What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Calixte

First Grade
I can't stand union and don't know which two teams. Which are the two teams? Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England or France. (I assume it is one of those 5).

Ireland, Scotland and Wales are okish.

Ireland v NZ in union, 100+ years, Ireland wins = 0

:lol:

Calixte

First Grade
If Australia wins this upcoming WC(a near certainty), it'll mean they've held the cup for the last 40 years.

And the All Blecks have choked for 21 years straight. They should have won all of the union WCs since it started.

So?

VictoryFC

Bench
So you agree that one shouldn't be held despite the similarity?

Join the troll queue then...

The troll queue lol. Everyone on this forum who says one slight thing that goes against rugby league is a troll - thats fair enough, you cant expect any less I guess.

But its pretty funny that when someone says only 1 League team can win a World Cup really, you fire out the "only 4 teams in Union can win". Then I hit you with only 7 teams have won the FIFA World Cup, a sport where over 200 nations have national teams, and where a high percentage of those teams are really competitive, you pull the troll card out.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when a Pool/group game in rugby league world cup recreates the atmosphere a Union game can in the same situation, then you've got my attention.

For France to average close to 60,000 a game in 07 is very impressive, and there were a fair few games played. Just the fact that there are that many people in the grounds automatically gives it a better atmosphere than most rugby league tests.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Speaking as somone who admires most sports, I think both League and Union have atmosphere at tests on ocassions. However, the Union guys will admit that test against Ireland, France, Scotland etc are generally not as intense and therefore the crowds are not as intense. Bledisloe's and the tri nations series are generally well supported and have atmosphere. Rugby League tests seem to have atmosphere only if they are NOT played in Sydney. I am not sure what is says about us as Sydneysiders but we just seem to be lacking in this department. (By the way, you want atmosphere, go to a Sydney FC game and join in with the cove. Awesome experience).
As for World Cups, Football can really only lay claim to the only truly World Cup since nearly every country in the world plays football and the top 60 or so are competitive (Australia was lowly ranked and beat Argentina 4-1 when they were the WC Holders). Yes only 7 countries have one but to win a tournament requires many wins which is usually too much to ask the lesser rated teams. However, they can jag a win here and there. I am pretty sure that in Union, there re only 8 or so teams that can win any game and in League only 3.

Surely even you Calixte will agree to this or will you?

VictoryFC

Bench
Speaking as somone who admires most sports, I think both League and Union have atmosphere at tests on ocassions. However, the Union guys will admit that test against Ireland, France, Scotland etc are generally not as intense and therefore the crowds are not as intense. Bledisloe's and the tri nations series are generally well supported and have atmosphere. Rugby League tests seem to have atmosphere only if they are NOT played in Sydney. I am not sure what is says about us as Sydneysiders but we just seem to be lacking in this department. (By the way, you want atmosphere, go to a Sydney FC game and join in with the cove. Awesome experience).
As for World Cups, Football can really only lay claim to the only truly World Cup since nearly every country in the world plays football and the top 60 or so are competitive (Australia was lowly ranked and beat Argentina 4-1 when they were the WC Holders). Yes only 7 countries have one but to win a tournament requires many wins which is usually too much to ask the lesser rated teams. However, they can jag a win here and there. I am pretty sure that in Union, there re only 8 or so teams that can win any game and in League only 3.

Wishful thinking, your logic is too insulting for Calixte

Calixte

First Grade
The troll queue lol. Everyone on this forum who says one slight thing that goes against rugby league is a troll - thats fair enough, you cant expect any less I guess.

But its pretty funny that when someone says only 1 League team can win a World Cup really, you fire out the "only 4 teams in Union can win". Then I hit you with only 7 teams have won the FIFA World Cup, a sport where over 200 nations have national teams, and where a high percentage of those teams are really competitive, you pull the troll card out.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when a Pool/group game in rugby league world cup recreates the atmosphere a Union game can in the same situation, then you've got my attention.

For France to average close to 60,000 a game in 07 is very impressive, and there were a fair few games played. Just the fact that there are that many people in the grounds automatically gives it a better atmosphere than most rugby league tests.

Hardly. I'm dealing with about 5 trolls at once that's all. :lol:

Most of their arguments are lying on the floor shredded if you read the whole thread...

There will be superb atmosphere at the RL game in Melbourne between England and Australia during the RLWC 2008. Enjoy...

