What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ho Hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

StMick

Bench
I must say, I always find it amusing when people try and bag St George for making one of the smartest moves in rugby league history - joining forces with Illawarra. We kept our name, we kept our colors, we kept our emblem, probably quadrupled our junior base and massively increased our supporter base as well. So in summary, we gave up very little and gained enormously.

I guess we could have been better off selling off our club for pittance to some Hollywood movie star, or be like the roosters with no juniors and no supporters (the crowd at last year's grand-final was embarasing for the roosters).

So just keep bagging us! When opposition fans are bagging you it means you're doing things right.

PS and if you people want to throw at us that St George Illawarra have only won one premiership, that's fine. That's one more than Souths have won in 40 years and the same as the roosters have won in the last 35 years. So our strike rate blows you blokes out of the waters for the last 35 years.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
parra pride wow (4) premierships PRIDE? You have to be joking? What pride is there in winning (4) premierships and you have been runners up (5) times when do you think the parramatta eels can equal the south sydney rabbitohs with (20) premierships mate:crazy:

one-eyed rabbitoh.

Note all the empty seats around that tifo? :lol:

lol@50uff$

StMick

Bench
So souths - what's a hundred years of history and 20 premierships = ? About 3 million. Good clubs like the Dragons spill that over the bar annually.

Parra Pride

Referee
parra pride wow (4) premierships PRIDE? You have to be joking? What pride is there in winning (4) premierships and you have been runners up (5) times when do you think the parramatta eels can equal the south sydney rabbitohs with (20) premierships mate:crazy:

one-eyed rabbitoh.

I don't base my loyalty on how much they have or haven't won.

Mattyoh

Juniors
I must say, I always find it amusing when people try and bag St George for making one of the smartest moves in rugby league history - joining forces with Illawarra. We kept our name, we kept our colors, we kept our emblem, probably quadrupled our junior base and massively increased our supporter base as well. So in summary, we gave up very little and gained enormously.

I guess we could have been better off selling off our club for pittance to some Hollywood movie star, or be like the roosters with no juniors and no supporters (the crowd at last year's grand-final was embarasing for the roosters).

So just keep bagging us! When opposition fans are bagging you it means you're doing things right.

PS and if you people want to throw at us that St George Illawarra have only won one premiership, that's fine. That's one more than Souths have won in 40 years and the same as the roosters have won in the last 35 years. So our strike rate blows you blokes out of the waters for the last 35 years.

Good post. You still merged though.

woodyk2

First Grade
Souths 20 SYDNEY premierships. Win something worthwile then flap ya gums. Oh and thanks big pete for bringing this FACT to my attention.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Are they worth less if he wasn't? The game has been around a bit longer than ur merged entity. We have a very proud history, hence the title "the pride of the league."

20 premierships in a non-professional era, 40 years of absolutely no success whatsoever and 1 finals series in over 20 years in which you were knocked out first round, meanwhile spending a bucketload to attract some stars which have delivered nothing. The only people who refer to Souths as "the pride of the league" are souths fans.

I'd take a merged club, having seen success in my lifetime over a team who have been a bunch of bottom feeders for decades. How is the halves search going?

How many NRL premierships do you guys have? How many ARL premierships do you have?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
All clubs should be proud of their history, traditions & achievements that they have earned over the years.
Every club in the game with the possible exception of Melbourne has started from humble beginnings & it all starts from workers believing in themselves that they can build a viable asset that will represent a community & a locality with honour & distinction.
Why supporters have to turn on each other is beyond me but the game was built on the services of the little bloke & we should be a bit more respectfull to all clubs not just our own.

Well done sir, great attitude. Go stand with Ziggy and co!

StMick

Bench
To be honest I really like Souths - they're very handy. For example: When they start talking themselves up (which is every year) you know that the off-season's almost finished and the footy is nearly back.

South Sydney - undoubtedly the greatest February champions in the NRL.

Snappy

Coach
Are they worth less if he wasn't? The game has been around a bit longer than ur merged entity. We have a very proud history, hence the title "the pride of the league."

To me the OP comes across as a 17 year old and has never seen his club achieve anything. So all he has to troll with is sucess from a long time ago.

