What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodges taking advice from Chris Walker?

Mambo

Juniors
Missing Rooster Hodges seeks Broncos berth
By Danny Weidler
January 28, 2004
Sydney Roosters centre Justin Hodges has gone AWL from the club and has expressed an interest in rejoining the Brisbane Broncos.

Hodges has failed to show up at Roosters' training sessions since last Friday but, according to teammates, has made contact with the Broncos. The 21-year-old Queensland representative is understood to have approached Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen in a bid to resume his career with his former club.

The Roosters became concerned over Hodges last Friday, when he failed to show up for a regulation training session. The club has tried to contact him since but he has yet to reply to the calls, including those from coach Ricky Stuart.

Hodges has been upset since breaking up with his fiancee, model Lauren Lillie, whom Hodges had credited with being a steadying influence in his life on and off the field.

While the Roosters are angry that Hodges has not sought leave from training and rejected their attempts to contact him, they are maintaining a supportive stance.

"Justin has been given two weeks off from training for personal reasons," Stuart told the Herald last night. "He has been having a difficult time of late and we will do anything we can to try and help him out.

"I will also do anything I can do for him in order to get through these next few weeks so that he can refocus on football."

Stuart refused to comment on Hodges's plan to join the Broncos. However, Roosters officials yesterday made it clear there was no chance Hodges would be given a release from his four-year deal with the club.

Hodges would forgo around $1 million if he were to walk out on the Roosters, as he has just signed a three-year extension to his current deal, which would have ended at the end of this year.

When Hodges approached the Broncos recently, it is believed they made it clear they would be unable to accommodate him for salary cap reasons and because he was already contracted to the Roosters.

Hodges has not made any official request to leave the Roosters, although it is understood that course may be pursued by his management.

According to teammates, Hodges is homesick for Queensland and has been lonely since his relationship with Lillie ended.

Stuart and Hodges have since had a tight relationship, and his failure to take Stuart's phone calls has not been well received. Under Stuart's guidance, Hodges has developed into the game's best defensive centre and a rising star of Origin. Stuart has even expressed a belief that Hodges has leadership qualities.

Hodges, however, is no stranger to controversy. After announcing his defection from Brisbane to the Roosters in 2001, he was dumped to first division by Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.

"We had made a lot of sacrifices for Justin and have done a lot of things for him, and he's chosen not to be here," Bennett said at the time. "We've got very little loyalty in return from what we've put into Justin and I don't feel I owe him anything."

Less than a year later, Hodges was back in the headlines - and back in first division. Following a disastrous State of Origin outing, during which he threw two in-goal passes that led to NSW tries, Hodges opted to drive, rather than fly, back to Sydney. Which came as news to Stuart, who had expected the Queenslander at training in Sydney the day after the Origin encounter. Stuart demoted Hodges from the first grade side.

"If Justin had asked for a day to clear his head, I would have given him two days if he needed it," Stuart said at the time. "I just thought it was important for Justin to be back here so I could be close by. He's got some good friends around here."

But Hodges soon regained his place among the Roosters' elite. And despite several minor controversies - in which he publicly sledged the likes of Cronulla's David Peachey and Newcastle's Ben Kennedy - Hodges was again selected for Queensland last year.

That match, though, was to be his last for 2003. On an uneven, sandy playing surface at the renovated Suncorp Stadium, he suffered a season-ending knee injury and his dominant on-field presence was badly missed by the Roosters in their grand final loss to Penrith.

Hodges has been recovering well from the knee injury, and his rehabilitation has included doing extra training sessions with boxer Anthony Mundine. It had been expected Hodges would be fit for a return to first grade at the start of the season in March.

Doctor

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/27/1075088025694.html

Just noticed this also - it seems there is no room in his deal for a release. It makes me wonder what he is doing with the Broncos when he has so recently re-affirmed his commitment to the Roosters.

Doesn't sound like he wants to be there, or else he doesn't feel there is any people to befriend within the Roosters' ranks.

ozzie

Bench
and at his age didn't you all go through shattered romances and reckon the world was against you??

Naah of course you didn't because you guys are bullet proof. Well any Souths supporter would have to be

Mambo

Juniors
ozzie said:
and at his age didn't you all go through shattered romances and reckon the world was against you??

Naah of course you didn't because you guys are bullet proof. Well any Souths supporter would have to be

No need to get all offended about it. I just thought it was funny that you guys sign Walker and then Hodges pulls this stunt.

Canavan was on radio this morning and is in contact with Justin.

The lad has gone back to be with his parents in Brisbane, not the Bronco's.

