What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Sua'ali'i

How many weeks for Sua'ali'i

• 2-3

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • 4-5

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • 6-8

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters

Meth

Staff member
Send off was fair IMO. Probably room for a little discretion given the mitigating factors and the magnitude of the game and decision, but 10 minutes would have been as lenient and the send off was harsh, so it’s a question on what side you want to err on.

Not sure about how it works out judicially but 4 weeks feel right

Valheru

Coach
Send off was fair IMO. Probably room for a little discretion given the mitigating factors and the magnitude of the game and decision, but 10 minutes would have been as lenient and the send off was harsh, so it’s a question on what side you want to err on.

Not sure about how it works out judicially but 4 weeks feel right
I think having a player off the field at all, let alone for so long is to much a disadvantage in the modern game and it goes beyond just this one incident. I think we need to look at a change.

What if in this incident he was binned but also disqualified? Meaning NSW would have to play 10 minutes with 12 on the field but Suali'i could also not return for the entire match and NSW would have only 3 on the bench for the remainder of the game?

Ultimately I would like to see the send off transform to American style ejection/disqualification where the offending team still has the full complement on the field. This works well in NFL and NBA where there is no concept of playing with less players.

In regards to professional fouls I think we could look at either 5 minute bin periods or NHL style power plays where if the team with the advantage scores a try the offending player comes back on. My rationale for that is scoring a try is deemed enough of a penalty in the case of a professional foul where a try is still scored or penalty try awarded to the point the offender does not get binned.

Anyways, that is a tangent but clearly key stakeholders are not happy with non competitive contests after 7 minutes.

Danish

Referee
The difference was martin hit him in the midriff while suaalii hit him in the head with extreme force.

You want to make a big hit you make sure you hit the right spot. Slipping down a couple of inches didn't make him shoulder his head. Just aim lower.

-
The Martin hit went well passed the horizontal and would have been a penalty outside of origin

taste2taste

Juniors
I think having a player off the field at all, let alone for so long is to much a disadvantage in the modern game and it goes beyond just this one incident. I think we need to look at a change.

What if in this incident he was binned but also disqualified? Meaning NSW would have to play 10 minutes with 12 on the field but Suali'i could also not return for the entire match and NSW would have only 3 on the bench for the remainder of the game?

Ultimately I would like to see the send off transform to American style ejection/disqualification where the offending team still has the full complement on the field. This works well in NFL and NBA where there is no concept of playing with less players.

In regards to professional fouls I think we could look at either 5 minute bin periods or NHL style power plays where if the team with the advantage scores a try the offending player comes back on. My rationale for that is scoring a try is deemed enough of a penalty in the case of a professional foul where a try is still scored or penalty try awarded to the point the offender does not get binned.

Anyways, that is a tangent but clearly key stakeholders are not happy with non competitive contests after 7 minutes.
Rugby has it sorted.
20 minutes a player down, then you can return to 15 players. The player who committed the foul can't return.

E Z P Z all sorted.

taste2taste

Juniors
I was pretty critical of Suaallii being selected, why bother with a player who won't be sticking around?

But even his biggest critics would feel bad for him, he's ruled out for the rest of the series and if he returns after his Union stint he'll be pushing 30 with his best days behind him, will be tough making another Origin.

He's origin carreer will be 7 minutes and forever remembered as the guy who lost the series for NSW

I was pretty critical of Suaallii being selected, why bother with a player who won't be sticking around?

But even his biggest critics would feel bad for him, he's ruled out for the rest of the series and if he returns after his Union stint he'll be pushing 30 with his best days behind him, will be tough making another Origin.

He's origin carreer will be 7 minutes and forever remembered as the guy who lost the series for NSW

woo up it was 20-10 after 60 odd minutes with NSW looking the stronger side, could easily still win the last two.

Valheru

Coach
Rugby has it sorted.
20 minutes a player down, then you can return to 15 players. The player who committed the foul can't return.

E Z P Z all sorted.
There you go, I didn't know that

I think 20 is too long in our game so would prefer 10

Victoire

Juniors
Rugby union sleeper agent destroys the NRL's big spectacle and in doing so takes out the game's most exciting player. Send him to Abu Ghraib where he'll be subjected to Nate Myles yelling at him all day every day

Meth

Staff member
Rugby has it sorted.

