What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy's 2024 Trials Super Thread

84 Baby

Referee
From what I saw today I didn't see any leader(s) who controlled the team. What I mean is that we let the game peter out rather than manage the overall 80 minutes. Discipline and Sivo are my concerns.
A) trial game so who cares about game management
B) we had a spine of Talagi, Asi, Hands & Lussick for almost a quarter of game
C) I thought Moses & Drown’s kicking games were top notch

Avenger

Immortal
Problem I see out of this game is Sivos defence and our middle defence especially on quick play the balls.

Sivo needs to trust his inside men and stay on the wing.
I just saw some highlights and Sivo is basically a sloth. I realise he got injured in the warm up but I suspect Matterson is a princess and we may cut him loose early. Hopgood is already a better player than him.

So happy on the progress Penisini and Russell have made. They should be huge for us this year. And I can’t get enough of Gutherson. Still my favourite player.

Noise

Coach
I just saw some highlights and Sivo is basically a sloth. I realise he got injured in the warm up but I suspect Matterson is a princess and we may cut him loose early. Hopgood is already a better player than him.

So happy on the progress Penisini and Russell have made. They should be huge for us this year. And I can’t get enough of Gutherson. Still my favourite player.
Yep, Matterson is about Matterson. If he doesn't want to play, he's not playing.

JokerEel

Coach

Dunster actually took better runs than Sivo today his defence is probably as bad
Penisini and Russel seem to have actually trained hard and worked on their weaknesses some other players it looks don't give a crap and happy to get a pay check.

I would assume the coaches told Matto not to play. But I agree Hopgood has passes him same with Carty.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yep, Matterson is about Matterson. If he doesn't want to play, he's not playing.
He is a strange character as I don't think he is genuinely close to anyone in the team.

He has his religous faith but watching him at games you rarely see him in the sheds or after the game mingling with team mates. He is always alone.

He looks and acts like an individual in a team game.

Avenger

Immortal
He is a strange character as I don't think he is genuinely close to anyone in the team.

He has his religous faith but watching him at games you rarely see him in the sheds or after the game mingling with team mates. He is always alone.

He does plenty for charity and is probably a genuinely nice person but I agree he is an oddball.

Soto

Bench
Maybe we are being a bit harsh on matto and Sivo. It's a trial and that's that. To win a comp we will need contributions from about 25 players. On most days matto is up there with the best. Just doesn't seem to show the hunger some others do. He is easily in our top 17.
Let's also not forget everyone is rusty at the moment and was extremely hot and humid in Ipswich...
If we play compressed then we need to learn to slide and slide quickly...our right side seemed to be the problem but has now switched to the left.
Let's hope between dylbro, lane/kelma, Simonsson/Harper and Sivo they are in sync and learn to work and trust each other...at times it does appear they are playing together for the first time...
Let's not peak too early 😉

Noise

Coach

Yep. That’s Matto to a tee!

JokerEel

Coach
Sivo absolutely terrible. Fans keep Boosting his ego with that stupid Sivo chant after a running in a try from 3m out. He is one of the laziest players. Today his his defensive reads were like a beacon to other teams doing their homework. We know which way they will run.

He isn't lazy he just has the turning circle of the Queen Mary ship..

The try they kick behind him should have been covered but he just took too long to react and move.

The first try he raced out when we had Brown and Simmonoson there.

That could be due to his actions in taking the three game suspension instead of a paltry $4,000 fine... making it clear to his squadmates that he's not truly a team or club person?

It does make a little vomit rise up my throat whenever I see him on those telegraph pole posters promoting the Eels season. He's 29yo now, and hasn't really gone any further with us than his 2018 Roosters premiership winning form... which is disappointing.

And apparently we've got him until end 2026, when he'll hit 32yo! Still in our top 17 at the moment though...

Sivo absolutely terrible. Fans keep Boosting his ego with that stupid Sivo chant after a running in a try from 3m out. He is one of the laziest players. Today his his defensive reads were like a beacon to other teams doing their homework. We know which way they will run.
And smart teams will anticipate him charging in, to also have the just kick over the top to chasers. Sivo won't be able to turn himself around quick enough to even see the try being scored.

yy_cheng

Coach
Surely if fit to play Matterson, Greig and Ofa are all in the top 18... comes down to whether BA decides to go with a bench hooker or not as to whether they get a run in the #17 in Round 1.

Yeah but i think kelma is also in the mix.

Like u said, if hands in then kelma also has a shot

I personally like kelma in the team and drop offa. He comes on for carty and carty can go in the middle or for lane when he gets tired which has happened

Kelma adds that really big body out wide like the manly guy, the souths guy or not as big but david faftfita

Gronk

Staff member
Whilst Sivo has his flaws, if he is our best scapegoat in 2024, we’re going to have a pretty good season.

The Colonel

Immortal
From what I saw today I didn't see any leader(s) who controlled the team. What I mean is that we let the game peter out rather than manage the overall 80 minutes. Discipline and Sivo are my concerns.

I think you missed the first forty minutes because that was where the game was controlled and managed. The second half was scrappy but where a lot more changes were made around resting players.

I actually thought that our right edge defence looked a lot more composed when Harper came on as opposed to Simonsson as he has as much tendency to rush in as does Sivo which IMO explains the issues. Harper stayed where he needed to be.

Hands and Lussick need to play IMO.

I liked what I saw from Dunster. He looks fit and has regained some speed.

Left side attack is the stuff dreams are made of.

I also liked Ogden starting and Paulo coming off the bench.

King-Gutho94

Coach
That could be due to his actions in taking the three game suspension instead of a paltry $4,000 fine... making it clear to his squadmates that he's not truly a team or club person?

It does make a little vomit rise up my throat whenever I see him on those telegraph pole posters promoting the Eels season. He's 29yo now, and hasn't really gone any further with us than his 2018 Roosters premiership winning form... which is disappointing.

And apparently we've got him until end 2026, when he'll hit 32yo! Still in our top 17 at the moment though...
It's always been the case with Matto even before he took the suspension from that GF since he arrived.

You watch us after a game or scoring a try most of the boys are joking around and embracing with each other. Matto is always generally alone by himself.