What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne needs to get an education

Danish

Referee
But I thought NFL players NEVER get guaranteed money?? Thats what the experts were telling everyone round here??????

Glad he didn't sign for the Lions. I want him to be a success and if he were one at the Lions it would be a detriment to my Vikings :lol:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
But I thought NFL players NEVER get guaranteed money?? Thats what the experts were telling everyone round here??????

Glad he didn't sign for the Lions. I want him to be a success and if he were one at the Lions it would be a detriment to my Vikings :lol:

:lol: but but but he hasn't made the pro bowl yet!!!...

The way NFL fans on here speak about players is exactly the same as AFL fans on bigpoofy. "We has the best athletes in da world! No others could eva match our superstars! Blah blah blah"

BunniesMan

Immortal
The way NFL fans on here speak about players is exactly the same as AFL fans on bigpoofy. "We has the best athletes in da world! No others could eva match our superstars! Blah blah blah"

Ignoring your homophobia, literally every diehard fan of every sport on earth thinks theirs is the best. NRL, NFL, AFL, Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball, chess, backgammon. Everyone thinks their favourite sport is the best or it wouldn't their favourite!

nick87

Coach

I havent seen any report saying he's got guaranteed money?
He's signed a futures contract, which usually contain no guarantee's other than a spot in the 90 man roster that will take part in training camp in few months.

Even if there is 100k locked in, a player on the active roster earns a minimum of 450k, the salary cap is 143mil. 100k is quite literally chump change.

He's signed a contract that will get him a spot on the 90 man roster to compete for 53 spots, in reality, about 40-45 of those spots are already squared away, including the up coming draft, so he's in a shit fight with 50+ guys competing for 10 spots.

Big challenge, but i hope he succeeds

Craig Johnston

First Grade
He's signed a futures contract, which usually contain no guarantee's other than a spot in the 90 man roster that will take part in training camp in few months.

Even if there is 100k locked in, a player on the active roster earns a minimum of 450k, the salary cap is 143mil. 100k is quite literally chump change.

He's signed a contract that will get him a spot on the 90 man roster to compete for 53 spots, in reality, about 40-45 of those spots are already squared away, including the up coming draft, so he's in a shit fight with 50+ guys competing for 10 spots.

love how you hedge your bets, the 100k guarantee exists and proves you knew as much as anyone else, how many other future contracts then do you know of that are guaranteed for 20 weeks?

Hutty1986

Immortal

Mate excuse my ignorance, but say he grabs one of those 10 spots, as unlikely as that is.

So he's in the 53-man roster, is there any more stability there or will that be cut down a fair bit soon afterwards?

I imagine there's plenty more hoops to jump through & probably a NFL spot is 2-3 years away, should he even manage to stay on the club's books.

nick87

Coach
love how you hedge your bets, the 100k guarantee exists and proves you knew as much as anyone else, how many other future contracts then do you know of that are guaranteed for 20 weeks?

At a guess id say 20 weeks is about the time they'll start Training Camp, which is the entire point of future contracts, to maintain rights into the start of training camp... So yeah, they are all guaranteed for that period, if they weren't there would be no point having them contracted at all

nick87

Coach
Mate excuse my ignorance, but say he grabs one of those 10 spots, as unlikely as that is.

So he's in the 53-man roster, is there any more stability there or will that be cut down a fair bit soon afterwards?

I imagine there's plenty more hoops to jump through & probably a NFL spot is 2-3 years away, should he even manage to stay on the club's books.

not really much more stability. NFL teams cut guys from active rosters every week. If one team cuts a player they think can help them more than Hayne, they'll have no hesitation in signing them to take Haynes roster spot

The rosters start at 90, then get cut down to 75ish and then get cut down to 53 for the season. My guess would be if he's on the active 53 man roster, it will be because the team really sees something in him, despite his rawness, so in this situation i would see it being a little bit more stable than most. But if he's one of those last 10 odd blokes, he's living day to day, they can and do cut those guys regularly.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Saw Hayne wearing a SF Cap on the news.:lol:

Someone should have told him that routine is only reserved for those that make the roster cut and for those that are drafted into a organization.

I saw him doing the workouts and drills yesterday.

