What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne to Titans!!!

Bench
He was a flop in the NFL and wasn't fit enough for the olympics, he is a good athlete but not a great athlete

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Haha always makes me laugh when people suggest Hayne was a failure in the NFL. You have to look at the thousands of incredible athletes in the NFL system who never even get to play 1 game to appreciate how truly remarkable Hayne's achievement was.

Suggesting he was a flop merely highlights the magnitude of your ignorance.

Old Timer

Coach
Haha always makes me laugh when people suggest Hayne was a failure in the NFL. You have to look at the thousands of incredible athletes in the NFL system who never even get to play 1 game to appreciate how truly remarkable Hayne's achievement was.

A couple of games does not signify his ability or lack of either way.
To suggest that he got there is a measure of success is also a bit flawed IMO as all the hype about him was great for the club a bit like Manfred Moore now he according to you he also "made it".
The world is full of anomalies of how people get where they get after all Trump could be a President and Sarah Pallin would have bean a heart beat away from the Presidency if Mc Cain had of won.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
A couple of games does not signify his ability or lack of either way.
To suggest that he got there is a measure of success is also a bit flawed IMO as all the hype about him was great for the club a bit like Manfred Moore now he according to you he also "made it".
The world is full of anomalies of how people get where they get after all Trump could be a President and Sarah Pallin would have bean a heart beat away from the Presidency if Mc Cain had of won.

And you could be the nobody writing your opinion about it all on the internet somewhere. I guess success is relative.

Old Timer

Coach
And you could be the nobody writing your opinion about it all on the internet somewhere. I guess success is relative.
BTN
We are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions and where polite interchange takes place even argue the point.
Hayne no doubt is a very talented NRL player but IMO is no superstar at multi disciplines.
If he had of stayed and proved his worth in Gridiron I would have applauded him but he IMO proved nothing other than he made a squad, played in a few games and never stayed around to allow people to make a true assessment of it all.
He then topped it off by the farcical plan to play for Fiji and then went away from that and came back to the NRL where he will again prove his worth.

The Doc

Juniors
So if he chases his dreams he is a bad person?
Hahaha some funny people on here!!
So if you guys work as, lets say an electrician. Then you realise you want to expand your horizon and try ur hand at plumbing.
Are you a flop and a failure because u gave plumbing a try?
The guy is an athlete.... the NFL players get millions and millions...
He tried his hand, he didnt set the world on fire but give the guy a break, he had the balls to get out there and try it!!!
Mundine walked out on league and boxed, he wasnt the best boxer, but he had the balls to do it!!!
Maybe all this hate stems from some of you not being happy with ur current employment situation and hating urselfs for not having the balls to do something about it!!!!
I say good on Hayne for giving it a try...

The Doc

Juniors
BTN
We are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions and where polite interchange takes place even argue the point.
Hayne no doubt is a very talented NRL player but IMO is no superstar at multi disciplines.
If he had of stayed and proved his worth in Gridiron I would have applauded him but he IMO proved nothing other than he made a squad, played in a few games and never stayed around to allow people to make a true assessment of it all.
He then topped it off by the farcical plan to play for Fiji and then went away from that and came back to the NRL where he will again prove his worth.
Old timer, he didnt succeed, but at least he tried.
A few NRL players in the past have mentioned trying NFL, but non had the balls to walk away from the comfort zone.
Hayne did... he went there with no gaurentee of anything.
That in itself is worth a pat on the back imo.

Old Timer

Coach
Old timer, he didnt succeed, but at least he tried.
A few NRL players in the past have mentioned trying NFL, but non had the balls to walk away from the comfort zone.
Hayne did... he went there with no gaurentee of anything.
That in itself is worth a pat on the back imo.
Agree Doc but one cannot draw the conclusion he "succeeded" other than he played a few games.
I was of the belief "he wanted to make it" in the NFL and that signifies something totally different as far as an outcome is concerned.

