What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does Rabs still have a job?

newman

First Grade
Just on the research thing. The NRL releases a media guide at the start of the year and presents it to all media outlets. Club by Club it has all registered players info, including home town, junior club and any other interesting tid bits worth mentioning in a call in a simple, easy to locate resource. If he cant/wont read and learn from this, when someone else has done all the actual research, maybe it is time for him to go.

I have the media guide from this year, If I get a chance I will scan a couple of pages so you can see what I am talking about. This book also has all of the email addresses and mobile phone numbers of all of the NRL coaches (except for Ricky Stuarts) how I have managed to not exploit this genuinely surprises me.

At least Andrew Voss kept tabs on French rugby league, which is the rising location of rugby league growth in the world. Voss would know that Toulouse are a big chance to get a Super League licence in 2015, which will increase the number of French Super League teams to two, and will increase the number of juniors playing in France, and over time improve the quality of the French national team. Andrew Voss would also know that Remi Casty is a classy French prop forward who will give the Roosters the extra mongrel to counter the Burgess clan-dominated Souths pack.

Vossy would know all of that. Ray Warren would know none of that. But Hadley at least would find out through his sources before the game began.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
At least Andrew Voss kept tabs on French rugby league, which is the rising location of rugby league growth in the world. Voss would know that Toulouse are a big chance to get a Super League licence in 2015, which will increase the number of French Super League teams to two, and will increase the number of juniors playing in France, and over time improve the quality of the French national team. Andrew Voss would also know that Remi Casty is a classy French prop forward who will give the Roosters the extra mongrel to counter the Burgess clan-dominated Souths pack.

Vossy would know all of that. Ray Warren would know none of that. But Hadley at least would find out through his sources before the game began.
Shut up.

firechild

First Grade
How do you blokes cope when you go to an actual game without commentary?

What does that have to do with anything? I could (and occasionally do) sit and watch a game with no sound and know what's going on. When kids, casual fans and newcomers sit and watch the game on tv and the commentator seems to have no idea what's going on (the situation in the Manly v Dogs game where he was talking about a strip being allowed when preventing a try - except that the wrong team had the ball was laughable, same goes for whining about tackling an attacking player mid-air which happens frequently) it's a bad look for the game. Channel 9 is where most of these viewers are likely to see the game and we need it presented in a professional manner.

I watched the yawnion test the other night and while there are some dopes involved there, the calling of the game is very professional. I don't watch AFL but by all reports, the commentators know what is going on. NRL coverage needs to be better.

aqua_duck

Coach
What does that have to do with anything? I could (and occasionally do) sit and watch a game with no sound and know what's going on. When kids, casual fans and newcomers sit and watch the game on tv and the commentator seems to have no idea what's going on (the situation in the Manly v Dogs game where he was talking about a strip being allowed when preventing a try - except that the wrong team had the ball was laughable, same goes for whining about tackling an attacking player mid-air which happens frequently) it's a bad look for the game. Channel 9 is where most of these viewers are likely to see the game and we need it presented in a professional manner.

I watched the yawnion test the other night and while there are some dopes involved there, the calling of the game is very professional. I don't watch AFL but by all reports, the commentators know what is going on. NRL coverage needs to be better.

This.

It's completely different situation at the ground because you feed off the atmosphere, no one goes to a game because its a better view, people go for the atmosphere, to be there in the moment and as a social occasion, when you're watching at home you get none of that and most avid league fans probably don't need commentary (although it is a bonus), but if I was new to the game and was listening to Rabs I don't think I'd get much of an understanding from it

carcharias

Immortal

well... pop your resume in the mail then...you should do the job.

I would put my hand up but I can't because I don't know every single players name and their mothers maiden name in all grades of French rugby league.

Maybe Vossy should do it.
oh ....hang on.. everyone whinged their arse off about him as well.
Knew too much...was a wanker apparently.

I fell asleep in the union.

carcharias

Immortal
This.

It's completely different situation at the ground because you feed off the atmosphere, no one goes to a game because its a better view, people go for the atmosphere, to be there in the moment and as a social occasion, when you're watching at home you get none of that and most avid league fans probably don't need commentary (although it is a bonus), but if I was new to the game and was listening to Rabs I don't think I'd get much of an understanding from it
If you were new to the game how would you know he got a name wrong ?

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
well... pop your resume in the mail then...you should do the job.

Strawman argument. I couldn't do it but I expect that someone who is paid a shitload of cash to be the voice of rugby league should get things right. It's not just about getting names wrong, it's about getting basic concepts of the game wrong (did you read my comments re: mid-air tackles and in-goal strips?)

I would put my hand up but I can't because I don't know every single players name and their mothers maiden name in all grades of French rugby league.

Maybe Vossy should do it.
oh ....hang on.. everyone whinged their arse off about him as well.
Knew too much...was a wanker apparently.

I fell asleep in the union.

Some may have but I've always been a fan of Vossy's commentary. It's by far the best of a pretty average bunch over the past 10 years (including Fox commentary).

If you were new to the game how would know he got a name wrong ?

As above, it's not just about names. It's getting simple rules wrong and talking about the colour of his f*cking tie during a grand final. Sure, Gus has to take some of the blame for the tangents but Rabs is a dribbler who would rather talk about Mylanta than rugby league during Sunday footy.

Sure, Gus has to take some of the blame for the tangents but Rabs is a dribbler who would rather talk about Mylanta than rugby league during Sunday footy.

You mean a "driveler." He talks drivel, not "dribble."

Give him a few more years of senility and as the brain-body connection starts to decay he will start to dribble, especially between sentences.

Hench

Juniors
Channel 9 in general is just a joke. I see the Sunday Footy Show has actually gotten worse and is now Johns and Fittler acting like a couple of dickheads for an hour.

newman

First Grade
How many games has he called in his day? 10,000? 20,000? You can forgive him for phoning it in for that meh game yesterday.

carcharias

Immortal
How many games has he called in his day? 10,000? 20,000? You can forgive him for phoning it in for that meh game yesterday.

They can't ....
It is too important to hear a players name said correctly.
Poor Rabs had been on the piss solid for 4 weeks on the other side of the planet while on his Olympics junket. Then some bloke with a womans name runs onto the field and rabs hasn't heard of him.

Months and months later some pleb on a footy forum still can't get over it.

Latest posts