I have to be perfectly honest here and state he was in comparison to the young blokes fresh out of college,much slower and very uncoordinated.

Unless he picks up on his pace off the mark,he will not make it past the next cut in August.

ragzouken

Juniors
probably the smartest place for hayne to go (aside from the guarantee of 100k something detroit wouldnt do) SF lack a return weapon, this is for mine haynes best pathway into the nfl,
IF hayne actually does alright he could see himself in talks for the running back position as a change of pace or package type player.

Although to be completely fair i find it very hard to see how he will make the 53 man roster, every player is valuable and you can't really be wasting a roster spot on a 28 year old who has never played the game before and MIGHT do okay returning some kicks.

Wouldnt be suprised to see him return hat in hand earlier then september (when the final cuts will take place), but boy if he actually succeded it would get the NFL interest in australia Kick started.

While on that topic i wonder if down the line someone in the nrl might try and entice a NFL player to come over and give it a crack would really help in our global conquest even if he turns into shyte (Pretty much what the 49er's will be getting out of hayne)

ragzouken

Juniors
Saw Hayne wearing a SF Cap on the news.:lol:

Someone should have told him that routine is only reserved for those that make the roster cut and for those that are drafted into a organization.

I have to be perfectly honest here and state he was in comparison to the young blokes fresh out of college,much slower and very uncoordinated.

Unless he picks up on his pace off the mark,he will not make it past the next cut in August.

His workout's made him truely look out of his depth.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
if hayne came back before the end of the year, the only place he can go is parra because the rd 13 registration deadline would have passed.

nick87

Coach
probably the smartest place for hayne to go (aside from the guarantee of 100k something detroit wouldnt do) SF lack a return weapon, this is for mine haynes best pathway into the nfl,
IF hayne actually does alright he could see himself in talks for the running back position as a change of pace or package type player.

Although to be completely fair i find it very hard to see how he will make the 53 man roster, every player is valuable and you can't really be wasting a roster spot on a 28 year old who has never played the game before and MIGHT do okay returning some kicks.

Wouldnt be suprised to see him return hat in hand earlier then september (when the final cuts will take place), but boy if he actually succeded it would get the NFL interest in australia Kick started.

While on that topic i wonder if down the line someone in the nrl might try and entice a NFL player to come over and give it a crack would really help in our global conquest even if he turns into shyte (Pretty much what the 49er's will be getting out of hayne)

Agreed on the team. It helps Hayne that Frank Gore is a Free Agent who might not be back, so the Niners really only have 2 rostered backs right now. Now they could sign one in FA or draft one or even two but there is a spot there for a 3rd RB and having return ability helps him. But you're right, he's going to need to prove he can be a positional player, because even guys like Josh Cribbs and Devin Hester who are two of the greatest returners of all time struggle holding spots on return ability alone

As for the last paragraph, ive long been a proponent of at least trying this out, it would be very tough for them to go from explosive 10-15 second athletes to cardio, and pick up the intricacies of our game, and id give them not better shot at doing it than i give Hayne, but for the same reasons that it's worth a gamble for a team to take on Hayne and see what happens, it's worth a gamble to take some of these athletic lottery winners who wind up stacking shelves in the states, and plugging them into our game and seeing if it sticks.

Agreed. He looked TERRIBLE in those drills.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
if hayne came back before the end of the year, the only place he can go is parra because the rd 13 registration deadline would have passed.

If NFL doesn't pan out, it will be Overseas Rugby Next.

As for those that can judge talent on a 30 second you tube clip, you should go into professional scouting as this is a 1 in a Million skill.

Danish

Referee
Plenty of bumpable posts today for later in the year when Hayne makes the cut, keep em coming fellas :lol:

I especially love the armchair experts able to see that Hayne apparently is completely out of his depth and terrible based on a couple mins of watching him run drills. Strange that professional NFL franchises who were present during those drills got he exact opposite impression of him, to the point that several were offering deals. Including one club willing to offer a guaranteed salary during the pre-season.... Something we were assured by those same LU experts NEVER happens, meaning they obviously see Hayne as a very rare talent compared to the other squad guys they have on the books.

Latest posts