What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
and champ? really? you went there? how about go f**k yourself with an angle grinder. i love this team and this town and it sh*ts me that everyone i meet does not feel the same way. not only that, but they think i have some sort of disease for doing so. when i moved to Newcastle as a naive 15 year old, i thought i was coming home to a sea of red and blue support. what faced me instead was complete uncare for our town and our team that has only worsened dramatically since then. this was in our premiership year, i might add. i was shocked then and i am disappointed with it to this day. i do my small part where i can, i have gotten 2 of my mates into the footy over the past 2 years and they are now both season ticket holders, and i would anticipate will continue to be into the future. i hope to add one to that list each year if i can. it's not much, but hey it's more than most people do. acting small but thinking large. the only way to solve these problems on a grand scale, though, is to put a winning team on the park. a fantastic way to guarentee that we won't have a winning team on the park any time soon is to re-instate a locals-before-imports policy. it's not viable at the moment at all, and may never be again looking head, and no-one who is going to help dig our club out of the financial sh*tbog gives a sh*t about it, either. win and they will come. it's that simple.
I agree with this 100%. Like you, pretty much all of my mates hang sh*t on me for supporting the Knights. Sure, it's all said in good fun, but they live in Newcastle, but support teams like Cronulla, Canberra and Brisbane. That's the problem ...

macavity

Referee
you have your head in your arse... and your arse in the sand. how many of your friends are Knights fans? be honest, now. i'm talking fans that actually spend money on the club by turning up to games and buying merchandise. i'm betting you may have 2 or 3 at most.

what happened last time we built a team of locals? how did that work out for us? where are the locals you speak of that will dig us out of the sh*t? how many of the old farts don't recognise Aku as a local product... and how many of them would hold the same bias against a Pete Mata'utia? WHERE ARE THE LOCAL PLAYERS TO DO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING? stop living in a fantasy world! it may take us 15 or more years to build a team of locals again. the only time in our history we've been able to field close to a full team of locals and be successful we happened to have a certain Andrew Johns carrying them on his shoulders. some of our club greats are adopted from other areas - in fact HEAPS of them are. the lack of locals being our problem is a myth. an absolute myth... and in order to pull it off you have to, at some stage, give preference to local players over those that are more skilled from elsewhere. furthermore, if the locals get a sniff that there is a local policy in place it breeds apathy and laziness... because they know as locals they will be looked after. i don't have to speculate on this at all, because we have seen it all before! it has happened in the past and will happen again in the future if we go down that same road. this is suicide in a professionally run club or competition. it isn't sustainable, it isn't viable and it is ridiculous to try and make a case that it is. all professional teams go through ebbs where they will produce bumper crops one generation of juniors and then dud crops for others. we are in a dud generation, pure and simple. people will adopt non-local players extremely happily if they are winners. there is no more to it than that. i have no doubt that all things being equal we would always take a local product over an import... and with the exception of a single cleanout when Smith got here, i have zero doubt that has remained the same. the locals simply are not there. the production line is halted.

now, back to our generation. go and do a tiny bit of field research like i have. just canvas your friends, people you meet out in town, without bias or leading them on. how many of your friends and peers are genuinely proud of Newcastle and what it stands for? how many of them would prefer to live in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne? how many have already left? how many are planning to? how many of them can even get jobs in the area? i'll tell you what i've found, across the board... a complete feeling of apathy, or disgust about the town in general. if you fail to see what me going out and getting herpes, as you put it, has to do with a lack of pride in our team then it only completely reinforces my belief that you are ignorant as f**k. this town is deeply connected to the knights, and vice versa. what happens when pride in our town drops? what happens when people begin to resent the way our town is run? it equally reflects in the club is what happens. the club represents our town in the NRL, and will be supported just as our town is supported. this club lifted newcastle out of a deep depression in 1997. the town is now doing the complete inverse of the to the Knights. people don't want to support something that they don't feel represents them.

