What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heighington wants to wear blue

N.C.

Juniors
Here's a nice distraction from Fifita's 12 year deal with the Bulldogs*...

CHRIS Heighington will not use his British passport to play for England in the Four Nations, saying his ultimate dream is represent Australia and NSW.

October 23rd marks the beginning of rugby league’s Four Nations tournament with England and New Zealand kicking proceedings off over the Tasman at Westpac Stadium.
One noticeable absentee from the English line up will be lock Heighington who was reportedly going to play for England after he narrowly missed out on Origin selection this year.
However the lure of the prestigious Blues jersey is too hard to refuse - it sits atop the 27-year-old's to do list.
“I’m leaving my allegiances to Australia, my ultimate dream is to represent Australia and NSW and I don’t want to jeopardise that,” he exclusively told nospam23.com.au.
With selectors overlooking the experienced 2005 premiership winner, the 27-year-old was looking to speak with England coach Steve McNamara ahead of the Four Nations.
It is understood McNamara was enthusiastic about having Heighington in the red and white, but the team chose instead to stick with English-born players.
Heighington believes it was a sensible decision to stay aligned with the country of his birth.
“My dad’s from there and came over at 25, I still have a lot of family who live over there but I’ve only been back a couple of times,” he said.
“It wouldn’t be fair.
“Origin is the pinnacle of rugby league and it has always been a dream of mine to wear the sky blue jersey."
Heighington featured heavily in the Wests Tigers finals campaign, making it to the preliminary final, one game short of a second grand final appearance.
In the meantime the goals of the 2008 and '09 Prime Ministers' XIII representative are simple.
“My goal now is to play well for the Tigers and take it a step further next year," Heighington said.
"If my game stays consistent hopefully an origin jersey will follow."

http://www.nospam23.com.au/articles/2010/10/14/heighington-can-t-resist-lure-of-blues/
*Unconfirmed

Last edited:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
He was linked to a 12 year deal so that's the same as signed, sheesh!

As for Hino, I think it was probably a bit of a pipe dream of playing for the poms, they've got a lot of good forwards so he'd be in a similar situation. Based on the sh*t that's been playing for NSW for the last 5 years, he certainly deserves a shot off the bench.

innsaneink

Referee
The more heighno speaks in the press about repping for whoever , the worse he looks.
His footy should do the talkin...thats all

simmo1

First Grade
The more heighno speaks in the press about repping for whoever , the worse he looks.
His footy should do the talkin...thats all

100% agree. He wouldn't really be anywhere near the frame for Australian (and maybe even Pommy) selection, so I don't know why he comes out with this ahead of the 4N.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If heighno wants to play rep Footy he needs to put good seasons back to back. He had a great season in 08 then backed it up with a shocker in 09. I thought this year was his best yet but it will mean little unless he does it again next year.

Talanexor

Juniors
That hasn't stopped the likes of Ben Creagh, Beau Scott, Michael Ennis, Steve Turner, James McManus, David Williams, Brent Kite, Josh Perry etc. etc.

That's right, utter mediocrity is almost a pre-requisite for NSW Origin selection. 5 and counting baby!

Heighington is a good player, but he's just unlucky that there are so many good - better than him - second rowers running around at the moment.

There are probably 10-12 classy backrowers competing for only 4 spots in the Origin team.

Magpies_74

Juniors
That's right, utter mediocrity is almost a pre-requisite for NSW Origin selection. 5 and counting baby!

Heighington is a good player, but he's just unlucky that there are so many good - better than him - second rowers running around at the moment.

There are probably 10-12 classy backrowers competing for only 4 spots in the Origin team.

Who?

Heighno is an Aussie. It's the off season. He was asked. He answered. He is doing it on the field. Good on him.

westie

Bench
That hasn't stopped the likes of Ben Creagh, Beau Scott, Michael Ennis, Steve Turner, James McManus, David Williams, Brent Kite, Josh Perry etc. etc.

Hopefully those selections get given the arse the same way the selectors finally seem to have been.

bjm8

Juniors
I find it funny that people treat newspaper articles as if the player rang up the paper and said "i think this .... can you print it for me please so everyone can know? cheers"

innsaneink

Referee
I find it funny that people treat newspaper articles as if the player rang up the paper and said "i think this .... can you print it for me please so everyone can know? cheers"
Who's doing that?

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets be serious here, Heighington would have more hope of getting an Aussie test jumper than a pommy one when you look at each sides respective packs.

If he was a back though, the Poms would have taken him in a heartbeat. Maybe he could lose some kilos, increase his speed and have a crack at being a centre.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
story is a load of bs.

Heighno put his hand up for england.
English coaching staff were up for the idea but put it to the leading players who voted against it lol.

So he got bounced and all of a sudden he wants to play for NSW over england.

He should have never cheapened the english jersey by talking about how if he doesnt get picked for NSW he will play for england blah blah blah.
Just worry about playing for tigers mate.

You might get a country jersey. maybe.

Lets be serious here, Heighington would have more hope of getting an Aussie test jumper than a pommy one when you look at each sides respective packs.

If he was a back though, the Poms would have taken him in a heartbeat. Maybe he could lose some kilos, increase his speed and have a crack at being a centre.
Lets be serious here,what a ridiculous suggestion.

macnaz

Staff member
Im watching NZ v England and i can tell you all here that Heighno would 100% walk straight into their side if he was to be available or wanted..... They are f**king rubbish, they dont look much better than the USA patriots lol. So far Eliis is their best player, and Sam Burgess is MIA..

Last edited:

westie

Bench
Im watching NZ v England and i can tell you all here that Heighno would 100% walk straight into their side if he was to be available or wanted..... They are f**king rubbish, they dont look much better than the USA patriots lol. So far Eliis is their best player, and Sam Burgess is MIA..

Who or what are the USA patriots?

Which second rower was he better than?

He's certainly no better than Ellis, Burgess, Westwood, O'Loughlin and Tomkins got no time. Add in Peacock, Morley, Sinfield et al and he's no where near the side, especially considering the blokes they left at home.

While he may get a run in the outside backs or at 6, he's not fit to lace the boots of the English second row.