What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Sonny-Bill?

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Souths fans are pathetic. One good year in 42, and the go hysterical. They have been craving success for decades. They will choke come sept
I'm sorry that our craving after success has offended you so. I'll remember lower my expectations from now on in fear that it will otherwise offend more like you.

Danish

Referee
Andrew Everingham got a Grade 2 earlier this year for something fairly innocuous. Based on that you'd think SBW's is at least a Grade 3, meaning 3 weeks with an early guilty plea. Anything less would be a joke.

The everingham one was off the ball, and took Tate out of the game IIRC. Much worse than SBW's attempt. Having said that the judiciary is absolutely all over the shop with shoulder charge gradings this year, so really its a goddamned lottery.

Robbo seemed to be setting the foundantions for a case that it wasn't a shouldercharge yesterday in the press conference by mentionins Sonny's arm positioning (away from his body, not tucked as the guidelines state) so they might even slap a medium level high tackle charge on him instead (grade 2-3 careless).

My money is on 2 weeks.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The everingham one was off the ball, and took Tate out of the game IIRC. Much worse than SBW's attempt. Having said that the judiciary is absolutely all over the shop with shoulder charge gradings this year, so really its a goddamned lottery.

Robbo seemed to be setting the foundantions for a case that it wasn't a shouldercharge yesterday in the press conference by mentionins Sonny's arm positioning (away from his body, not tucked as the guidelines state) so they might even slap a medium level high tackle charge on him instead (grade 2-3 careless).

My money is on 2 weeks.

During his time in Union SBW perfected a sort of "semi shoulder charge" that he can get away with if he executes it properly. Some people have mentioned he put one of these on earlier in yesterday's game. Personally I think it was legal but he very much leads with the shoulder but also tries to wrap with the arms.

I think with this hit he tried to do something similar but got himself in a bit of a mess. Still, it was ugly and if you going looking for a hit you cop the punishment if you get yourself in a tangle and don't execute it. It amazes me how people really believe that blokes are going around making deliberate blatant high tackles though. Not saying it's impossible, but stuff like that is very rare.

Danish

Referee
Official charge from the NRL's twitter.

Grade 3 careless high tackle. 2 weeks with the early plea or 3 if he fights and loses

Danish

Referee
During his time in Union SBW perfected a sort of "semi shoulder charge" that he can get away with if he executes it properly. Some people have mentioned he put one of these on earlier in yesterday's game. Personally I think it was legal but he very much leads with the shoulder but also tries to wrap with the arms.

I think with this hit he tried to do something similar but got himself in a bit of a mess. Still, it was ugly and if you going looking for a hit you cop the punishment if you get yourself in a tangle and don't execute it. It amazes me how people really believe that blokes are going around making deliberate blatant high tackles though. Not saying it's impossible, but stuff like that is very rare.

Certainly looked very similar to the tackle on Uate, only difference being he got Uate nicely in the chest whereas Mason was collected in the head.

The charging he received reflects this as they've deemed it a high tackle rather than a shoulder charge

Danish

Referee
Interesting choice for the roosters now IMO. If they take the early plea we get him back a week earlier, but Sonny will have 76 carry over points hanging over his head. If they fight they risk 3 weeks... but also he only ends up with 19 carry over points.

Could be worth rolling the dice on an extra week now if it means giving some extra wiggle room with the carry overs in case of another charge in the finals?

ek999

First Grade
Good point. He should "fight" the charge and take the three weeks as they are only playing the Tigers in the third week

BunniesMan

Immortal
Interesting choice for the roosters now IMO. If they take the early plea we get him back a week earlier, but Sonny will have 76 carry over points hanging over his head. If they fight they risk 3 weeks... but also he only ends up with 19 carry over points.

Could be worth rolling the dice on an extra week now if it means giving some extra wiggle room with the carry overs in case of another charge in the finals?
You can relax. He wasn't even charged with a shoulder charge here.

He will literally need to kill somebody to cop a charge in the finals. He is Sonny Bill Williams and he plays for the Roosters. Protected species player in a protected species club. Don't worry about his carry over points.

Danish

Referee

He will literally need to kill somebody to cop a charge in the finals. He is Sonny Bill Williams and he plays for the Roosters. Protected species player in a protected species club. Don't worry about his carry over points.

You are leaving puddles of fear all over the place mate. Might need to switch out to the extra absorbent depends

Valheru

Coach

So most people were of the opinion that a fair penalty would be 2-3 weeks. The judiciary hands down exactly that in the charge and somehow according to you that is proof of a conspiracy.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So most people were of the opinion that a fair penalty would be 2-3 weeks. The judiciary hands down exactly that in the charge and somehow according to you that is proof of a conspiracy.
It was a grade 3 shoulder charge, should have got 5 weeks. If it was anyone else it would have been 5 weeks. Instead they reckon it wasn't a shoulder charge so he gets half of what he deserved. Because the weak NRL are too scared they'll piss him off into leaving. Little do they know he is already leaving.

Danish

Referee
OOOh cry the race card u dickhead !!
Post up some examples ??

I think most would agree that Slater, Cam Smith, Matai, and Jeremy Smith are about on par in the grub stakes.

2 of them are constant targets of the judiciary, while the other 2 rarely if ever get so much as a charge.

For mine, it looked pretty accidental.

I don't even reckon he should get any time.

FFS.

We have players grubbing dozens of times a game, each and every week, and they don't get anything.

SBW comes across as a fairly clean cut guy, plays great footy and really, it was a slip up. FMD...people wanting him rubbed out of the game. I remember the hysteria last season with GI on Young. Was laughable then, is laughable now.

Latest posts