it has taken me 7 years just to get my best mate interested in the Knights... and even then he's a casual supporter at best. outside of people i have met through footy itself, i am the only person i know that supports the knights. there was a single classmate from my school and none from another i spent a bit of time at. there is a massive disconnect between the knights and this generation, and if you can't see it living IN that generation then you are absolutely 100% in denial. the knights are DREADFULLY uncool to support. i don't need to canvas every young knights fan in the country, because the young knights fans arn't the problem you muppet. it's the people our age that ARN'T knights fans that are the problem... and they are absolutely plentiful. i mean it's not like we're storm fans living in melbourne, we are knights fans living in a bloody rugby league stronghold! we shouldn't be able to walk down the street without tripping over knights supporters! instead it was and probably still is considered a subject of ridicule to support the knights at both schools that i have experience with in the area, and from generally asking around over the years, that is pretty much the rule rather than the exception to it. i live in and of this generation, and i don't need a survey to tell me there is a problem. i see and live it every single day of my life, and you are lying or living in denial if you haven't seen it too. that, or you simply haven't thought about it. i knew more Knights fans as a boy living in Lightning Ridge than i do as a Knights fan living in Newcastle. that is 100% fact.

filling the stands with Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers is a short term solution at best, and a complete PROBLEM as far as atmosphere at the ground goes. you aren't talking about people who have super maturing, you are talking about people that LOST a great deal of their super in the GFC. you are talking about a bunch of old farts that don't want to go out on a cold winters day and make some noise to the team. WE NEED the Gen Y'ers and below to start the chants, to make the noise. Gen X'ers and Baby Boomers want to sit in the stands and have little golf claps when a try is scored. look around next time you're at a game and tell me that isn't true with a straight face. i don't know that a single club in the NRL would target Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers over youth. youth is always the best policy. to say that a Baby Boomer or a Gen X'er is willing to drop as much cash on footy as a 20-something, typically single Gen Y'er is a complete fallacy and poorly thought out. you are a muppet for even thinking this age demographic consuming our supporter base is a good thing. it is a giant problem and must be addressed. a successful team will bring these people back, and it is the only sure fire thing that will. the fact is, our supporters are an aging population. please explain to me how an aging population is beneficial? i honestly don't think you understand that i'm not talking about people that ARE knights fans (massive minority), but the HUGE majority that are not knights fans, and don't contribute a damn cent to the club.

ask roopy what he thinks of staying for the main game, because his opinion is completely, 100% typical of his age group. his age group were the ones filling the stands 15-20 years ago... and EVERYONE filled the stands just to watch Joey play. now what? we're a dead set uncool bunch of losers that certainly bugger all people my age want a bar of.

and champ? really? you went there? how about go f**k yourself with an angle grinder. i love this team and this town and it sh*ts me that everyone i meet does not feel the same way. not only that, but they think i have some sort of disease for doing so. when i moved to Newcastle as a naive 15 year old, i thought i was coming home to a sea of red and blue support. what faced me instead was complete uncare for our town and our team that has only worsened dramatically since then. this was in our premiership year, i might add. i was shocked then and i am disappointed with it to this day. i do my small part where i can, i have gotten 2 of my mates into the footy over the past 2 years and they are now both season ticket holders, and i would anticipate will continue to be into the future. i hope to add one to that list each year if i can. it's not much, but hey it's more than most people do. acting small but thinking large. the only way to solve these problems on a grand scale, though, is to put a winning team on the park. a fantastic way to guarentee that we won't have a winning team on the park any time soon is to re-instate a locals-before-imports policy. it's not viable at the moment at all, and may never be again looking head, and no-one who is going to help dig our club out of the financial sh*tbog gives a sh*t about it, either. win and they will come. it's that simple.

*ahem*

you got that 500 words for me yet, Zack de la Rocha?

2012 we will be fighting for a spot in the finals, and have a chance to take a home semi.

2014 Is when I think we we will have a genuine shot at the minor premiership. Gives Stone time to develop our current crop of exciting juniors (esp the forwards like Josh, Finn, Cook and Tetavano) and we would have a great mix of exciting juniors and experienced heads running the team.