It's one thing to be proud of your club's history from before your time, but it's another thing altogether to have witnessed and been around to enjoy the premiership sucess of yoru team, and hence you hold that success in higher regard to that of 70 years ago.

I have seen and enjoyed all six of my teams premierships.

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
Also, one more question to the one eyed rabbit:

Why do you need to put parentheses around numbers?

I suspect it's schizophrenia.

I know Souths fans aren't too bright but St George Illawarra Dragons are a "joint venture" and not a merger. Both the St George DRLFC and the Illawarra Steelers are still legal entities, subject to the control of their members.

The joint venture builds on the long standing relationship between the two areas and ensures that top class rugby league is still played in both local regions. The club has retained the history of both entities, including the world famous colours and jersey of the St George DRLFC. No surprise that the club is often referred to as the "Red V" and that the likes of Wayne Bennett have acknowledged such factors is what drew him to coach there.

In contrast, Souths are no longer subject to control of club members but are the plaything of a couple of egotistical maniacs. These same millionaires who bought the club for virtually nothing have ripped it away from its local community, just to garner a few more shekels out at Homebush. No surprise that the club's most dedicated son refuses to attend games.

This sale of the club's soul and heritage would be understandable if it involved turning around its pathetic on field lack of success for nearly the last half century. But it hasn't and Souths continue to be a joke, losing games in a shambolic fashion week after week.

You can all sprout "merge, merge" blah blah blah but it rings a little hollow. I guess I can understand though, it must help you keep turning up each week to watch the crap served up by your supposed superclub.

I suspect it's schizophrenia.

I know Souths fans aren't too bright but St George Illawarra Dragons are a "joint venture" and not a merger. Both the St George DRLFC and the Illawarra Steelers are still legal entities, subject to the control of their members.

The joint venture builds on the long standing relationship between the two areas and ensures that top class rugby league is still played in both local regions. The club has retained the history of both entities, including the world famous colours and jersey of the St George DRLFC. No surprise that the club is often referred to as the "Red V" and that the likes of Wayne Bennett have acknowledged such factors is what drew him to coach there.

In contrast, Souths are no longer subject to control of club members but are the plaything of a couple of egotistical maniacs. These same millionaires who bought the club for virtually nothing have ripped it away from its local community, just to garner a few more shekels out at Homebush. No surprise that the club's most dedicated son refuses to attend games.

This sale of the club's soul and heritage would be understandable if it involved turning around its pathetic on field lack of success for nearly the last half century. But it hasn't and Souths continue to be a joke, losing games in a shambolic fashion week after week.

You can all sprout "merge, merge" blah blah blah but it rings a little hollow. I guess I can understand though, it must help you keep turning up each week to watch the crap served up by your supposed superclub.

Hey St Jubbsy,
If St George & Illawarra are still Legal entities why don't you members have a vote and demerge the clubs ? Bennet only chases the $$$$$$ he does not give a shhit about your club. Remeber all the players we have out injured and a coach who is on cruise control going into retirement.Who is your coach for next season ? Is it Jason Taylor, Ricky Stuart, Trent Barret, Nathan Brown or the Leading Candidate Ronald McDonald he like's wearing Red and White, let's see where St Merge are this time next season.

Stand And Be Counted !

Last edited:

Liddell

Juniors
:) Message to you morons, your life must be really exciting,what time does your carer turn off your internet

It doesn't.

Check out the Souths thread on the main board. Half the sad merkins spend their saturday night scouring the net for pics to post about another rugby league team.

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
Hey St Jubbsy,
If St George & Illawarra are still Legal entities why don't you members have a vote and demerge the clubs ? Bennet only chases the $$$$$$ he does not give a shhit about your club. Remeber all the players we have out injured and a coach who is on cruise control going into retirement.Who is your coach for next season ? Is it Jason Taylor, Ricky Stuart, Trent Barret, Nathan Brown or the Leading Candidate Ronald McDonald he like's wearing Red and White, let's see where St Merge are this time next season.

Stand And Be Counted !

Don't you have school in the morning? You should get some sleep because you clearly haven't been listening in English.

We have appointed a coach for next season but why are we talking next year...oh that's right, your season is already over in Round 20. Yet again.

"Stand and be counted"....LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts