What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
I love our tests and I think they are a better product than what union produces. However watching the Bledisloe yesterday there is no doubt the atmosphere is superior to our league test matches. There's a buzz or spark that isn't there for out matches. Heading into the world cup I really hope we can capture a special feel at the ground.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
I love our tests and I think they are a better product than what union produces. However watching the Bledisloe yesterday there is no doubt the atmosphere is superior to our league test matches. There's a buzz or spark that isn't there for out matches. Heading into the world cup I really hope we can capture a special feel at the ground.

The primary problem with Tests is that Rugby league is not a national or international game.

An international game with atmosphere requires opposition not another boring flogging.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
League tests are great! The atmosphere is second to only a SoO.

NRL: everyone's focused on the game & atmosphere is fairly non-existant
SoO: everyone's going off with a Queenslander! chant
Tests: beachballs, mexican waves, chant duals (like the "Aussie, Kiwi, Aussie, Kiwi" one at the Anzac Test last year)

I'm going down to Sydney for the Aus v NZ game but I'm afraid that the Sydney fans won't be able to live up to what I'm used to in Brisbane.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
League tests are great! The atmosphere is second to only a SoO.

NRL: everyone's focused on the game & atmosphere is fairly non-existant
SoO: everyone's going off with a Queenslander! chant
Tests: beachballs, mexican waves, chant duals (like the "Aussie, Kiwi, Aussie, Kiwi" one at the Anzac Test last year)

I'm going down to Sydney for the Aus v NZ game but I'm afraid that the Sydney fans won't be able to live up to what I'm used to in Brisbane.

Queenslanders really must be living in a bubble if you think League tests have atmosphere.

Inferno

Coach
I went to one at Suncorp last year or the year before against the Poms and that had a great atmosphere.

Eels Dude

Coach
Firstly, New Zealand need to start challenging more. In the Aussie media, they keep talking up how the Kiwis are going to be a new side this time, and every time they lose. Also, when we did lose the Tri Nations to them a few years ago, heads rolled, players were blacklisted, just for losing a series for the 1st time in 30 years or so.

The ARL must feel it's unacceptable to lose to NZ, and until NZ rugby league is given the respect it deserves, their interest isn't going to increase, and thus it's not going to compete with rugby as an international sport.

VictoryFC

Bench
The one thing that draws me to Union internationals is the crowd. Eden Park looked amazing last night for example. In Union, when they get full houses it creates a sense of importance and demand that makes it attractive.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Have you ever been to one?

No I haven't. I have been watching "international" rugby league for about 25-30 years on TV. Why? I can't help it. Sorry, but it is the crap.

Yes. You do get some of the atmosphere through the TV

I've seen far too many floggings to take it seriously.

The rugby league world cup is going to be a progression of floggings that will embarrass the game and provide cheap laughs to union followers.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
Anyone go to the Australia V England World Cup final in 2003?
If League could ever dream of capturing that kind of atmosphere, our superior product would put us streets ahead of any other sport(except probably soccer) in the world.

Calixte

First Grade
No I haven't. I have been watching "international" rugby league for about 25-30 years on TV. Why? I can't help it. Sorry, but it is the crap.

Yes. You do get some of the atmosphere through the TV

I've seen far too many floggings to take it seriously.

The rugby league world cup is going to be a progression of floggings that will embarrass the game and provide cheap laughs to union followers.

You hope. Your trolling is becoming rather boring. And repetitive.

The 2007 union WC was a joke in terms of the quality of product. I doubt RL could possibly reproduce such crap if it wanted to...

SaveTheChildren

Juniors

The 2007 union WC was a joke in terms of the quality of product. I doubt RL could possibly reproduce such crap if it wanted to...
But at least when they get through the crap, there are about 8 teams to contest.

We have Australia, NZ and England. It is not enough for a tournament. I don't mind having one off tests or 3 test series.

We can't support a tournament. What you call trolling is just home truths that you don't like.

Butters

Bench

The 2007 union WC was a joke in terms of the quality of product.
I doubt RL could possibly reproduce such crap if it wanted to...

Yeah those Quarter Final upsets were so piss poor. Oh and can't forget Argentina upsetting France in the opener, Fiji v Wales to make the Finals etc etc but yeah it was terrible quality :roll:

Latest posts