What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how many weeks for Kony

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Charge was fair imo. Only an idiot would think it was deliberate in the sense of deliberately trying to knee Tupou in the head, but he did deliberately lift the knee to bump off the tackle, which created the potential for dangerous contact. It's like the old cases of shoulder charges gone wrong where a player when for the big shot and accidentally caught the target flush in the jaw or cranium and put them in Disneyland. Not deliberately illegal but risky.

It shouldn't be up to the NRL to warn every player that their technique is dangerous.

The onus is on the Warriors coaching staff to see this and make him adjust his style.

It shouldn't be up to the NRL to enforce their rules? What a f**king stupid thing to say.

Why would the Warriors coaching staff tell him to change a running style that was endorsed by the NRL? If the NRL were happy that his bracing for impact was legal - and the NRL were happy that his bracing for impact was legal, not a single ref ever hinted otherwise - why the f**k would McFadden or whoever else ask him to change it?

:lol:

. . . But if the NRL DID warn him 6 months ago about the danger of leading with his knee . . . I'll bet you'd have been the first one on here defending him by saying " Nobody has been hurt, dunno what the NRL's problem is"
He lead with his knee.
He raised it, and extended it before impact and held it extended from it's normal position, till it smashed into the face of his opponent.
And also had a good dose of extended and cocked forearm, too.
It don't matter if he's in traffic or not.
It ISN'T his normal running style, because when he's in the open he doesn't lead with his knees.
He only does it when confronted by a tackler. A tackler that has every right to tackle around thigh height, and be protected from a raised and cocked knee by the rules.

So in your mind, Hurrell is not at fault even though he is clearly breaking the rules. It's the NRL's fault for not telling him not to break the rules ?

And back to the original question . . . 10 weeks

I have no problem with Hurrell being told he can't run that way. My grievance is they should have told him that 3 years ago, before he broke a blokes jaws. Now we're gonna be without him for however many weeks because the NRL can't do their job right? Now the Sharks are gonna be without one of their players for however many weeks (possibly months) because the NRL can't do their job right?

What the NRL are saying by suspending him now is that there is actually no real issue with the running style, every NRL player is free to run that way, but when an injury does occur we'll vilify you and sit you out for x amount of weeks. Where's the consistency or logical sense in that? Where's the concern for player welfare? There is none.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The fact is nobody has mentioned his running style as a problem once in the last 3 years that I can remember- and it's not for want of attention, given Hurrells considerable reputation as a wrecking ball. It's only the injury that has made an issue out of it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Fair enough. I wonder how often those sort of warnings are given? We don't normally hear about them, this is the first I've heard of it.
As for Hurrell lifting his knee at contact that natural enough, he was trying to burst through a tackle I don't think he was expecting Tupou's head to be right there.

Last edited:
Looks like he had been warned twice and recently for his running style by the match review committee. Brisbane Times
Geez that looks bad in the video in the article. He lifts his knee about 15 centimeters higher when he makes impact than when he was running before impact.

If that's the case then I retract what I've said. Although I'm not ready to take the word of Brad Walters just yet (he's trying to get the NRL to fine Korbin Sims :lol::lol:)

Meth

Staff member
You definitely would get away with this running style in Tongan rugby

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You definitely would get away with this running style in Tongan rugby

It's pretty standard in NZ club/junior rugby from what I remember. Not through any intent to injure, but because thrashing the legs through contact like that is an effective way to burst through a tackler's grasp. And as far as I'm aware injuries like Tupou's are still pretty rare.

JJ

Immortal
I have no problem with Hurrell being told he can't run that way. My grievance is they should have told him that 3 years ago, before he broke a blokes jaws. Now we're gonna be without him for however many weeks because the NRL can't do their job right? Now the Sharks are gonna be without one of their players for however many weeks (possibly months) because the NRL can't do their job right?

What the NRL are saying by suspending him now is that there is actually no real issue with the running style, every NRL player is free to run that way, but when an injury does occur we'll vilify you and sit you out for x amount of weeks. Where's the consistency or logical sense in that? Where's the concern for player welfare? There is none.

They have warned him, they should have suspended him (and others) earlier

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rward-anthony-tupous-jaw-20150511-ggz3tz.html

betcats

Referee
I heard Paul Gallen talking about it on the radio yesterday. He said that he had watched the video several times and that his view was that Tupou made contact with Hurrell's hip. I can't imagine that Gal would be saying this if the powers that be at the Sharks thought otherwise.

Gallen spoke this morning on the BSB and said he had only seen one angle when he said that after the game, after another look he said it was clearly knee and thinks Kony is lucky with just 3 weeks though he wasn't angry or anything.