What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hazem El Masri's turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

wests1

Juniors
Far out. Seriously?
On another note, while I know the popular perception about subservience of Muslim women and barbaric state led laws in certain nations, are there many cases surfacing of a higher proportion of domestic violence amongst muslim homes than the mainstream population. I thinks it's way too easy to say 'no surprise, he's muslim' when in fact there's been countless crimes committed on this front by all sorts of people.

Perth Red

Post Whore
another day, another good news story for the NRL. At least Dave has done the honourable thing by trying to create a diversion in today news. Triple J still led with Hazem though.

ek999

First Grade
100%

even if the media do get wind of it, there's no guarantee they'll report it... some of these merkins are protected by by their chums in the media industry...

No, they are protected by libel laws. Journo's can't just go saying things because they heard a rumour, they need some pretty rock solid proof or they will be sued for everything they have.

The allegations against Barba were hinted at for months before they were published in September 2013 Jess Halloran wrote this story http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...omestic-violence/story-fni0cwl5-1226641969294 in May 2013 but they couldn't go public until they got the text messages from her friend http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hed-by-ben-barba/story-fni3fbgz-1226709258918

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bulldogs statement

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle has made the following comment following domestic assault charges being laid against Hazem El Masri last night:

"As a Club we are committed to our work with White Ribbon Australia to eliminate violence against women and firmly believe there is no place for it in our society.

"Counselling and support services have been offered to all those involved in this matter.

"As with any Police charge, Hazem will work through the process of the Australian legal system and his engagement as a Bulldogs Ambassador is suspended until those proceedings are complete."

Read more at http://leagueunlimited.com/news/27067-bulldogs-statement-hazem-el-masri/#is7D6t0FLESYjwde.99

Naaawww.

Saw that the last post was from Timmah and I clicked in eager anticipation of some sort of sermon.

Only to be met with an official club statement.

So disappointed...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Naaawww.

Saw that the last post was from Timmah and I clicked in eager anticipation of some sort of sermon.

Only to be met with an official club statement.

So disappointed...

Sorry to disappoint.

Simple really, if he's found guilty lock him up like the rest should have been. Most of all, sad for the alleged victim, also sad for the persona we believed the guy to be.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I remember attending the first Bulldogs' home game at the Showground in 2001 (vs Newcastle) and sitting directly in front of his (first) wife and Hazem sitting and talking next to her for a short-time about 30mins before kickoff, and my dad and I had a short talk with them. Sitting near the Bulldogs fan section that day (due to ticket allocation stuff-up by ground management), Hazem and her were probably the only people in that part of the ground that day who were nice towards us compared to the constant abuse and threats us and the other Knights supporters in our row were subjected to during the game.
Given El Masri was always portrayed in the media as one of League's good guys during his playing career (I admit he was one of my favourite non-Knights players), this incident will significantly dent that reputation if he is convicted of the charges laid against him.

In all seriousness, what is it with all these domestic violence charges over the past 12 months or so in league? You'd think with all the domestic violence awareness (which, IMO has taken far too long to eventuate in the media as when I first started fundraising for DV victims back in 2006, nothing was mentioned about it in the media) players would be put on guard. Within a very short period of time, El Masri, Wesser, Lodge, Kenny-Dowall (trial still yet to go to court), several players from Souffs.....
The NRL definitely needs to take a tougher stance against anyone associated with the game who either pleads guilty or is found guilty in court for these charges. Players such as Auva'a should've never been allowed back in the NRL.

Bloody hell, you are a fair bit gentler on the prophet than Lodge.

I think I now know why? Allah, bro.:lol:

beave

Coach
Was listening to Ben Fordham this arvo and he wouldn't spit out what he knows but he was implying there's more to this story than what it seems and that he (Hazem)will get his side of the story out there soon enough. I really got the feeling he wanted to say more to defend Hazem but couldn't. I really hope it isn't true, he seemed like one of the good ones.

Wizardman

First Grade
Was listening to Ben Fordham this arvo and he wouldn't spit out what he knows but he was implying there's more to this story than what it seems and that he (Hazem)will get his side of the story out there soon enough. I really got the feeling he wanted to say more to defend Hazem but couldn't. I really hope it isn't true, he seemed like one of the good ones.

I heard pretty much the same thing on Brisbane radio. Im going to reserve judgement on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.