The Roosters Express - All Aboard !! The Justin Hodges carriage is filling fast. :D

Wobbygong

First Grade
He may be with his parents, but feels isolated down in Sydney and he was keen to return Brisbane and possibly join the Broncos again (if legallly possible) even if it means walking out on a million dollar deal at the Chooks.

I note his agent has stated if he doesn't return to chookies training by 9 Feb, he may quit league altogether, which would be a tremendous shame for league.

Vas Deferens

Juniors
Wobbygong said:
He may be with his parents, but I can assure you he is VERY keen to join the Broncos again (and has had a meeting with Bruno Cullen) even if it means walking out on a million dollar deal at the Chooks.

With Hegarty's leg stuffed and Hodges likely to walk out , it only leaves Ryan "Quentin" Cross plus maybe Willie Bishop getting an opportunity now.
Unfortunately for the Broncos (and for the NRL in general) Justin would likely be left to sit out the best part of his career as no one could've written a worse contract than Souths.

His third option, playing in ESL, would take him even further away from home and family.

How does he feel about the Queensland Reds I wonder...

Latest News

A Message from Brian Canavan, Sydney Roosters CEO

Author: Sydney Roosters
Wednesday, 28 January 2004

You may have seen a report in this morning’s Sydney Morning Herald regarding Justin Hodges.

To clear the air, Justin is currently working through some personal issues. At Justin’s request via his Manager, he has been granted two weeks personal leave to sort through the situation.

The Sydney Roosters are totally supportive of Justin and understands the difficult environment and personal pressures in which he has found himself. He is back with his family, and we are all working through these issues in a practical way.

Justin is a valued and popular member of our club and a key component of our 2004 campaign. Justin will be back in training in the second week of February.

This is a personal issue in which the club will not be elaborating, other than to provide total support to Justin and his family.

Brian Canavan
CEO

http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/latestnews.php?ID=565

Well, I'm glad that Justin is with family. Obviously he's sorting things out.

It's now a personal matter, not a RL one.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Your right Oz the guy has split with his girl and is a shattered man......he is only young and needs the support of his family and friends (who wouldn't at a time like this) and I can understand that completely.

Once he works through the split he has to get back to work/training again.

I feel for Justin...but he'll be back.

Kiwi

First Grade
It is all speculation and no one can say it is true or it is not true. No one will know till it's all settled and Hodges is either back at bondi training or back in Bronco colours.

Anything that doesn't come from Justin's mouth directly can either be clased as a media beat up or a Roosters "all is fine....I hope".

PB

Bench
Very generous employers the Roosters. Employee of mine as personal issues, they a)contact me first, and b) request time off, where i would probably give te hem a week, pending on circumstance.

Mysmpothy to you, but it is far from the end of the world. Take a few days Mr Hodges, and then snap out of it sunshine.

ozzie

Bench
Northwest Rabbit said:
ozzie said:

No need to get all offended about it. I just thought it was funny that you guys sign Walker and then Hodges pulls this stunt.

yeah but the funniest thing about Walkers signing was you guys paid squillions for him - we didn't - now laugh that one off...

Mambo

Juniors
ozzie said:
Northwest Rabbit said:
ozzie said:

yeah but the funniest thing about Walkers signing was you guys paid squillions for him - we didn't - now laugh that one off...

:lol:

I can laugh it off. Its in the past now, just like your 2002 premiership.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
You know what's funny too...Theres more souths fans in that picture than there were Roosters fans at the World 7z. :lol:

f**k you've got a sad existance troll.

Sorry everyone, I'm getting jack of this shit. I don't go f**king about and trolling other people forums with absolute tripe.

ozzie

Bench
Northwest Rabbit said:
ozzie said:
Northwest Rabbit said:
ozzie said:

:lol:

I can laugh it off. Its in the past now, just like your 2002 premiership.

but at least we have something to show for it - you got stuff all - couldn't even win the wooden spoon - but that was by default

ozzie

Bench
Raiders 2004 said:
You know what's funny too...Theres more souths fans in that picture than there were Roosters fans at the World 7z. :lol:

mate check your crowd figures out and compare them to our home crowds...oh dear lost again - you have proven yourself to be the weakest link. goodbye

Funny how I've provided links and statistics proving that we are well supported, yet people keep serving up this tripe and expect me not to vomit over them.

melon....

Coach
Penelope Pittstop said:
f**k you've got a sad existance troll.

Sorry everyone, I'm getting jack of this sh*t. I don't go f***ing about and trolling other people forums with absolute tripe.
Its what makes Fader 2004 special. That and his 6 fingered banjo hand.

Latest posts