mack... A 6ft3 115kg outside linebacker who runs the 40 in 4.63... He was one of the best run stoppers in the NFL last season.

He's over 10kgs heavier and within a 10th of a second of Haynes 40 time...

If Jarryd makes it on to the field... That's who he will be running at...

So Hayne will make him eat his dust.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIqWm_nLuw - In this video of kickoff and punt returns, they catch the ball in a very similar way to the way they do in Rugby League. Edit: watch with the volume off haha.

Last edited:

Latest posts