What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne threatens to quit NRL

STG-Dragon

Juniors
What a dick! See ya Hayne don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! The bloke is overrated anyway!

raider_mike

Juniors
one would like to think perhaps he should show some form to justify what he's earning now (500k+) ? before shooting off at the mouth about wanting more

Garts

Bench
one would like to think perhaps he should show some form to justify what he's earning now (500k+) ? before shooting off at the mouth about wanting more

Dont need to justify it if someone is willing to pay you that much.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I think yellow boots needs to attend a media class before opening his mouth again.

I realise public speaking can be daunting for some (which is why he needs some lessons), but if so can we at least interview a player who can string a coherent sentence together?

hutch

First Grade
How many players do we loose, very few, how may many future stars come through every year - See Canberra as a prime example.

doesnt matter how many 'stars' we have coming through, we should be able to afford to keep all our best players in the game! these players are not as easy to replace as everyone keeps saying, and we should be in a position of power where the best players in the world get paid accordingly for playing in the biggest domestic 'rugby' comp in the world!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.backpagelead.com.au/league/1171-defectors-youre-making-a-big-mistake

Defectors, you're making a big mistake

Steve Mascord

Written on Friday, 07 May 2010 10:27

Jarryd Hayne says David Gallop doesn’t care if he stays in rugby league. Jarryd, neither do I.

I suppose we should have seen the writing on the wall nine days ago when my colleague at Rugby League Week, Matt Logue, wrote a yarn quoting Benji Marshall, Brett Kimmorley, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and others discussing all the NRL’s ills.

The Storm salary cap scandal – they cheated, they got caught - was always going to give a free kick to everyone with a gripe about the way the game is run. Not of the football. Of Gallop’s gonads.

And so on Friday we have the unedifying spectacle of the morning dawning on a new representative season and all we have on the front of the Daily Telegraph is a write-off (that's newspaper talk for a short summation of a story) about how 70 per cent of fans think league players are greedy.

The NRL put out a media release the other day pointing out that rugby league gives 24 per cent of its total revenue to its players, compared to 19 per cent in the AFL.

League just has less total revenue.

Now the reason for this are well known. Rugby league does not get enough for its television rights. News Limited’s conflict of interest probably has something to do with this – although the free-to-air rights are much further below their perceived value than the pay TV deal which sees News effectively negotiating with itself.

But guys, News Limited is getting out of rugby league! There is an independent commission coming, with a handover date in November! The television rights deal is up soon! Weekends off for rep games, a shorter season, bigger club grants – all round the corner! Why are you bleating now?

The only reason is because in a crisis, people become emboldened to say things they would not even dream of uttering otherwise. It’s like the chaos provides them with cover, excludes them from recriminations. Or maybe a more apt comparison is looting during a natural disaster.

I was really concerned about the future of rugby league when Sonny Bill Williams snuck off. Equally mortified when we lost Mark Gasnier.

But you know what? The NRL didn’t just fail to feel the hit. It prospered. Lote Tuquri and Wendell Sailor and Mat Rogers came back.

And now we stand on the edge of a new era and a bunch of – not greedy but cynically opportunistic – people want to bluff us into laying waste a salary cap that gave us eight premiers in 12 years without the help of a draft.

It's a cheap populist trick to criticise movie stars, politicians and athletes in the tabloid press by appealing to the jealousies of readers who earn less. That's not the point - capitalism is about supply and demand and there is more demand for Hayne than there is for a boilermaker at Willey Park.

It's a fact of life.

But Jarryd misses the point, too - because quite frankly there is not as much demand for him as he thinks there is.

I hope criticism over a correct decision does not bludgeon NRL management into making a wrong one. No changes made to the cap in the months ahead should in any way affect the balance of power between the clubs.

In the meantime, I really don’t care if half the Australian team taking the field Friday night ends up playing AFL, rugby union, bocce or Bhutan Tiddly Winks Super League in the near future.

Off you go.

As a game, if we hold our nerve during this period, we’ll have something they’ll regret leaving for the rest of their lives.

TheRam

Coach
Defectors, you're making a big mistake

Steve Mascord

Written on Friday, 07 May 2010 10:27

Jarryd Hayne says David Gallop doesn’t care if he stays in rugby league. Jarryd, neither do I.

