What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did our coach get the nickname Mary?

smi962

First Grade
Anyone know?

I did a google search and there is a singer called Mary Macgregor but way before my time.

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I'm pretty sure it was to do with this popular at the time brand of margarine. The time line fits and you can find the ad on youtube (if you have absolutely nothing else to do...ever)
th

From memory, the lyrics to the ad made mention of 'Mary McGregors margarine'.
It could have been used with derogatory implications or said in jest ? Butter fingers??
Then again, I might have just made this all up :)

drake

First Grade
Magda Szubanski had a Scottish drunk character in one of the fast forward skits called Mary McGregor.

bottle

Coach
There's no mention of 'Mary' in the marge ad (not the one I found anyway), so it doesn't make sense. If he was known as 'Mrs' then I could understand the link.

Mary McGregor was a character in a movie from around the late 60's, 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie'. I'm guessing his early coaches/schoolmates would have been aware of it and it might've come from that. Also as previously mentioned a singer from around 1976 when he would have been a young fella playing footy. Again, probably a schoolmates nickname.

Only guessing, but these make more sense to me than the marge ad.

DragonBuck

Juniors
Was Mary back in his Dapto days. I remember when he finally decided to step up and play with the Steelers(they had been trying for years but he just wanted to play park footy) there was a big push to call him Buster. Of course it was never going to stick.....

The Nick

Bench
I always thought it was one of those deliberately ironic nicknames, kinda like calling a bald man "curly"??

God-King Dean

Immortal
He once masturbated & aimed too high, resulting in his head shave

Inspired a Hollywood movie & really kick started Cameron Diaz's career.

Sheeds

Juniors
I reckon he was 11 when Mary McGregor's song "Torn between two Lovers" became a big hit. I'll bet he picked up the nickname in High School

Sheeds

Juniors
Sorry....he would have been 9....still could have picked up the nickname at school. Here's a thought..... Why not ask HIM.