What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Calixte

First Grade
The fact is if you look at the total history since 1908, international rugby league IN AUSTRALIA is still way ahead in so far as the relative importance of international union IN AUSTRALIA is concerned.

The combination of crowds (the only indicator prior to TV taking over as the major indicator) and TV ratings since for both union and rugby league show RL miles in front.

It was about the early 1980s that TV started to rule the roost.

Calixte

First Grade
At least I'm big enough to acknowledge there is an awesome atmosphere at bledisloe matches in NZ. You can't do that. Why don't you go and swallow some more anti news ltd proganda.

:lol: Mmmm. Not sure what that means. Perhaps in English next time. The evidence you do work for News Ltd is growing with each post.

Calixte

First Grade
Yeah those Quarter Final upsets were so piss poor. Oh and can't forget Argentina upsetting France in the opener, Fiji v Wales to make the Finals etc etc but yeah it was terrible quality :roll:

Many, many union people stated that the tournament was of miserable quality.

Sorry to remind you...

westie

Bench
2 Teams are capable of winning the Union WC. Less than the RL one. This is because they are good at Rugby. See RUWC final '07. No trys. WTF.

The RU cup served up far more no contests than ours will.

Our game is better to watch played by superior players.

Watching the Wallabies instead of the Kangaroos is like watching Jim Beam Cup instead of NRL.

VictoryFC

Bench
Actually Butters, a lot of analysts and enthusiasts have said that 07 wasn't the greatest way to portray the game of rugby union. But what can't be denied is the 55,000+ average for the tournament - thats up there with FIFA World Cups, and I cant think of any other sport that could do that. As I mentioned earlier, thats what makes it attractive. It gives a perception that its in demand.

Butters

Bench
Many, many union people stated that the tournament was of miserable quality.

Sorry to remind you...

That's news to me. Only people i've heard bleat on about the supposed poor quality of the RUWC are leaguies on this forum who would've been watching the games just to laugh at it.

Calixte

First Grade
The differences aren't that marked.

Union WC - 4 winners, 5 finalists
Rugby League WC - 2 winners, 4 finalists

Certainly not to justify the conclusion that union's is the bees knees and rugby league's should not be held. :lol:

Continue anyway...

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
Thanks for proving my point. Instead of saying "I can admit there is an awesome atmosphere at Bledisloe matches," you pretend you can't understand my post.

This is not about the quality of the product or the TV ratings. It's about the atmosphere at the ground.

Butters

Bench

Certainly not to justify the conclusion that union's is the bees knees and rugby league's should not be held. :lol:

Continue anyway...

A competition that has decades on the RUWC and for the majority of the tournaments only had 4 teams. Yeah that really proves your point...

Calixte

First Grade
That's news to me. Only people i've heard bleat on about the supposed poor quality of the RUWC are leaguies on this forum who would've been watching the games just to laugh at it.

Really...

You do live in a funny little dream world, don't you...

VictoryFC

Bench

Continue anyway...

That is the most flawed logic.

FIFA World Cup Winners - 7. And thats if you count Uruguay (which I wouldnt really). Yet its a sport where nations ranked 1-80 can on any given day beat eachother.

roughyedspud

Coach
Anyone go to the Australia V England World Cup final in 2003?
If League could ever dream of capturing that kind of atmosphere, our superior product would put us streets ahead of any other sport(except probably soccer) in the world.

you want atmosphere????
part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc3eeacjKHk&feature=related
part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ41hLlbjwY&feature=related

union would kill for an atmosphere like that...listen to it, it's awesome :shock:

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
2 Teams are capable of winning the Union WC. Less than the RL one. This is because they are good at Rugby. See RUWC final '07. No trys. WTF.

The RU cup served up far more no contests than ours will.

Our game is better to watch played by superior players.

Watching the Wallabies instead of the Kangaroos is like watching Jim Beam Cup instead of NRL.
I can't stand union and don't know which two teams. Which are the two teams? Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England or France. (I assume it is one of those 5).

Ireland, Scotland and Wales are okish.

Calixte

First Grade
Thanks for proving my point. Instead of saying "I can admit there is an awesome atmosphere at Bledisloe matches," you pretend you can't understand my post.

This is not about the quality of the product or the TV ratings. It's about the atmosphere at the ground.

Hardly.

Try the atmosphere at the 1992 RL World Cup Final as an example. It sounded like a bullfighting arena. The near capacity Wembley crowd of over 73,000 bayed for the Great Britain side to win.

Rugby league still dominates union when it comes to WC Final crowds in London.

A city and stadium reknowned for some of the greatest, if not the greatest, atmosphere in world sport.

Sorry. You were saying...

Calixte

First Grade
That is the most flawed logic.

FIFA World Cup Winners - 7. And thats if you count Uruguay (which I wouldnt really). Yet its a sport where nations ranked 1-80 can on any given day beat eachother.

So you agree that one shouldn't be held despite the similarity?

Join the troll queue then...

Johns Magic

Referee
If Australia wins this upcoming WC(a near certainty), it'll mean they've held the cup for the last 40 years.

Latest posts