What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how many weeks for Kony

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Knee was raised, connected with head. Unfortunately for Konnie serious injury guarantees a greater penalty.

No serious injury = 1-2 weeks

This situation - 4-6 weeks

Not sure he has any prior offences.

JJ

Immortal
Knee was raised, connected with head. Unfortunately for Konnie serious injury guarantees a greater penalty.

No serious injury = 1-2 weeks

This situation - 4-6 weeks

Not sure he has any prior offences.

Yeah, about 6 weeks I think... but as pointed out, he (and some others) have been doing this for a while - it's one reason he's difficult to stop - video is damning, he's looking right at Tupou and raises the knee, lowers the forearm... Tupou was unlucky and got in the wrong place, but as has been mentioned, Tupou doesn't get badly hurt and the NRL does nothing, and we celebrate another barnstorming run from Hurrell...

DiegoNT

First Grade
A lot of players still tackle around the legs. There's always going to be accidents if they get their technique wrong, Adam Reynolds against the roosters is an example. Maybe tupou's technique was wrong, but it still doesn't excuse konrad lifting he's knee and leading with it. Even if tupou technique was off it still doesn't excuse hurell lifting he's knee to contact into his head

JoeD

First Grade
Serious question - how high do you have to lift your leg for it to be illegal ?

I'm in the bad accident camp. For kony, that is his normal running style when in traffic. Manu (and others) have similar running styles is traffic. Like has been said before, no injury it's play on . . .

cleary89

Coach
4-6. Looked bad. Can't raise the knee like that.

I don't get the "it's his running style". He ran what 10 steps in the lead up to that and that was the only time he lifted his knee. Unless your saying that he always lifts his knee to brace for a tackle, which is by definition lifting his knees in a tackle.

drago brelli

Bench

I'm in the bad accident camp. For kony, that is his normal running style when in traffic. Manu (and others) have similar running styles is traffic. Like has been said before, no injury it's play on . . .

What? So when this bloke is 'running in traffic' he c**ks his knee to ward off defenders. Tupou's facial injury is one of the worst I have seen in my years of watching the game. Shades of the John Sattler injury but Tupou's was much worse. Tupou had dislodged teeth inside his mouth. A normal palm off by the hand to the face would never cause such an injury.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Well argued defence Masoe

I can see most of what you post being used to defend him. You are correct in suggesting that however well argued he will be found guilty. 3 weeks plus the 'he is not Australian' loading of 3 weeks or world cup game (whichever comes first)

So 6 weeks it is :)

Frailty

First Grade
Can't raise his knee.

It doesn't matter if he had been doing it for a while, it is by definition an illegal action and as a consequence has rubbed out a player for the year.

He should have been sent off (what constitutes a send off anymore?) and spend a long time on e sidelines.

But he will maybe get 2 because it's not a lifting tackle.

Can't raise his knee.

It doesn't matter if he had been doing it for a while, it is by definition an illegal action and as a consequence has rubbed out a player for the year.

He should have been sent off (what constitutes a send off anymore?) and spend a long time on e sidelines.

But he will maybe get 2 because it's not a lifting tackle.

But surely it does matter if only in the sense that the NRL have been aware of him doing this for years and haven't told him to stop. What can you possibly take away from that other than the NRL have been happy with his technique and considered it legal? Suddenly an injury occurs and the NRL are going to change their mind :?

The NRL should have told him not to run like this 3 years ago, before he wound up breaking someones jaw is the main argument. Hurrell shouldn't have to miss games and the Warriors shouldn't have to be without Hurrell just because the NRL don't know how to run a sport.

RWB

Bench
He was going for a hip bump which is something he's been doing for years now, it falls under accidental for mine. A couple of weeks would be justified so he's more conscious about it in the future but that was just a real unfortunate event.

There's no way he intended to lead with the knee, he was trying to get more square on than he ended up.

lockyno1

Post Whore

If that is his 'normal' running style, he needs a good holiday to change it then. It has the potential for serious injury as it has. It is Craig Smith all over again. Don't need it in our game.

carcharias

Immortal
Kneeing a bloke in the face is against the rules.
I'd go with it being an accident if it didn't look so deliberate.

Last edited: