What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long?

perverse

Referee
Look at the teams in the 2001 grand final. Compare them position vs position, and you'll wonder to yourself how Smithy even got them to a grand final, let alone why everyone thought they would flog us. They were a record-smashing team that year - scored more points in a season than any team previous (and a think since, too). But yeah, Smithy can't coach at all (bold for extreme sarcasm). I think the general wisdom about Smith rings very true - he can build you a team and get them playing well - he's a brilliant strategist and has a great eye for talent - but he's a very poor man-manager.

To be honest I think the truth about Smithy is that he's just a bit weird, might even be somewhere on the autism spectrum from the outside looking in. That would make sense to me for multiple reasons (autistic people oftentimes have great talent at certain things - in Smithys case possibly Rugby League knowledge). It would also explain why he has trouble relating to, or managing his players at times.

Brian Smith should have been our head of football instead of Hages, for mine. Would be the perfect role for him - have him manage the roster and steer the football side of things from a distance... but don't let him interact with the players more than absolutely necessary. I suspect his review at the Tigers will start to pay some dividends - although I doubt Farah would have been in Smithys plans. He would have said turf Farah - he's a threat to your authority over the team. Same reason he removed Buderus. I see a lot of Smith in what the Tigers are doing at the moment, though - bringing through a lot of youth and there's some bargain buys in there too in Richards and Kev. Not paying overs for any particular player anymore, either... very moneyball-esque.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Smith was never going to be a long-term option for us but I really don't know how anyone could deny he got the absolute best out of a very shitty roster here. He's been our best coach post Ryan without a doubt. I didn't like what he did to our junior squads but he did a very good job with the first grade one with very little at his disposal in terms of players and resources.

aqua_duck

Coach
Smith's man management leaves a lot to be desired and he eventually falls out with the playing group, thats what causes the decline and it's not something I'm disputing, in 2007 we needed a clean out and he was the perfect man for the job, some of his signings were gems, getting reserve graders like Vuna, Taia, Sau, Faaoso, and turned them into good first graders and in Sau and Taia's case internationals. I mean I would never hand the reins of a good side to smith but a side looking to rebuild he's perfect for the job because he's got a great eye for talent and he's ruthless (probably a reason why he's so unpopular).

perverse

Referee
I think he's great, and was devastated when we didn't offer him a reasonable contract extension to hang around. We offered him a 1-year extension from memory, and Smithy wanted a bit more security than that (and fair enough given that we were in the top 4 at the time).

People don't like the guy because he's a bit weird and he ran a bunch of under-performing locals out of town. I don't think there are many better footy-brains going around, though... and I also miss his press conferences, lol. As I said, I'd have the guy back in Newcastle in a second - but not directly dealing with players.

macavity

Referee
Smith is definitely on the spectrum. Won't make eye contact. Watch his press conferences, he is always looking to the side.

Dude can build a squad though.

I get the feeling we would be a different (and more successful) club if we had kept him around and booted him upstairs around 2010-2011.

Brian Smith has taken every club he has coached at to GF bar us and the Steelers! He has won none but yet that seems to be the criteria to bag a bloke who makes players punch well above their weight. Houston's years under Smith were very solid. The Drug drama screwed Houston's progress. He was essentially our Himdmarsh prior to that. I will never cease to wonder what could have been if Smith was allowed his way. In 2009 we were on fire before the club forced his hand. Top four at that point I believe and looking dangerous.

Last edited: