What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are you feeling as a fan about today's decision?

Sharkforever

Juniors
I feel a little sorry for Stuart Raper today , after 13 weeks he could coach and now he can't ?

The big picture though is that the club needs to make changes and once again the coach is the scapegoat for others to retain their positions.

As Sharks fans and long suffering ones at that , I guess we all have to stick solid and get behind the changes for the future and hope to god the right decisions have been made for the long run.

Thanks Stuart Raper for your effort over the last few seasons and to an extent for being a loyal club man through your coaching career with our lower grades over the years too . This business like any is based on success and regardless of certain influences and restraints , you didn't come up with the goods in this dog eat dog world of rugby league . All the best Stuart.

Sharks fans , let's hope this is the start of something great ..... after all these years my fingers remain in what I call the ' sharkies position ' (crossed) .

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Its a cut throat business just like all business.

I'd like to see the report. Maybe they can display it for all to see in the club somewhere. Or post it on their website as a pdf file. What chances?

Inferno

Coach
Bastard_Squad said:
If I see yet another thread on the Raper sacking I'm going to long-neck myself.

I'v always found that type of attitude rather defeatist BS.

Instead I focus on how I'm going to neck the person that made me feel that way;-)

Much more therapeudic:D

Macca

Coach
I think the board have acted appropriately in this instance. Coaches live and die by their results and Rapers results were unacceptable.

spider

Coach
I agree. What say round 6 next year and we are 5 and 1. Will people be thinking of heading the board???????????

But if we are 1 and 5 - sharpen the blade.

Only time will tell.

I have not changed my view or opinion of the Admin, and will vote accordingly at next years elections.

Inferno

Coach
Well even if we are 6 - 0, I still would not have given the board any credit. That said it doesn't make much difference seeing as I'm not a member.

to quote someone on here(apologies to whom, I forget)

"we fell ass backwards into a coach"

Ask yourself this, do you think Raper would have gotten the sack if it wasn't for Sticky being released by the Roosters?

Im not so sure, and for that I give them no credit.

spider

Coach
Inferno said:
Well even if we are 6 - 0, I still would not have given the board any credit. That said it doesn't make much difference seeing as I'm not a member.

to quote someone on here(apologies to whom, I forget)

"we fell ass backwards into a coach"

Ask yourself this, do you think Raper would have gotten the sack if it wasn't for Sticky being released by the Roosters?

Im not so sure, and for that I give them no credit.

Fire up Inferno - sponsors were not resigning until a decision was made on the 07 coach - they had to act on it. So i would say yes (IMO) he would have got the punt.

Inferno

Coach
fair enough, but who was available that would have inspired confidence in the sponsors?

I don't think Lam would have cut the mustard for them really.

spider

Coach
Inferno said:
fair enough, but who was available that would have inspired confidence in the sponsors?
Give Mazda a shot - his source (close to the ground) to assist Lam

I don't think Lam would have cut the mustard for them really.
I agree - but Daniel Anderson was around, talk of Waite. Surely someone would take a shot at breaking the Sharks virginity in the premiership era - it would make their career.

Baz would resign them for a decade.

There was way tooooo much pressure for the club to retain Raper. They had to show some balls on this one. Think about the financial impact this decision has on the club - Raper, Lam to be paid out. Are they still paying the Chris Ando bill? Ricky, Flanagan, and more to be put on the payroll.

troy

Juniors
I feel sorry for Raper and i tell you this at least he loves the club.... Im excited though about Stuart coming !!!!

spider

Coach
troy said:
I feel sorry for Raper and i tell you this at least he loves the club.... Im excited though about Stuart coming !!!!

I feel too for him and his family.

But if you had a business and results determined revenue..........................

Quigs

Immortal
Well I for one am Looking Forward, and not looking Back.

Cheers
Declared idiot #88
Quigs

LeagueLegend

Juniors
SpiderShark said:
There was way tooooo much pressure for the club to retain Raper. They had to show some balls on this one. Think about the financial impact this decision has on the club - Raper, Lam to be paid out. Are they still paying the Chris Ando bill? Ricky, Flanagan, and more to be put on the payroll.

This only reflects even more poorly on the club management and board though and I sympathise with its supporters. How many times can the board/management keep affording to get it wrong?

Lang (not renewed and then wins a premiership 2 years later) - Anderson (cost them big time financially with his payout) - now Raper (will also cost them $200k to be paid out). All had various reasons as to why they have gone but they can't simply keep making these errors!!

spider

Coach
LeagueLegend said:
This only reflects even more poorly on the club management and board though and I sympathise with its supporters. How many times can the board/management keep affording to get it wrong?

Lang (not renewed and then wins a premiership 2 years later) - Anderson (cost them big time financially with his payout) - now Raper (will also cost them $200k to be paid out). All had various reasons as to why they have gone but they can't simply keep making these errors!!

Poor selection process has many defiencies - if you get it wrong - deal with it.

And besides - after the first 14 rounds the selection was a good one - is the board to blame for the last 10 rounds?

troy

Juniors
Well i do run a business and i just sacked my sales manager yesterday and he is a great bloke... Business is business....

Kiwishark

Juniors
As a fan, I think the board has made the right decision for this situation. I don't really feel sorry for Raper, the cookie didn't crumble his way and that's the way it goes.

But this is only the start of things that need to happen for this club to get back on the right track.

IMO as fans of this club, we need to let the coach prove to us over a few seasons his worth. I certainly won't be jumping into praising whoever the coach may be. He has done nothing until he can bring this club back to be at least, a premiership contender. Some jumped on the Raper bandwagon when he first came, and were subsequently let down.

I will be taking may grain of salt, whether it be Stuart, Lam, Waite, Anderson, whoever.

Inferno

Coach
To be honest I don't feel any sorrier for him than I do for the average man on the st who is sacked just because they aren't good enough. Like Troy said, business is business.

I wish him and Lam all the best though like I do all ex-sharkies;-)