E Z P Z all sorted.

Yeah, I didn't want to point to Union doing something better than League, but there you go.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

I don't really feel bad for this kid. He has shown in multiple formats of the game (NRL, International and now Origin) that he is either just blatantly reckless with his playing style, or he's just out there to hurt people. He's young, but he has been given many opportunities to alter his style, and hasn't seemed to take any of it on board.

In all seriousness, I’m not saying there’s actually a way to properly factor this in, but I think he should get some loading for that. Not ‘superstar’, but ‘key opposition player in a big game’. There’s little doubt in my mind that this partly happened because NSW were under instruction to smash Walsh legally or otherwise. That takes it more into deliberate territory than just a tackle gone wrong or whatever.
Maguire has history of telling his players to injure opponents.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Rugby has it sorted.

E Z P Z all sorted.

Yes I support this rule as well
Doesn’t have to be 20 minutes, 10 or 15 would suffice
It focuses on punishing the player rather than punishing the team and by extension the fans who are watching. Imagine if that happened on a grand final

I would go further and forfeit any match payments from rep games if a player gets sent off.

Barney Hasslet

Juniors
Yes I support this rule as well
Doesn’t have to be 20 minutes, 10 or 15 would suffice
It focuses on punishing the player rather than punishing the team and by extension the fans who are watching. Imagine if that happened on a grand final

I would go further and forfeit any match payments from rep games if a player gets sent off.
Yes.....lets imagine that happens in a grand final, under the Union rules. Hypothetically Manly v Broncos. Tuesday afternoon Manly shock everyone by naming Nathan Brown as starting prop and dropping Taniela Paseka to 18th man. Game starts, Nathan Brown runs like a mad man, taking every run and hit up for 10mins and then first chance takes Walsh's head off with a swinging arm that knocks Walsh out cold.

Brown gets sent off, Manly defend their hearts out for 10mins and then Paseka effectively runs on in the 20th minnute exactly like any other bench prop and plays his normal game. After 20mins Manly would have their first choice team at full strength and Brisbane would be without their star.

No one would ever do that would they?

Apologies to manly & Nathan Brown, first team I could think of with an aging second string prop that would fit the argument.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Yes.....lets imagine that happens in a grand final, under the Union rules. Hypothetically Manly v Broncos. Tuesday afternoon Manly shock everyone by naming Nathan Brown as starting prop and dropping Taniela Paseka to 18th man. Game starts, Nathan Brown runs like a mad man, taking every run and hit up for 10mins and then first chance takes Walsh's head off with a swinging arm that knocks Walsh out cold.

Brown gets sent off, Manly defend their hearts out for 10mins and then Paseka effectively runs on in the 20th minnute exactly like any other bench prop and plays his normal game. After 20mins Manly would have their first choice team at full strength and Brisbane would be without their star.

No one would ever do that would they?

Apologies to manly & Nathan Brown, first team I could think of with an aging second string prop that would fit the argument.

Thankfully you’re not a coach

“Hey guys, I have a plan. It will involve us being down to 12 men for 20 minutes…”

Barney Hasslet

Juniors
Thankfully you’re not a coach

“Hey guys, I have a plan. It will involve us being down to 12 men for 20 minutes…”
10 mins.....

Im sure you are right, no coach would ever send a player out in a GF to take out the oppositions key player and reducing the risk to that coach from 80mins to 10mins would make zero difference.....Makes sense.

images
images

Game_Breaker

Coach
10 mins.....

Im sure you are right, no coach would ever send a player out in a GF to take out the oppositions key player and reducing the risk to that coach from 80mins to 10mins would make zero difference.....Makes sense.

images
images

And Lamb stayed on
You had to go all the way to the 80s to make a point and even then it didn’t stick

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Dumb player does dumb tackle, the first time a player has been sent off for a tackle in Origin in 28 years and everyone wants the rule changed?

How about blaming Suaalii for being an absolute moron.
f**k me an intelligent post from you! It's probably just anti Easts bias but you've nailed something