I'd f**king home we are fighting for a spot in the finals next year! Bit too much forward planning for mine though but I'd happily sit around and wait if I knew a GF appearance was on the cards in 2014.

otori

Juniors
now, back to our generation. go and do a tiny bit of field research like i have. just canvas your friends, people you meet out in town, without bias or leading them on. how many of your friends and peers are genuinely proud of Newcastle and what it stands for? how many of them would prefer to live in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne? how many have already left? how many are planning to? how many of them can even get jobs in the area? i'll tell you what i've found, across the board... a complete feeling of apathy, or disgust about the town in general. if you fail to see what me going out and getting herpes, as you put it, has to do with a lack of pride in our team then it only completely reinforces my belief that you are ignorant as f**k. this town is deeply connected to the knights, and vice versa. what happens when pride in our town drops? what happens when people begin to resent the way our town is run? it equally reflects in the club is what happens. the club represents our town in the NRL, and will be supported just as our town is supported. this club lifted newcastle out of a deep depression in 1997. the town is now doing the complete inverse of the to the Knights. people don't want to support something that they don't feel represents them.

it has taken me 7 years just to get my best mate interested in the Knights... and even then he's a casual supporter at best. outside of people i have met through footy itself, i am the only person i know that supports the knights. there was a single classmate from my school and none from another i spent a bit of time at. there is a massive disconnect between the knights and this generation, and if you can't see it living IN that generation then you are absolutely 100% in denial. the knights are DREADFULLY uncool to support. i don't need to canvas every young knights fan in the country, because the young knights fans arn't the problem you muppet. it's the people our age that ARN'T knights fans that are the problem... and they are absolutely plentiful. i mean it's not like we're storm fans living in melbourne, we are knights fans living in a bloody rugby league stronghold! we shouldn't be able to walk down the street without tripping over knights supporters! instead it was and probably still is considered a subject of ridicule to support the knights at both schools that i have experience with in the area, and from generally asking around over the years, that is pretty much the rule rather than the exception to it. i live in and of this generation, and i don't need a survey to tell me there is a problem. i see and live it every single day of my life, and you are lying or living in denial if you haven't seen it too. that, or you simply haven't thought about it. i knew more Knights fans as a boy living in Lightning Ridge than i do as a Knights fan living in Newcastle. that is 100% fact.

filling the stands with Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers is a short term solution at best, and a complete PROBLEM as far as atmosphere at the ground goes. you aren't talking about people who have super maturing, you are talking about people that LOST a great deal of their super in the GFC. you are talking about a bunch of old farts that don't want to go out on a cold winters day and make some noise to the team. WE NEED the Gen Y'ers and below to start the chants, to make the noise. Gen X'ers and Baby Boomers want to sit in the stands and have little golf claps when a try is scored. look around next time you're at a game and tell me that isn't true with a straight face. i don't know that a single club in the NRL would target Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers over youth. youth is always the best policy. to say that a Baby Boomer or a Gen X'er is willing to drop as much cash on footy as a 20-something, typically single Gen Y'er is a complete fallacy and poorly thought out. you are a muppet for even thinking this age demographic consuming our supporter base is a good thing. it is a giant problem and must be addressed. a successful team will bring these people back, and it is the only sure fire thing that will. the fact is, our supporters are an aging population. please explain to me how an aging population is beneficial? i honestly don't think you understand that i'm not talking about people that ARE knights fans (massive minority), but the HUGE majority that are not knights fans, and don't contribute a damn cent to the club.

That's really sad. Most of my mates are Broncos fans and we're 22/21/20. They'll wear their jerseys to all sorts of events and I generally wear my Knights jersey to games or after a win. I guess living in Brisbane and PNG most of my life, I cannot understand people not getting behind a team that is on their doorstep.

slotmachine

First Grade
Just to add my $0.02.

I am gen y.
Couldn't care less where the players are from.
Mates will go to the footy when we're winning.

Since 2003 we haven't been successful, unless you count 2006 and our epic capitulation to brisbane.

Gen y demand success. Start winning and crowds go up.

Don't see that happening next year though.

Serc

First Grade
It was pretty unfashionable to support the Knights when I lived in Newcastle.....except for the fact that I was living on campus at the uni with hundreds of other out-of-towners. So I thought that was to be expected for a place like that...seems like it was a mirror image of most 18-twentysomethings in Newcastle over the past 5 or more years!

