What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Jeremy Smith?

POPEYE

Coach
Anyway, the gist of what you are saying is correct. It is not as it appears, Smith is not being penalised more for appealing, the offer of leniency was retracted

betcats

Referee
I'm sure Klemmer survived.
But you misunderstand my point. What I'm saying is the judiciary has penalized the outcome, rather than the foul play. No neckbrace = no suspension. IMO.

I see what you are saying but imo an injury as a result of foul play should be judged more harshly. It was a headslam, as a result of that headslam the player was concussed and stretchered off the field, a harsher punishment is called for imo then if he was headslammed and just go up uninjured.

Big Tim

First Grade
But isn't a headslam a headslam regardless of whether there is an injury?

It is actually quite consistent.

A shoulder charge that doesnt take a bloke from the field, but causes long term injury = 0 weeks (Buderus)
A shoulder charge that concusses a player and he is removed by stretcher, but returns next week = 1 week (Faas)
A tackle with 2 players in it, that results in the head hitting the ground first, but is attributed to the player with the least amount of control in the tackle, and leads to concussion and a stretcher = 3 weeks

The system is ridiculous.

Smith had more argument going for him than any of the other 2. One wasnt even cited or penalised, and the other was downgraded.

betcats

Referee
But isn't a headslam a headslam regardless of whether there is an injury?

Yeah and armed robbery is armed robbery regardless of whether you shoot someone or not, but you will get more jail time if you shoot someone.

Edit: It seems pretty stupid to me that someone arguing for Smith would keep bringing up the injury.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I guess what I'm getting at is I doubt the injury was caused by Smith's involvement. There didn't look to be too much force in a downward motion.

Big Tim in the Knights forum said Robinson probably would have been knocked out due to Mullen's tackle and the subsequent whiplash which would have occurred from the driving part of the tackle which probably (hypothetical I know) would have caused his head to hit the ground with the same/similar amount of force.

betcats

Referee
Lol come one, he drove his head into the ground with his forearm. I mean Smiths contact was with the head and Mullens contact was with the torso and you think Mullen caused the concussion?

I find that very hard to believe.

I do think six weeks is harsh though, three or four was pretty fair for mine.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Lol come one, he drove his head into the ground with his forearm. I mean Smiths contact was with the head and Mullens contact was with the torso and you think Mullen caused the concussion?

I find that very hard to believe.

I do think six weeks is harsh though, three or four was pretty fair for mine.
No, I was saying hypothetically he could very well have been knocked out without Smith's involvement such was the solid nature of the tackle in the first place.

betcats

Referee
No, I was saying hypothetically he could very well have been knocked out without Smith's involvement such was the solid nature of the tackle in the first place.

We'll never know that though since Smith decided to slam his head into the ground.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Regardless of what the judiciary ruled (they're all muppets anyway), he didn't "slam his head into the ground." I refuse to concede that.

bottle

Coach
We'll never know that though since Smith decided to slam his head into the ground.
This.
If Smith doesn't get involved, and the bloke still ends up knocked out, then obviously there is no case.
But Smith DID get involved, and in a nasty way. Suffer the consequences.

Big Tim

First Grade
Smith was "behind" the motion of the tackle from the point Mullen left his feet.

He was essentially chasing contact, not providing it. He should have been suspended, as his involvement in the tackle most likely contributed to the fact that the head impacted the ground first, but I also refute the fact that he "slammed" his head into the ground.

As I stated in another thread. The velocity in the tackle from Mullen, and the angle that he was going into the ground would have given a significant chance that his head would have bounced off the ground anyway, causing the same result.... Other than the fact we would all be applauding an amazing tackle by a little man, rather than calling for a suspension.