The Doc

Juniors
Agree Doc but one cannot draw the conclusion he "succeeded" other than he played a few games.
I was of the belief "he wanted to make it" in the NFL and that signifies something totally different as far as an outcome is concerned.
He definetely did not succeed in becoming an elite NFL player...
But... he definetely did succeed in becoming an NFL player....
Glass half empty / half full scenario.
Millions upon millions of kids never get to the level Hayne did.
And these are kids that play american football there entire lives.
Hayne actually played NFL.
That in itself is something as far as im concerned.

Sigurd

Juniors
lol resent his success seriously pull your head in.

The guy is like a f**king soap opera I had this dream i had that dream and in the end his dream is just a load of shit.

He will suit the gold coast they have managed to do sfa for years and when he gets the another i dream of in his head he will walk out on them to.
Are you ok? Is it his fault the media follows him around? In your eyes would he be more reasonable if he was more Darius Boyd-like (hopelessly unapproachable to the media)?
hayne didn`t forgo the chance to play in Rio, he wasn`t good enough to make the Fijian team.thats why he returned to the nrl..he is only in the nrl til he has another dream then he will leave his team high and dry.

Well yes but I wouldn't say "not good enough", I'd say not fit enough after a stint in the NFL where he only went on for a few minutes at a time over the course of a few hours. To be honest this is what a Kiwi guy working as a trainer for a Rugby Union team told me.
Hayne is the complete narcissist and has no regard for whom he lets down in his quest.
People can say he is an upgrade and bad luck to good old no 25 on the roster however most would sing a very different tune if they were actually no 25 and you were this close to semi final football.
Same happened IMO with Klim, Hackett, Thorpe, Huegill who left the sport of swimming and on that basis kids who may not have necessarily made it decided to stay on and maybe turned down careers or other opportunities to be pushed aside by the return of the former star.
IMO life should have some procedural fairness and reward for the ones who stayed rather than casting them aside for opportunistic gain.
Some much for his strong Fijian link, Hayne will now be playing NRL whilst his former brothers reach for gold he could have easily forgone this season and stayed on with them in Rio.
I would have kept Benji before I took this wanker and for me say that is really saying something.

Some of your comments, like this and your constant sniping of JDB on another thread is really strange. You seem to have a personal dislike for several RL players. If you were talking about grubs like Hodges and Ennis I could understand it but guys like Hayne and JDB are pretty much the direct opposite of that.

Sigurd

Juniors
He definetely did not succeed in becoming an elite NFL player...
But... he definetely did succeed in becoming an NFL player....
Glass half empty / half full scenario.
Millions upon millions of kids never get to the level Hayne did.
And these are kids that play american football there entire lives.
Hayne actually played NFL.
That in itself is something as far as im concerned.

I think the idea is that if one makes it as far as he did in the NFL, that would make him "elite" and his personal sponsorship and having hot celebrity chics taking selfies with him and uploading them seem to suggest this.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
BTN

This is the issue. You play it down like anybody can just wander over to an NFL club, sign up and get the opportunity to play a handful of games. You clearly have no appreciation how hard it is to even get drafted into an NFL squad.

Let me break it down for you. In the US there are over 1,000,000 people playing football in the High School system alone. That is over double the total participation numbers of Rugby League across all levels in Australia.

Of that million, only 6.7% (around 70,000) make it into a College football side.

Of that 70,000 only approx 16,000 become draft eligible.

Of that 16,000 only around 250 are drafted. 1.6% of total College footballers.

Over 15,000 footballers who have been in the system since High School and who have made D1 NCAA college football sides culled.

Then along comes a guy from Cambpelltown, NSW with zero background in one of the most technical sports in the world, who literally learnt the rules of the game by playing Madden on PS4 and bypasses all of them to get drafted into a squad without ever having played a single game in his life (on a 6 figure contract, I might add).

Statistically what he achieved was damn near impossible.

Sure he's no Randy Moss, but Randy Moss is no Jarryd Hayne either.

Personally I'm in awe of what the man has been able to achieve in such a short span and I think he's a great role model to any kid who has a dream no matter how big.

Sigurd

Juniors
This is the issue. You play it down like anybody can just wander over to an NFL club, sign up and get the opportunity to play a handful of games. You clearly have no appreciation how hard it is to even get drafted into an NFL squad.

Let me break it down for you. In the US there are over 1,000,000 people playing football in the High School system alone. That is over double the total participation numbers of Rugby League across all levels in Australia.