I suppose we should have seen the writing on the wall nine days ago when my colleague at Rugby League Week, Matt Logue, wrote a yarn quoting Benji Marshall, Brett Kimmorley, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and others discussing all the NRL’s ills.

The Storm salary cap scandal – they cheated, they got caught - was always going to give a free kick to everyone with a gripe about the way the game is run. Not of the football. Of Gallop’s gonads.

And so on Friday we have the unedifying spectacle of the morning dawning on a new representative season and all we have on the front of the Daily Telegraph is a write-off (that's newspaper talk for a short summation of a story) about how 70 per cent of fans think league players are greedy.

The NRL put out a media release the other day pointing out that rugby league gives 24 per cent of its total revenue to its players, compared to 19 per cent in the AFL.

League just has less total revenue.

Now the reason for this are well known. Rugby league does not get enough for its television rights. News Limited’s conflict of interest probably has something to do with this – although the free-to-air rights are much further below their perceived value than the pay TV deal which sees News effectively negotiating with itself.

But guys, News Limited is getting out of rugby league! There is an independent commission coming, with a handover date in November! The television rights deal is up soon! Weekends off for rep games, a shorter season, bigger club grants – all round the corner! Why are you bleating now?

The only reason is because in a crisis, people become emboldened to say things they would not even dream of uttering otherwise. It’s like the chaos provides them with cover, excludes them from recriminations. Or maybe a more apt comparison is looting during a natural disaster.

I was really concerned about the future of rugby league when Sonny Bill Williams snuck off. Equally mortified when we lost Mark Gasnier.

But you know what? The NRL didn’t just fail to feel the hit. It prospered. Lote Tuquri and Wendell Sailor and Mat Rogers came back.

And now we stand on the edge of a new era and a bunch of – not greedy but cynically opportunistic – people want to bluff us into laying waste a salary cap that gave us eight premiers in 12 years without the help of a draft.

It's a cheap populist trick to criticise movie stars, politicians and athletes in the tabloid press by appealing to the jealousies of readers who earn less. That's not the point - capitalism is about supply and demand and there is more demand for Hayne than there is for a boilermaker at Willey Park.

It's a fact of life.

But Jarryd misses the point, too - because quite frankly there is not as much demand for him as he thinks there is.

I hope criticism over a correct decision does not bludgeon NRL management into making a wrong one. No changes made to the cap in the months ahead should in any way affect the balance of power between the clubs.

In the meantime, I really don’t care if half the Australian team taking the field Friday night ends up playing AFL, rugby union, bocce or Bhutan Tiddly Winks Super League in the near future.

Off you go.

As a game, if we hold our nerve during this period, we’ll have something they’ll regret leaving for the rest of their lives. http://www.backpagelead.com.au/league/1171-defectors-youre-making-a-big-mistake

I don't think that anyone could write any worse sh*t dribble even if they went and did a university faeces on it.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Hayne shouldn't even bother turning up to play for Australia anymore,they simply refuse to get him involved with any type of backline move and simply refuse to pass him the ball in general

Tim Sheens + Jealous players = Hopeless Australian team

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Next time a test match is on Hayne should stay at home and have a few beers,just don't bother turning up to play for this loser team,they won't pass you the ball champ.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
After seeing Haynes piss poor performance tonight in the test, let him go. Most overrated player and nowhere near deserving of the praise he gets.

Billythekid

First Grade
Next time a test match is on Hayne should stay at home and have a few beers,just don't bother turning up to play for this loser team,they won't pass you the ball champ.

They were to busy going to the far superior winger. Why go to Lyon and Hayne when you can go to Inglis and Morris.

Someone

Bench
After seeing Haynes piss poor performance tonight in the test, let him go. Most overrated player and nowhere near deserving of the praise he gets.

Im shocked that this came from a Queenslander. You blokes are meant to be the ones that stick by their players, but your suggesting from one poor appearance in a test match 'we' should let him go.

Need i bring up the fact he leads the metres gained in the NRL? Yes the media tends to over rate him, but they do that with alot of players. Fact is, i would rather no other fullback in the game.

Latest posts