What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ho Hum II

Most Annoying Poster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Law? Dramatic much?

My opinion, not law, is that it looks entirely useless to have a mountain of articles (often on very similar topics) posted in separate threads, especially when very few (if any) actually generate any comment or discussion. As I said, 95% or more threads have 0 replies. The only time the post count on any of them passes 10 is when Dragons fans wander in to have a lol@souffs.

If you read my post I actually suggested a better way to generate discussion, which might be to have a handful of threads based on varying subject matters (e.g. Charity news, Player signing/re-signing news, corporate/sponsors, merchandise) then have articles posted in those threads.

But of course it's easier to read the username of the person who posted the reply and react accordingly than actually respond to the content of the post, which was intended as constructive criticism.

Law? Dramatic much?

My opinion, not law, is that it looks entirely useless to have a mountain of articles (often on very similar topics) posted in separate threads, especially when very few (if any) actually generate any comment or discussion. As I said, 95% or more threads have 0 replies. The only time the post count on any of them passes 10 is when Dragons fans wander in to have a lol@souffs.

If you read my post I actually suggested a better way to generate discussion, which might be to have a handful of threads based on varying subject matters (e.g. Charity news, Player signing/re-signing news, corporate/sponsors, merchandise) then have articles posted in those threads.

But of course it's easier to read the username of the person who posted the reply and react accordingly than actually respond to the content of the post, which was intended as constructive criticism.

I would rather 85,000 re-posted articles than 85,000 posts of whining about how this article should be posted here and that comment should be posted there any day of the week.

Afaic, Newc does us all a service here. I don't have to go trolling through the internet looking for whatever has been posted elsewhere about Souths, I only need come here and I can see almost every article from every reliable source in the one location. Considering that he obviously puts a lot of time and effort into this every day, for the benefit of others at no obvious pay off for himself, (in fact, most of the time he cops shit over it from these parts...)I'm not about to suggest that he change the way he does things. I'm simply happy that he does it.

I've mentioned before that LU is not the first choice forum site for Souths fans, its not even the second really. There are a number of Souths fan only sites that have a larger number of active posters who support South Sydney than this site does. This is not Newc's fault. If you look at some of those sites you will see that he does the same thing there and generally, most of these articles generate considerable discussion there. Anything that is done to generate interest here is a positive.

It's also not only about the posts, have a look at how many people are reading these threads... They are generally all opened somewhere near the 100 times mark so someone is out there reading them.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of encouraging the environment to a point where this section could be an alternative for Souths fans wanting genuine discussion. Do you make room for the possibility that people get turned off by the fact it's essentially an RSS feed? I know a HEAP of people who avoid certain Twitter accounts for that very reason.

I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of encouraging the environment to a point where this section could be an alternative for Souths fans wanting genuine discussion. Do you make room for the possibility that people get turned off by the fact it's essentially an RSS feed? I know a HEAP of people who avoid certain Twitter accounts for that very reason.

Strangely enough, Souths fans were amongst the first Rugby League fans to really hit the internet in a big way. The first forum started before we were kicked out of the competition and it became a vehicle for drumming up interest to our cause. Later, it became something that was used very effectively to drum up support for Crowe and Holmes a Court's takeover bid. Holmes a Court himself was a regular contributor there for a time.

Piggins took a number of the members there to court and won, over some things that were said about him and this caused the place to just about shut down. Later, there was a schism between Holmes a Court and some of the people who ran the site and this also resulted in court action and a couple of off shoots starting up and the club even had a tilt at hosting an official forum. That was later shut down as they had too many issues modding it.

Basically, a lot of the people surrounding the club always have and always will post in those forums. A high percentage of them also come here to read but they don't really contribute much by way of posting. I know this because, if someone posts a signing rumour here concerning Souths, it is a new thread in the other two forums within minutes. Most of the posters in the other forums won't come here because they consider it to be full of trolls.

We are an odd bunch. Quite a lot of the posters at either forum don't post on the other even though they are essentially the same thing. If someone posts a fresh bit of info in one, someone else takes it to the other forum rather than discuss it in the forum where it was raised.

Don't know how to change all of this. I think the only way it would change is if suddenly the other two forums were brought under the LU banner and hosted here like Jubilee Ave. Even then, I reckon you'd have a large number of posters who didn't venture into the wider community. In fact, I reckon if the Souths part had a members only section, then you'd see an influx of posters. I think that the vast majority just want to talk about Souths and not necessarily league in general. There is a lot of history in the other two sites though and I think that Souths fans will continue to post there and stick to one or the other of those as long as they are around, rather than come to a general forum such as this with a Souths section.

You may not know it from the numbers on LU but Souths fans are on the web in serious numbers. You only need look at the Facebook numbers to see that. It's not that we don't use forums, its just that this one is not popular amongst us.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Fair enough and a good background.

I've always been one who likes to challenge the status quo, so I guess that's why I'm wondering if there isn't a way to change how things are done to encourage. It's mostly the reason I'm critical of NR's methods which to me aren't creating an environment in which people want to engage in discussions.

EDIT: appreciate the detailed responses btw

Newy wastes the internet with the amount of useless freds he starts.

Fair enough and a good background.

I've always been one who likes to challenge the status quo, so I guess that's why I'm wondering if there isn't a way to change how things are done to encourage. It's mostly the reason I'm critical of NR's methods which to me aren't creating an environment in which people want to engage in discussions.

EDIT: appreciate the detailed responses btw

This a souths forum not a canterbury one,why the f**k do you care what goes on here? Everyone knows you depise Souths,if you dont like it f**k off then

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
Stop wasting the f**ken internet Newy! The President of the internet released a statement before Christmas stating that the world has to preserve internet resources ffs. What about all the kids in Africa who can't post on the internet because you take all their space up you f**ken hog!

Big Sam

First Grade
Stop wasting the f**ken internet Newy! The President of the internet released a statement before Christmas stating that the world has to preserve internet resources ffs. What about all the kids in Africa who can't post on the internet because you take all their space up you f**ken hog!

Wasting the internet is starting up troll threads regarding your abnormal obsession with our RL club.

Timmah

Staff member
This a souths forum not a canterbury one,why the f**k do you care what goes on here? Everyone knows you depise Souths,if you dont like it f**k off then
Grow up idiot, I'm having a genuine discussion with DKoR regarding forum discussion.

Nowhere in the rules are fans of other clubs banned from opposition forums.

Grow up idiot, I'm having a genuine discussion with DKoR regarding forum discussion.

Nowhere in the rules are fans of other clubs banned from opposition forums.

Crawl back into your hole,no one has said anything about anyone been banned you goose.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Don't stress.Timmah..

Have you ever been at the pub and encountered that local bloke who's always there, sitting by himself, speaks gibberish and just sits there abusing everyone who walks through the door?

Newcastlerabbit is the forum's equivalent of that bloke..

Except the bloke in the pub doesn't sit there reading the paper and screaming out loud every single article he sees..

Don't stress.Timmah..

Have you ever been at the pub and encountered that local bloke who's always there, sitting by himself, speaks gibberish and just sits there abusing everyone who walks through the door?

Newcastlerabbit is the forum's equivalent of that bloke..

Except the bloke in the pub doesn't sit there reading the paper and screaming out loud every single article he sees..

only at soft c**ks like yourself that troll in here,you dont like it,f**k off

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It sounds like you have low blood sugar..

Here you go:

0919.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.