What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry: Backline spots 'up for grabs'

Edwahu

Bench
I guess the point is you couldnt really leave Zillman out on defensive grounds unless there is someone decent defensively to replace him. Maybe size would be a problem with he, Goodwin and Graham all been under 90kg.

thickos

First Grade
Yeah good point Ed. It's not as if there were any fantastic defensive centres on the market.

I have no dramas with their ability, but their inexperience in FG early next season might lead to them being labelled 'poor defenders' because they're still learning about FG. Gotta give all these kids time.

Bay56

First Grade
thickos said:
Zillman is not as small as he is made out to be.

at 183cm and 86kg he'd have to be considered a touch on the smallish side for and out-n-out centre

Carney btw is 186cm and 93kg

some other notable centres ...

Gasnier .. 192cm, 100kg
Cooper .. 188cm, 92kg
Best .. 189cm, 93kg
Ryan Cross .. 192cm, 95kg
Tahu .. 185cm, 98kg
Matt Gidley .. 185cm, 94kg
King .. 190cm, 100kg
Vagana .. 180cm, 87kg ***
Tonga .. 183cm, 95kg
Tate .. 186cm, 89kg

lotm

Juniors
to be honest, i think carney's running game will be most effective around the ruck, rather than out wide. the speed and agility of the better outside backs in the comp will have him struggling to break the line consistently, imo. in that sense, it's a position better suited to zillman.

i like the fact that henry seems to be thinking outside the box somewhat. i just hope he doesn't f**k around too much after the first few rounds.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Jed, perhaps Ed was referring to the way the two of them would combine as a defensive unit. If so, I would have to agree with him somewhat.

thickos

First Grade
Bay56 said:
at 183cm and 86kg he'd have to be considered a touch on the smallish side for and out-n-out centre

Carney btw is 186cm and 93kg

some other notable centres ...

Gasnier .. 192cm, 100kg
Cooper .. 188cm, 92kg
Best .. 189cm, 93kg
Ryan Cross .. 192cm, 95kg
Tahu .. 185cm, 98kg
Matt Gidley .. 185cm, 94kg
King .. 190cm, 100kg
Vagana .. 180cm, 87kg ***
Tonga .. 183cm, 95kg
Tate .. 186cm, 89kg

Height-wise, Zillman is fine. He may be a little light but you don't want to sacrifice speed either.

His stats are similar to Graham I believe.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
Re. Zillman in the centres I think Steve Folkes has set an interesting precedent by playing Ben Roberts there for the Dogs over the last couple of weeks. Two games, one of which was in terrential rain, is not really long enough to judge how successfull the move was, but it shows that there are other coaches in the league prepared to introduce young halves to FG wider in the backline. I haven't seen a lot of either player, to be honest, but Zillman and Roberts do have their similarities - neither are particularly big, but are agile ball runners with good skills. I initially dismissed the idea of ZIlly in the centres, but I now think it is certainly worth considering.

edabomb

First Grade
jed said:
Right, because you've seen how much of Zillman's game?

The way I see it there is next to no point on me posting round here if every tiem I do it's going to be considered useless as I don't watch reggies. If you're all happy to see the Hodges, Coopers and Gasniers of the world running at Zillman then he must a pretty awesome talent. Personally I'd be worried with any young talent coming through in the centres with the number of powerful runners there are in that position these days, given he hasn't played any JF or reggies in the centres.

Then again, I guess I should just nod and agree with the pack. Just like I should of when you all said Carney was set to dominate from day one in FG.

I'm out.

aussies1st

Staff member
Benji had the Gasiner, Coppers running at him when he started out in the centres. It wouldn't matter where you put him, one of the big guys would target him just like SBW was targeting Berrigan yesterday.

edabomb

First Grade
Now I've seen it all. Someone using Benji in the centres as a reason to play a similarly built half in the centres. GG.

I'll put my money down on 3 shoulder recons for Zilly.

Bay56

First Grade
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
The way I see it there is next to no point on me posting round here if every tiem I do it's going to be considered useless as I don't watch reggies. If you're all happy to see the Hodges, Coopers and Gasniers of the world running at Zillman then he must a pretty awesome talent. Personally I'd be worried with any young talent coming through in the centres with the number of powerful runners there are in that position these days, given he hasn't played any JF or reggies in the centres.

Then again, I guess I should just nod and agree with the pack. Just like I should of when you all said Carney was set to dominate from day one in FG.

I'm out.

cya .. :lol: :lol:

now, now ed .. come to your senses lad :D

I must admit I've concentrated more on Zilly's attacking abilities rather than defence.

His attack cant be criticised. If he has any deficencies in his defensive ablilities I'm sure that they can be addressed much like Carney in the second half of season 2006.

That said I'm still not sure if centre is his position. I dont want to see him at FB, that I'm sure about. But he has to be in the side somewhere, and for the full 80 mins if possible.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Now, for extra credit, everyone has to have Best and Graham down with hamstring problems.

What does your second string backline look like?

skeepe

Immortal
I think we've got the backs covered.

1. Goodwin/Chalk
2. Best/Purtell
3. Graham/Kelly
4. Frawley/Irwin/Grintell
5. Howell/Milne

Macko8

Juniors
skeepe said:
I think we've got the backs covered.

1. Goodwin/Chalk
2. Best/Purtell
3. Graham/Kelly
4. Frawley/Irwin/Grintell
5. Howell/Milne

Throw Junior Sau into the mix as well.
I think we'll have the depth in the backs next year too but if we lose a couple of the more experienced backs to injury or suspensions we could be in trouble.
But there only "what if's" i hope for our sake it dont happen.

Latest posts