What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy's 2024 Trials Super Thread

Avenger

Immortal
What Sivo’s suspension underlines is the lack of depth and cover in the backline, again how that has been neglected for years is crazy. Titans, Warriors, Cowboys and feels like every other team has decent speedy wingers behind say their first choice, not sure what recruitment was thinking .sure we lost Miller-Stephen and R Penisini to injury, just poor .
Exactly. A couple of more injuries and we are gone.

Noise

Coach
Yeah, than I think you have preconceived notion based on last year. Sure, neither effort was good - bordering on being a bit lazy in the first - but neither were an indication of how fast or slow he is IMO. He carts the ball much better than Sivo, which isn't that hard and reads the defence a lot better.
I said he was slow. Which you argued. And then asked if I watched the trials. I just provided two times that demonstrated him looking slow in the trials.I never said anything about his defensive reads or work rate taking hitups . You are shifting the goalposts.Care to tell me when he showed good speed in the trials?

Angry_eel

First Grade
What Sivo’s suspension underlines is the lack of depth and cover in the backline, again how that has been neglected for years is crazy. Titans, Warriors, Cowboys and feels like every other team has decent speedy wingers behind say their first choice, not sure what recruitment was thinking .sure we lost Miller-Stephen and R Penisini to injury, just poor .
It's a bit odd we won't even consider young speedy guys. It must the 100% error free BA-Ball.

JokerEel

Coach
I watched both. He's slow as. eg. watch him turn and chase after the second kick at around the 1 minute mark and then again his chase around the 2:58min mark.

That second one you mentioned at 3 minutes he actually accelerated and got close then just gave up.

He turned better than Sivo in the first one though but that's pretty easy to do.

Noise

Coach
That second one you mentioned at 3 minutes he actually accelerated and got close then just gave up.

He turned better than Sivo in the first one though but that's pretty easy to do.
The first one he turned okay but then had no speed to chase the ball. The second one he got blown away after about 15metres (and he knew it too). To top off the lack of speed it appears he is also lazy.

JokerEel

Coach
The first one he turned okay but then had no speed to chase the ball. The second one he got blown away after about 15metres (and he knew it too). To top off the lack of speed it appears he is also lazy.

I don't think he got blown away he appeared from no where gained and then you see him pull up stumps. He probably has the acceleration over 10-15 but after that it.

Eelogical

Referee
I think you missed the first forty minutes because that was where the game was controlled and managed. The second half was scrappy but where a lot more changes were made around resting players.

I actually thought that our right edge defence looked a lot more composed when Harper came on as opposed to Simonsson as he has as much tendency to rush in as does Sivo which IMO explains the issues. Harper stayed where he needed to be.

Hands and Lussick need to play IMO.

I liked what I saw from Dunster. He looks fit and has regained some speed.

Left side attack is the stuff dreams are made of.

I also liked Ogden starting and Paulo coming off the bench.
I saw the first 40 as well and thought they were playing great. The half time break though (which is one of our Achilles heels) showed how we can let games slip or meander. Sure it was a trial, but what's the point of having one if the merkins aren't pressing their respective claims? At the end of the day it will come down to our own discipline and leadership over the 80 minutes that will determine were we're at. On top of that, our backline depth looks to be a continuation of the 'shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic' scenario. Looks like we've already racked up three weeks of suspension (Sivo) even before the season has kicked off. There's a lot to unpack.

Eelogical

Referee
A) trial game so who cares about game management
B) we had a spine of Talagi, Asi, Hands & Lussick for almost a quarter of game
C) I thought Moses & Drown’s kicking games were top notch
A). Could be part of the reason why we haven't won jack shit under BA
B). Shows how slippery the slide is when we have to call on our back ups.
C). No argument from me about Moses and Brown. My original comments were about how we tend to let games drift when we should be icing them. This is where we are lacking the most.

84 Baby

Referee
A). Could be part of the reason why we haven't won jack shit under BA
B). Shows how slippery the slide is when we have to call on our back ups.
C). No argument from me about Moses and Brown. My original comments were about how we tend to let games drift when we should be icing them. This is where we are lacking the most.
A) Why would you practicing game management in a trial where ideally you want to increase the active game time, not minimise it? No one else has done it either in their trials
B) Our backups not being as good at game management as our million dollar starters is neither news nor likely to occur. If our backups were good game managers, they wouldn’t be backups.
C) I think our game management from those 2 is good, even last year. But game management isn’t the magical panacea you seem to think it is. Rugby league is still a competitive sport, the best game manager could have the opposition retreating to have their winger field the ball a bees dick in from their corner post but all it takes is for a defender to get wrong footed and suddenly you have to start your own set from a poor position as well.

Yeah but i think kelma is also in the mix.

Like u said, if hands in then kelma also has a shot

I personally like kelma in the team and drop offa. He comes on for carty and carty can go in the middle or for lane when he gets tired which has happened

Kelma adds that really big body out wide like the manly guy, the souths guy or not as big but david faftfita
True, I'm also looking for more impact from the bench than Ofa - provided that our middle defence can hold.

RCG Matto Hopgood at 55mins each, with Paulo and Greig at 40mins and 35mins each should cover it. With Ofa first cab off the rank in there's an injury to a middle.

With Sivo now facing a 3 week ban with an early guilty plea, selection for round 1 will be interesting.

Seems a toss up between including Harper or Dunster in the backline in Sivo's place... pros and cons to both, hard to pick which BA will favour for the next three weeks. Or maybe he'll experiment with both, and Simonssen getting a rest week somewhere?

Eelogical

Referee
A) Why would you practicing game management in a trial where ideally you want to increase the active game time, not minimise it? No one else has done it either in their trials
B) Our backups not being as good at game management as our million dollar starters is neither news nor likely to occur. If our backups were good game managers, they wouldn’t be backups.
C) I think our game management from those 2 is good, even last year. But game management isn’t the magical panacea you seem to think it is. Rugby league is still a competitive sport, the best game manager could have the opposition retreating to have their winger field the ball a bees dick in from their corner post but all it takes is for a defender to get wrong footed and suddenly you have to start your own set from a poor position as well.
OK. No worries. Let’s complicate it. I see it as the little things that will improve us and I’m yet to see that thus far. Time will tell though, I’m sure you’ll point out my misconceptions as the season progresses.

84 Baby

Referee
OK. No worries. Let’s complicate it. I see it as the little things that will improve us and I’m yet to see that thus far. Time will tell though, I’m sure you’ll point out my misconceptions as the season progresses.
Yep just that little thing game management that I strongly suspect you have misconceived what that actually portrays practically.

TheCrowe

Juniors
I think Asi would be rated more highly if he lost the "Im so confused and not really sure whats going on" look on his face. :p

Latest posts