Of that million, only 6.7% (around 70,000) make it into a College football side.

Of that 70,000 only approx 16,000 become draft eligible.

Of that 16,000 only around 250 are drafted. 1.6% of total College footballers.

Over 15,000 footballers who have been in the system since High School and who have made D1 NCAA college football sides culled.

Then along comes a guy from Cambpelltown, NSW with zero background in one of the most technical sports in the world, who literally learnt the rules of the game by playing Madden on PS4 and bypasses all of them to get drafted into a squad without ever having played a single game in his life (on a 6 figure contract, I might add).

Statistically what he achieved was damn near impossible.

Sure he's no Randy Moss, but Randy Moss is no Jarryd Hayne either.

Personally I'm in awe of what the man has been able to achieve in such a short span and I think he's a great role model to any kid who has a dream no matter how big.

When you break it down that, it comes across as even more remarkable to me. Would have been a great pick-up for the Dragons but of course the Dragons already have a good No.1. What they really need is a 6, 7 and 9.

Old Timer

Coach
Guys this is really quite simple from my perspective and thanks for all the stats, more stats etc etc.
Hayne had a contract in NRL and said he wanted his chance at NFL and an agreement was struck between him and the Eels.
He left went to the NFL his personal situation improved with all the hype about him, T shirts, hats media cycle etc etc. He made a squad and then progressed to play some games and then unexpectedly left and said he was no going to play rugby 7's.
Now the NFL team made an investment in him for several good reasons, he is a good athletic build, he did succeed in another code, he did have passion and desire so not surprising they give him a go and the upside for the NFL club is if it does work the Australian NRL could become a happy hunting ground for the NFL and one would also conclude maybe get some players at a lot less $$$$ than they pay at home.
So in fact only upside for the NFL if they go along with the experiment and I see it as little more than that on their part.
Is Hayne on a big NFL contract, was he chased by other teams at top $$$$ unheard of in the NRL, is he living his dream playing the game living in America?
So did he play some NFL games yes he did, as to how much it suited the NFL team to go along with it, as against he forced his way in on performance alone is another matter.
Is he talented yes, is he great at anything else other than NRL ?????? did he play a few other things at a high level yes, does that automatically mean he succeeded, for mine NO but if he had longevity at it then I would be the first to congratulate him.
Paul Broughton went to the states long before all the so called coaching gurus and he brought back several large gridiron forwards to see if they could adapt.
They sat in the Balmain first grade shed and looked at the flimsy sponge they put in the inside pockets of their shorts and the light leather shoulder pads used in the game and they thought "these guys are f**king crazy playing this game without helmets and all the protection of the NFL".
These guys managed to play a few first grade games which much like Hayne was a look and see and they couldn't get back to America quick enough.
Are we to conclude that they succeeded at NRL or was it an experiment that had to be done to find out if it would work long term which for me in sport is somewhat the measure I judge by.
Did Hayne leave the Eels as well as the NFL and his Fijian brothers who meant so much to him in the lurch I'll leave that for you to judge yourself as I have already made my thoughts quite clear on that.

since77

Juniors
No doubt Hayne is a great athlete and he's entitled to try whatever he wants - but the stats on those who get to play in the NFL are irrelevant as he didn't start from the same place as all the kids in the US. He got his foot in the door - or more correctly worded - a huge / leapfrog head start over all those hopefuls - only because he had a pedigree in another elite sport.
But lets be real and have some perspective - he was as successful an NFL player as Richie Williams was a league player. Neither will be ever remembered in either sport except as a novelty.
Unlike Williams, Hayne was lucky enough to have something to fall back on.

Bench

I was living in the states until last year, according to all the press and commentators he was a flop, couldn't catch a ball and couldn't handle the play books, as always the Australian press will make him out to be a superstar, if his skills had matched his ego he would have made it in the NRL. end of story

monsterkev

Juniors
we wont get any quality players to come to the dragons until after the 2017 season when the current arrangement with the nrl expires or if gordon buys dragons then we can start offering tpa's
if you want to blame someone for not getting class players look no further than the nrl they set these guidlines
as part of the money given to dragons