What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Vimpy

Juniors
i asked someone what the crowd was like at a bledisloe game whose been.

i understand as someone that likes union you might get upset but when ive watched it on TVs, it looks like a bunch of old farts.

the problem with union is the crowds are getting older whilst RL has new generates all the time adding to its prosperity

That simply isn't true. I've been to two tri-nations matches this campaign and was taken aback by the number of young people -- kids, youths and young adults. I felt old and I'm in my early 40s! Dunedin may be a university town but it seemed every student there was at the All Blacks v Saffers game. Not a tweed jacket in sight. The same was true of Perth. Despite the game being probably the worst of the series so far, there was a tremendous atmosphere (at a crap stadium) and everyone appeared to enjoy themselves. The banter between fans before, during and after the game was brilliant. As a visitor I was made to feel very welcome and that is a tremendous advertisement for your country and the sport.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I have been to plenty of Wallabies matches.

Everyone just sits there in silence, and that includes Bledisloe's, the RWC (opening game , Semi and Final).

Only the losers have bought tickets, because virtually the whole Stadium is there with corporate tickets.

blingblang

Juniors

Everyone just sits there in silence, and that includes Bledisloe's, the RWC (opening game , Semi and Final).

Only the losers have bought tickets, because virtually the whole Stadium is there with corporate tickets.

yes and to avoid HIV one only needs to wash his knob afterwards.

That simply isn't true. I've been to two tri-nations matches this campaign and was taken aback by the number of young people -- kids, youths and young adults. I felt old and I'm in my early 40s! Dunedin may be a university town but it seemed every student there was at the All Blacks v Saffers game. Not a tweed jacket in sight. The same was true of Perth. Despite the game being probably the worst of the series so far, there was a tremendous atmosphere (at a crap stadium) and everyone appeared to enjoy themselves. The banter between fans before, during and after the game was brilliant. As a visitor I was made to feel very welcome and that is a tremendous advertisement for your country and the sport.

:lol:

youve been to 2 more union tests this year than most australians then mate.

ive asked people who have been what the crowd is like and theyve answered.

RU in australia is not only a minority sport, its one watched by only a certain snob part of the population for elitist reasons.

i mean who would choose to watch that crap when you can watch something like the nrl.

are you an expert on HIV mate?

in england people at union games cant boo the kicker when hes taking a penalty shot.

if you do, people frown at you and say this isnt done in our sport.

when discussing this on TRL a load of the union posters got upset when we made fun of them on that.

Ziggy the God

First Grade

Exhibit A: One of the Turds that sits there in silence........

Technical%20Tweed%20JacketTech-Tweed-Jck-CS0040-+-Bre.jpg

blingblang

Juniors
Dally, the ELV rugby on display this year as been infinitly more entertaining than the typical monotonous and predictable League matches recently with their one off passes and the usual five tackles and a kick nonsense. Don't get me started on all the wrestling crap either..

hybrid_tiger

Coach

That applies to all Australian sports, with the one exception of soccer. Australian crowd atmosphere is sh1t, regardless of sport.

Dally, the ELV rugby on display this year as been infinitly more entertaining than the typical monotonous and predictable League matches recently with their one off passes and the usual five tackles and a kick nonsense. Don't get me started on all the wrestling crap either..

this would be the ELVs that make RU more like RL, even in the eyes of union people.

we changed the rules of union in 1907 to become like RL.

100 years later union is now trying to copy.

you take our players, our coaches and you make the rules like our game.

you cant polish a tu*d mate. union will always be union.

but immitation is the best form of flattery.

we know RU wishes it was more like RL, thats why we all love RL so much

Ram Man

Juniors

:lol::lol:
f**k off idiot...How can you even class any game of Rugby as entertaining?
You manna talk boring an monotonous, what about kicking the piss out of it whenever you are in your half. Just because you changed the rule doesnt mean an 80 minute kicking duel is entertaining.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again...Any game that can class Matt Dunning as a professional athlete is a joke!

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Origin 3 this year was a doozy.

one of the best atmospheres at a game in australia for ages.

Explain how it is different to a Union test? Or a Grand final? All much the same really.

The only league game in Australia I've ever walked away from and commented on the atmosphere was Tigers vs Dragons 05 semi.

I'm a season ticket holder at the Tigers, been to about five or six Origins, a couple of grand finals and a few test matches. None of them had anything to write home about in terms of atmosphere when compared to the 05 semi.

But as I said, this is not a league thing. Its an Australian thing. If you've ever attended a soccer or even an ESL league match in Europe, you'll agree.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Explain how it is different to a Union test? Or a Grand final? All much the same really.

The only league game in Australia I've ever walked away from and commented on the atmosphere was Tigers vs Dragons 05 semi.

I'm a season ticket holder at the Tigers, been to about five or six Origins, a couple of grand finals and a few test matches. None of them had anything to write home about in terms of atmosphere when compared to the 05 semi.

But as I said, this is not a league thing. Its an Australian thing. If you've ever attended a soccer or even an ESL league match in Europe, you'll agree.

origin 3 was the loudest ive ever been to.

ive been to games in england as well, you are right there.

origin 3 was similar to that.

and the atmosphere for any RL GF is awesome.

Vimpy

Juniors
RU in australia is not only a minority sport, its one watched by only a certain snob part of the population for elitist reasons.

The Aussies I was drinking with after the Perth game would piss themselves if they heard that description. More blue-collar and working class you couldn't meet.

The Aussies I was drinking with after the Perth game would piss themselves if they heard that description. More blue-collar and working class you couldn't meet.

you dont know much about australia do you mate.

union is played in elitist private schools where they dont play RL.

its watched by people mainly from sydneys upper north shore and eastern suburbs

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
How come countries fight over the rights to host The Rugby Union World Cup yet the same doesnt happen for The Rugby Legue World Cup?

Until Australia stop being paranoid and stop stealing players from NZ, Tonga, PNG and Samoas player pool the international game will suck and the NRL will remain exactly that a game limited only to the nation of Australia making SOO the pinnacle of the sport.

The only way the game can grow and afford to pay the players what they want they need to create more revenue which can only be done by making the game international.

As long as polynesians cant play SOO they will continue to go to English Superleague and Rugby.

The NRL teams always use to poach players from the All Blacks (Matthew Ridge, Craig Innes and so on) now its come back to bite them.

Vimpy

Juniors

you dont know much about australia do you mate.

union is played in elitist private schools where they dont play RL.

its watched by people mainly from sydneys upper north shore and eastern suburbs

I was at the game, so I'm pretty sure I know more about what the crowd and atmosphere were like than you do. The people I was drinking with came from all over Australia and are now working in the mining industry.

Latest posts