Knightmare

Coach
you have your head in your arse... and your arse in the sand. how many of your friends are Knights fans? be honest, now. i'm talking fans that actually spend money on the club by turning up to games and buying merchandise. i'm betting you may have 2 or 3 at most.

what happened last time we built a team of locals? how did that work out for us? where are the locals you speak of that will dig us out of the sh*t? how many of the old farts don't recognise Aku as a local product... and how many of them would hold the same bias against a Pete Mata'utia? WHERE ARE THE LOCAL PLAYERS TO DO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING? stop living in a fantasy world! it may take us 15 or more years to build a team of locals again. the only time in our history we've been able to field close to a full team of locals and be successful we happened to have a certain Andrew Johns carrying them on his shoulders. some of our club greats are adopted from other areas - in fact HEAPS of them are. the lack of locals being our problem is a myth. an absolute myth... and in order to pull it off you have to, at some stage, give preference to local players over those that are more skilled from elsewhere. furthermore, if the locals get a sniff that there is a local policy in place it breeds apathy and laziness... because they know as locals they will be looked after. i don't have to speculate on this at all, because we have seen it all before! it has happened in the past and will happen again in the future if we go down that same road. this is suicide in a professionally run club or competition. it isn't sustainable, it isn't viable and it is ridiculous to try and make a case that it is. all professional teams go through ebbs where they will produce bumper crops one generation of juniors and then dud crops for others. we are in a dud generation, pure and simple. people will adopt non-local players extremely happily if they are winners. there is no more to it than that. i have no doubt that all things being equal we would always take a local product over an import... and with the exception of a single cleanout when Smith got here, i have zero doubt that has remained the same. the locals simply are not there. the production line is halted.

ask roopy what he thinks of staying for the main game, because his opinion is completely, 100% typical of his age group. his age group were the ones filling the stands 15-20 years ago... and EVERYONE filled the stands just to watch Joey play. now what? we're a dead set uncool bunch of losers that certainly bugger all people my age want a bar of.

You make some great points there. I am a couple of months short of 25, but I remember a decade ago when Newcastle were known as "everyone's second favorite team"- well, maybe except to Manly and Easts fans, but since when has anybody ever given a f**k what they thought?

Presently I live in Brisbane, and I recently met this 18 y/o chick who is a Broncos fan. She found out I was a Knights fan and said "Oh yeah- haha meh. I don't know, I just find the Knights to be a 'meh' team." Just yesterday at work I was chatting with a co-worker (Titans fan) and another bloke (Broncos fan) about the footy and I made a comment about the Knights' recent seasons and my co-worker started laughing and said "Looks like we've got a Newcastle fan here!" For mine, that says a lot. Like it or not, we have become like the Raiders or Penrith- if you don't follow them, who gives a s**t? It's a far cry from the passionate imagery that used to be evoked just by mentioning the Newcastle Knights. Imagery of Darren Albert scoring the match-winner in the 1997 Grand Final, of the Johns brothers scheming in the middle of the field and the forwards ripping in and a stadium full of red and blue clad fans chanting- not just home, but away. I remember back in 2001 coming back from Toyota Park on the train and this old female Souths fan said to me "If every teams' fans followed their team the way Newcastle fans do, the game would be so much better." Could you really say the same for the 2010 spec. Knights?

These days the imagery has been replaced by that of a mid-table team whose best player is an effective, but unspectacular, fullback. A team who the opposition aren't really thinking about in the lead-up to a new season. A team who are only getting 13,000 people to a stadium which, even in spite of current renovations, is a s**tload better than what was there 10 years ago amidst crowds of 19 or 20,000. As for away support- well there is The Crusade and the Nanna's, but apart from that, the swell of travelling support that could rival any other clubs' is gone.

On a final note, this "locals are everything" mentality s**ts me. It reflects nothing more than selective memory. Do everyone a favor and go through the Knights 1988 1st grade squad. Kiwi's, Islanders' and Sydneysiders aren't exactly a needle in a haystack with that lot. Our original captains' real last name was Hauwahau. "Old man River" who we sing for every match, came to us by way of Easts FFS!

You want to have an "old-school, locals only" football club, in 5 years you won't even have a football club to follow. Fact.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
I thought the support for the Knights when we played the Broncos up here was fantastic. It felt like 1 in 2 fans were wearing red and blue when I was sitting in the stadium.

Maybe a fair chunk have moved north like me? (Im not from Newie though)

Knightmare

Coach
Yeah, I was surprised at the amount of support that night. Go back 10 years though, and there were definitely bigger numbers. The Titans game was a pleasant surprise as well. Maybe, as perverse alluded to, many of the faithful have moved away?

