What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Long Ago Was It

The Preacher

First Grade
That the Dragons didn't have a player in the Australian side?????
We get the bloody bye this week because of the test match and the fact we are playing on Anzac Day, and for the first time in I don't know how long, we don't have a single rep in the Aussie side.
I know the bye will be valuable to us with some of our injuries, but I honestly can't remember this situation happening for yonks, if at all !!:?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Savour it...

I remember in the 90's looking at the Brisbane & Canberra sides with envy - all those Rep players. But having all the Rep players at Saints has done nothing for our Premiership aspirations. We were a better team in the 90's with Mackay, Coyne & Barnhill as our sole SOO reps.

big pat

Coach
right on preacher man, its going to be a sad night.. but tell me do you think tate and lyons are better players than cooper. like i said yesterday broncos win one game so far and they get 6 players in...and if you think its because saints are losing remember alan mcmahon & fillipana they got picked from reserve grade....

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm with SS.

The less our lads have to play, the better at the moment. We're suffering from injuries enough as it is. I thought Cooper would have edged in, or even Creagh, but like I said I've got no complaints here.

The Preacher

First Grade
big pat said:
right on preacher man, its going to be a sad night.. but tell me do you think tate and lyons are better players than cooper. like i said yesterday broncos win one game so far and they get 6 players in...and if you think its because saints are losing remember alan mcmahon & fillipana they got picked from reserve grade....

No I don't, and more so with Tate that Lyons. Lyons has been solid in a winning team, while Tate has been a festering tit in a losing side.

McMahon was picked because of a selectors deadlock between John Dorahy and a Queenslander whose name escapes me at present, and the casting vote went to Kevin Humphries, who decided that it would be Balmains Alan McMahon to get the jersey.
I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember there was a family connection as well, and I think Humph may even have been his father-in-law, but I'm not 100% on that.;-)

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I'm pretty sure the last time Saints had no Kangaroo players was about 1994 or so. But as a Saints fan I consider it a good thing. It would be even better for me personally if we didn't get any in SOO either.

Looking at the Aussie team, it seems to me that just about all of them have been picked on reputation rather than form. They look ripe for the picking.

C'aaaaarn the Kiwis! :)

gregstar

Referee
cooper is the best left centre in the comp & comfortably so.

but he has only himself & the halves to blame.

he's hardly seen the pill & hasn't gone looking for it.

dragonfire

Bench
well looking at the team they have definitely picked on reputation rather than form and i think that gives the kiwis a great chance of winning. Personally i think it could be a good thing to motivate a guy like Cooper to get more involved, especially in attack.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ryles was named in the 2005 Anzac side but he pulled out two days prior.

petetheileet

First Grade
cooper was never a good chance....he hasn't been at his best since 2005. Im a big fan of his but he simply doesnt go looking for the ball long enough....

in saying that i dont think our back rowers have helped him too much lately....Scott is sh*thouse and sims and creagh run a lot down the middle of the park more like front rowers and look for the offload

getting young back in the team will be good for him

Godz Illa

Coach
I thought Cooper had been playing quite well this year. Against the Cowboys he was double-teamed but still made some breaks. And I don't know how you can call Scott sh*thouse, he was one of our best on Saturday night.

Back on topic, I'll echo the thoughts of SS, Drew and Daithi.

Father Ted

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
I thought Cooper had been playing quite well this year. Against the Cowboys he was double-teamed but still made some breaks. And I don't know how you can call Scott sh*thouse, he was one of our best on Saturday night.

Back on topic, I'll echo the thoughts of SS, Drew and Daithi.

I have always thought that Cooper needs to look for the ball when things are not going the teams way , he has always had this habit of waiting for the ball to find him and Gregstar is right when he says that probably cost him his place in the Aussie team . My constructive suggestion is he watch Blacklock videos .

Latest posts