What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Billy Slaters Karate kick to the head of David Klemmer?

How many weeks for Billy Slaters Karate kick to the head of David Klemmer?

Votes: 17 18.3%

Votes: 16 17.2%

Votes: 14 15.1%

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Season

Votes: 38 40.9%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Probably best to check the rules.

Striking, tripping or kicking an opponent is actually against the rules.

dogslife

Coach
I'm starting to think someone bet East Coast Tard a carton of Winnie Reds that he couldn't say bias over 1000 times in a day

gUt

Coach
accidental high contact is accidental high contact. If done with the hands or arms, report->penalty->tribunal.

eg why should Darcy Lussick be treated infinitely harsher by the MRC for his accidental high hit on a falling player last week when this incident is at least as bad? Doesn't make sense.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I checked the rules, i would have thought he would have got a Kicking and/or a Dangerous Conduct charge. Mustn't be against the rules if accidental, or in the air, or whatever. I'm flabbergasted that he got off, honestly. Stoked, but still completely shocked.

Last edited:

afinalsin666

First Grade
accidental high contact is accidental high contact. If done with the hands or arms, report->penalty->tribunal.

Maybe it's a case of the defender being in the wrong position? Like if a tackler gets kneed in the face, it's not a charge against the ball carrier, even though it is a high hit.

Only logic i can put on it, and it is still flimsy.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Yes, because when he first jumped into the air, and Klemmer was 10 metres away, he instantly knew he was going to kick him in the face, with full malice and forethought, while looking skyward for all except the last half a second.

If you slow down the footage enough, it looks like he took notice and extended his leg in about four seconds, but i can see why the dazzling technology of the slow motion camera must hurt your little brain so. Here's a pro tip: Slow motion is NOT real time. You can't react like it looks like you can in slow-mo.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
It's obvious he uses the technique of going up for high balls like that all time, using an outstreched leg (sprigs up) to keep people away from him, he knows what he's doing. It's a risky technique he's used for years, now it's time to pay the consquences.

Another scum bag move by a player for a scum bag club.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
How many weeks would someone get if in the act of scoring a defensive player comes across sliding in and kicks a bloke in the face? (something Slater used to and still does all time) It's exactly the same situation.

axl rose

Bench
It's obvious he uses the technique of going up for high balls like that all time, using an outstreched leg (sprigs up) to keep people away from him, he knows what he's doing. It's a risky technique he's used for years, now it's time to pay the consquences.

Another scum bag move by a player for a scum bag club.

This, basically he wants even the slightest contact with the defender to draw the penalty. Just following Bellamy orders. NRL have set a precedent for kicking now being allowed but I doubt most clubs will stoop that low.

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
But I call it as I see it, if a player trying to catch a bomb in mid air is required to ensure the safety of those trying to tackle him, then its f**king absurd.

You're seeing it wrong. It's not that Slater should ensure safety of those trying to tackle him. What he is doing when he throws his boot out like that is actively endangering anyone who comes near him.

The Rosco

Bench
Did you even watch the incident slater leaps up klemmer runs into his foot unless slater is superman and can fly he diddnt jump at a angle with foward momentum he leaped straight up and torqued his body to the right slightly with his leg hyper extended for balance.

So yes Klemmer initiated contact with his foward momentum he was not at a stand still.

So yeah you a derp.

Stormhi . . . you obviously are biased towards Billy. Not everyone here hates Melbourne. Personally, IDGAF about Slater or Melbourne, and have no bias or hatred.
Now . .sorry to tell you, but Billy did change the positioning of his foot mid air. He extended it from the natural position it was in, to an outstretched, aimed straight at the Canterbury bloke,studs outermost, attacking( sorry defending) position.
HE THEN LOOKED DOWN AT HIS FOOT AND IT'S IMMINENT IMPACT POINT.
This is an important point. He did look, and that removes all chance of "accidental".
At the interview, the first thing he says is that he was "defending himself".
That, too shows he had total intent to connect his studs with the opponent. . . irrespective of the reason for doing so.
Regardless of the outcome from the powers that be, Slater did this with intent. The powers that be still make mistakes. Like denying your team the try because of obstruction. Blind Freddy could see it was not an obstruction, yet they took the try from you. Just coz they lay down a verdict don't make it right.

Just think if Willie Mason, for example did the exact same thing to Cam, or Cooper. You would be calling for his head !!.

Liddell

Juniors
That's it guys, the only reason anyone see's this as a dog act or even just a tad dangerous is because they all hate Melbourne.

Bias, blinded by hate ect ect.

A guy copped a boot in the neck for pressuring the fullback and he's to blame...

drake

First Grade
Does it really matter if someone says he meant it or not? It's an unnecessary risk to allow it. Kemmler is a giant. 3 inches shorter and it's in the face, possibly his eye. Hell, one inch shorter and it's his adams apple and possible broken windpipe.
Not sure how something so contradictory to the rules governing dangerous contact can be given a green light. His motivation is besides the point; he could seriously f**k someone up, and the League can only blame itself if it allows different standards for marquee players.

thorson1987

Coach
That's it guys, the only reason anyone see's this as a dog act or even just a tad dangerous is because they all hate Melbourne.

Bias, blinded by hate ect ect.

A guy copped a boot in the neck for pressuring the fullback and he's to blame...

Probably not.

But, if this was about Moltzen (I know he doesn't jump for bombs) the thread wouldn't be as long as it is.

no name

Coach
It doesn't matter what the topic, ECT always takes to the next level.
On one hand you have to admire his passion, on the other he carries on like a lunatic at times.

The Rosco

Bench
It seems that the " accidental " side of this debate keep saying that billy didn't use a kicking motion with his leg, therfore didn't kick him.

Billy runs and jumps. he is travelling upward and forward. At first, his leg is in a natural position during his ascent. He then extends it more or less parallel to the ground, in line with his "trajectory" through the air. Crucially, he looks at his now extended leg/foot.
Now, I'm no superstar nrl player, but I'd figure that if you wanted to balance yourself for landing after such a high and long leap, you would look to land with both feet on the ground. Damn dangerous to land after that travel on only 1 foot, isn't it ?
However, if you wanted to put your studs into an opponent, the way to do it with maximum punishment would be to extend your leg in the direction of your travel so the force of you flying through the air is fully behind your extended and locked leg.
I'm yet to hear a logical reason for him extending his leg . . that goes towards innocence.While he didn't swing and kick, he did raise his leg to an un-natural position that guarantees his studs would be the first point of contact with Klemmers head/face/neck

Last edited:

afinalsin666

First Grade
He catches like he does for the sole reason of keeping defenders away from him, one was bound to go wrong. He did kick him in the face, he should have been suspended, and he probably shouldn't catch like that any more. Not that it is illegal, but that it is dangerous. For defenders, as we seen, and for himself. If he comes down on one leg wrong, he could well end up like poor Yow Yeh last year.

Still, saying he deliberately seen the player coming and extended his leg is ludicrous. No-one, i don't give a sh*t who you are, can react like that in real time. He is not in the freaking matrix. Even F1 drivers don't have that sort of a reaction speed. If you slow it down enough, yeah it looks like he seen Klemmer and extended his leg. In real time, he looks at Klemmer and extended his leg in all of about a half a second.

It WAS deliberate, in that it is his tactic for defusing kicks, and one was going to go wrong.
It WASN'T deliberate, in that he seen the player coming and thought "I'm gonna kick this guy in the face."