There are 3 nations with a chance of winning the RLWC - NZ, Australia and England. Not one.

If you want to discuss international soccer, start a new thread.

VictoryFC

Bench

Most of their arguments are lying on the floor shredded if you read the whole thread...

There will be superb atmosphere at the RL game in Melbourne between England and Australia during the RLWC 2008. Enjoy...

There are 3 nations with a chance of winning the RLWC - NZ, Australia and England. Not one.

See thats where our thinking differs. 3 is a pipeline dream. Realistically, its 1. Clearly you dont agree, so we're not getting anywhere with that. The WC is good for rugby league in general/developing the game, but in competitive terms, its a foregone conclusion.

Calixte

First Grade
Speaking as somone who admires most sports, I think both League and Union have atmosphere at tests on ocassions. However, the Union guys will admit that test against Ireland, France, Scotland etc are generally not as intense and therefore the crowds are not as intense. Bledisloe's and the tri nations series are generally well supported and have atmosphere. Rugby League tests seem to have atmosphere only if they are NOT played in Sydney. In recent years that is true. I am not sure what is says about us as Sydneysiders but we just seem to be lacking in this department. (By the way, you want atmosphere, go to a Sydney FC game and join in with the cove. Awesome experience).
As for World Cups, Football can really only lay claim to the only truly World Cup since nearly every country in the world plays football and the top 60 or so are competitive (Australia was lowly ranked and beat Argentina 4-1 when they were the WC Holders). Yes only 7 countries have one but to win a tournament requires many wins which is usually too much to ask the lesser rated teams. Correct. However, they can jag a win here and there. I am pretty sure that in Union, there re only 8 or so teams that can win any game and in League only 3. ? explain

Yngwie_70

Juniors

So once again you have just been owned. Why start a new thread? Surely even someone as stubborn as yourself can concede that only Football has the only true World Cup? Leagues tri nations is a good competition but why drag other nations who wont be able to stay within 60 points of the tri nations team into it. (Queue - Rugby Union has only 5 competitive nations comment)

Calixte

First Grade
See thats where our thinking differs. 3 is a pipeline dream. Realistically, its 1. Clearly you dont agree, so we're not getting anywhere with that. The WC is good for rugby league in general/developing the game, but in competitive terms, its a foregone conclusion.

3 is not a dream at all. Look at recent Test results. Then get back to me...

All three have beaten each other in big games over the last 3-4 years.

NZ have in almost every case had a less than full strength team.

GB's problem is inevitably composure - losing games in the last few minutes has become a habit.

Calixte

First Grade
So once again you have just been owned. Why start a new thread? Surely even someone as stubborn as yourself can concede that only Football has the only true World Cup? Leagues tri nations is a good competition but why drag other nations who wont be able to stay within 60 points of the tri nations team into it. (Queue - Rugby Union has only 5 competitive nations comment)

Owned. Where?

Where did I say the soccer WC wasn't way out in front?

f**kwit...

Yngwie_70

Juniors

GB's problem is inevitably composure - losing games in the last few minutes has become a habit.
Correct if me if I am wrong but there is not Great Britain in the world cup. England, Scotland and Ireland. SO make a weak team weaker. That has to be good for the rugby league world cup. This reduces the competition to 2 team who might win and AUstralia flogged NZ last time. Hmm. Maybe PNG can give the Kangaroos a scare.

Nook

Bench
Rugby League tests seem to have atmosphere only if they are NOT played in Sydney

Trinations 2006 final in Sydney had an awesome atmosphere - up there with the best at any game I've been to, Saints v Tigers 2005 semi aside.

Calixte

First Grade
Correct if me if I am wrong but there is not Great Britain in the world cup. England, Scotland and Ireland. SO make a weak team weaker. That has to be good for the rugby league world cup. This reduces the competition to 2 team who might win and AUstralia flogged NZ last time. Hmm. Maybe PNG can give the Kangaroos a scare.

I said look at recent results - all with GB not England.

Yes. England will compete at the RLWC 2008 as will Scotland and Ireland. Exciting snippet of news. No-one was aware. Thanks again.

And England will be as strong in 2008 as GB in 2007 and recent years previous to that...

VictoryFC

Bench

Maybe you're right, I concede. But Ill tell you one thing, Id put my house on Rugby League WC winner, I wouldnt do the same for Union.

Latest posts