Serc

First Grade
This years Titans game had the lowest amount of Knights fans in the away supporters bay that I have seen since Skilled was opened...highest was the game late in 08 (close to the coldest night on the Gold Coast that year), next was R1 2009 in that stinking hot day, then lower again a month ago. There was also a very low turnout to the entire stadium...only 12k on a Sunday afternoon (admittedly there was some light rain and cloud, but still surprising). Also surprising given that the Gold Coast is closest to the many Knights supporters that there would be in NE NSW.

I was also impressed at the Knights turnout at Suncorp on April 30 too :)

Last edited:

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
I believe Mac had a meeting with burro a few years ago, he even said back then that we have an older generation supporter base which is just not been replaced. I believe its a thing if you are 18 and live in Newcastle and support the Knights you just aren't cool.

RHCP

Bench
If it wasn't for losing the tight games that we actually had a chance of winning earlier in the year (v Penrith, v Melbourne, v Titans, v Warriors) then we would be a good chance of a finals berth this season.

Premierships are much harder to predict. It's going to take time for Beau Henry, Siuatonga Likiliki, Joel Edwards and co. to really hit their straps at the club, but if we retain our good players, elevate some youngsters coming through and do some solid recruiting in the coming years, I'd hope by 2015 we'd at least be in with some kind of chance.

As for locals, I love seeing them succeed, whether it's with us or with another club. If we can keep them, great, but if there's better options out there we shouldn't handicap ourselves by trying to reward locals over talented players from other places.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Cool, so it'll be 2015 before the Knights are any chance of winning a premiership. Fantastic! :crazy:

Knightmare

Coach
Off-field, I think the Knights should take a leaf out of Souths' book.

5-6 years ago, all the feeling of goodwill from the Bunnies' readmission to the NRL had well and truly evaporated and they were the joke of the League, a team full of no-name park footballers with an occasional player like Adam Muir or Bryan Fletcher or David Peachy. While they had many people from all over who were supporters, few of them would be seen dead at a game or wearing merchandise. They were a club that liked to constantly reminisce about the glory days of the 50's, 60's and 70's and was run that way.

In the last few years though, they have become a very slick marketing machine, and even here in Brisbane you will see that rabbit logo on the back window of many cars, or people wearing the hoodies or training shirts or caps etc.

I like the Knights' "Defend the kingdom" campaign, but I think more needs to be done to market the clubs' image. FFS, you can't join up as a member of the club online, you have to send a fax. I mean what year is this? That is just the start of the current predicament at attracting the younger demographic perverse speaks of...

macavity

Referee
Off-field, I think the Knights should take a leaf out of Souths' book.

5-6 years ago, all the feeling of goodwill from the Bunnies' readmission to the NRL had well and truly evaporated and they were the joke of the League, a team full of no-name park footballers with an occasional player like Adam Muir or Bryan Fletcher or David Peachy. While they had many people from all over who were supporters, few of them would be seen dead at a game or wearing merchandise. They were a club that liked to constantly reminisce about the glory days of the 50's, 60's and 70's and was run that way.

In the last few years though, they have become a very slick marketing machine, and even here in Brisbane you will see that rabbit logo on the back window of many cars, or people wearing the hoodies or training shirts or caps etc.

I like the Knights' "Defend the kingdom" campaign, but I think more needs to be done to market the clubs' image. FFS, you can't join up as a member of the club online, you have to send a fax. I mean what year is this? That is just the start of the current predicament at attracting the younger demographic perverse speaks of...

I have had this discussion with them.... numerous times.

Hopefully we get somewhere with it for next year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I love the passion in here for the Knights, this is a thread I think the club itself needs to see, if not for any other reason than to deliver a few home truths.

I agree with a lot of what perverse said - although I beg to differ about the local thing. I think that while there's a lot of moving forward to do and the club needs to start attracting the newer type of support, there will always be a place for history, tradition and the "old boys" mentality in Newcastle. Even through this crap, it's a proud club.

FWIW I honestly thing the shambles with the stadium has an effect on crowd numbers, I hope that stadium is finished in time for 2011.

Latest posts